iPhone Video Player?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

arminzol

Aug 29, 2007
What video formats does iPhone play? can it play .avi or .mpg videos or does all the videos have to be encoded for it to play in iPhone?

eugchen23

Bronze
Jul 22, 2010
it annoys me so much that this is the case, and has been since the ipod video first came out....come on Apple, let us play avi's and divxs....that is the most common form of video. i HATE converting over first....such a waste of time

eugchen23

Bronze
Jul 22, 2010
my question too---i installed oplayer and openstreamer (VLC), and cant really figure out how to use it...has anyone used these two apps with success in player avi files?

eugchen23

Bronze
Jul 22, 2010
ok just installed openstreamer (VLC) and transferred files over with OpenSSH....transferred a divx file....the app sucks.,...there is tons of buffering and stuttering, rending the file unwatchable....

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I originally felt down about the iPhone only supporting MP4 as far as video is concerned, too, but after converting many files and testing the quality, MP4 is hands down the best looking video I've seen on a mobile device! It is smooth and sharp with no sync issues, if converted correctly with the proper program.

NuMystic

Aug 12, 2009
I'll never convert another video again… OPlayer is working flawlessly for my .avi files. No buffering/stuttering problems at all. OpenStreamer (VLC) is rendered useless because of those very problems.