iPhone Video Output Option(s)?

draperd

Dec 13, 2007
I just purchased a Philips Home Theater system for my Viewsonic LCD TV and was surprised when the iPod dock that came with the Philips system did not support a video output from the iPhone. It has a separate audio and video output cable on the dock but you cannot get a picture on the TV screen.

Is my only option to view videos on my iPhone on my TV to purchase Apple's ridiculously expensive $50 AV cable? Or is there something else (maybe after-market) that I can use?

TIA

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes im sure that is is , it is either that or the 50$ universal dock from what i haev head it is either their AV cable or the universal dock, both $50..... yes i know,,,,, this is stupid

draperd

Dec 13, 2007
yes im sure that is is , it is either that or the 50$ universal dock from what i haev head it is either their AV cable or the universal dock, both $50..... yes i know,,,,, this is stupid
Don't you need the cable in addition to the universal dock in order to view video from the iPhone to your TV?

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
Cheap cable at Walmart

I was at Walmart the other day and they had a generic video output cable for the iPhone for around $10.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I was at Walmart the other day and they had a generic video output cable for the iPhone for around $10.
i doubt that cable would work - Apple now includes a special authentication chip inside their own cables that the iPhone/ipod must recognize before it outputs video. Apple will license the use of that chip out, but i think they're only doing it for more well-known and reliable manufacturers (ihome, bose, etc.).

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
i doubt that cable would work - Apple now includes a special authentication chip inside their own cables that the iPhone/ipod must recognize before it outputs video. Apple will license the use of that chip out, but i think they're only doing it for more well-known and reliable manufacturers (ihome, bose, etc.).

Interesting, at the Apple store I bought the video out cable for the iPod about a year ago, it was $20. I wonder if this cable will work in my iPhone, I will have to try it and let you know.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Interesting, at the Apple store I bought the video out cable for the iPod about a year ago, it was $20. I wonder if this cable will work in my iPhone, I will have to try it and let you know.
i have that same cable that i used with my 5G video ipod - it does NOT work with the iPhone... :(

draperd

Dec 13, 2007
I think at the present time you can use the APPLE A/V cable or the APPLE universal dock. That is it and nothing else. God bless Apple... and Capitalism.:laugh2: