iPhone Video Recorder - second killer-app from DreamCatcher

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Got mine working again!

I got mine working again... I uninstalled it, then SSH'd and deleted the folder /private/var/mobile/media/iPhoneVideoRecorder, then I cleared all my cache in the Settings/Safari section (just for shits and giggles). I then rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app, and I now have the 'Continue Evaluation' back!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I forget who mentioned it, but apparently the harbinger of "shady businesss practices" has rung true once again.

Allegedly stolen code, unannounced disabling, and now uncredited "endorsement" without, um, endorsement. Sure sounds like three strikes to me.

Please don't pay for this, folks. uShow is apparently right around the corner.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I got mine working again... I uninstalled it, then SSH'd and deleted the folder /private/var/mobile/media/iPhoneVideoRecorder, then I cleared all my cache in the Settings/Safari section (just for shits and giggles). I then rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app, and I now have the 'Continue Evaluation' back!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Whats SSH? I'm on a Macintosh PowerBook
It stands for secure shell and is a secure method for connecting to a remote system - in our case generally connecting from a computer to the iPhone. Here's a little guide I've chucked out here a few times for people wanting to use it for the first time:

Requirements:

A jailbroken iPhone. For this guide we will assume you are running the current latest iPhone firmware, Version 1.1.4.
An SSH program on your computer. A couple of good free options are WinSCP for a Windows PC, and Cyberduck for a Mac.
The BSD Subsystem installed on your iPhone. You’ll find this under the System category in Installer.
OpenSSH (or another SSH variant) installed on your iPhone. This is also found under the System Category in Installer.
iPhone and computer need to be on the same (usually wireless) network. For the sake of this guide, we’ll assume both are on a home wireless network.
An ability to turn SSH On and Off on the iPhone. SSH programs on the iPhone do not create an icon on the home screen, so one of the easiest ways to do this is to use the BossPrefs application on the iPhone (to install it you’ll need to add the BigBoss source to Installer - which is http://sleepers.net/iPhonerepo). There are other iPhone applications that do this as well, but BossPrefs is currenty the best of these in my view.

Steps:

* Make a note of your iPhone’s IP address. To find this, on your iPhone go to Settings > WiFi and tap on the blue arrow to the right of the name of your home network. On the screen that comes up, note the set of numbers listed in the IP Address field.
* Turn SSH On, on the iPhone. With BossPrefs and other similar applications, this is just a matter of tapping on the SSH entry to toggle it on and off. Please Note: it is good idea to make sure you toggle SSH back off when you are through using it.
* Launch your SSH app on your computer. WinSCP will land you on a new ‘Session’ screen straight away. On Cyberduck, you’ll need to choose ‘Open New Connection’. See screencaps at the top of this post and below for a look at how these screens appear. Then you need to fill in a few fields to specify how you want to connect and what device you want to connect to. The fields are named slightly differently depending on which program you use, but they are similar enough that you should be able to fill them in as follows:
Hostname or Server = enter your iPhone’s IP address in this field
File Protocol = should be SCP on WinSCP and SFTP on Cyberduck
Username = enter ‘root’ (without the quotes) in this field
Password = enter ‘alpine’ in this field (without the quotes) or whatever you have changed root’s password to, if you have ever changed it.
* Once you have entered the information as above, hit ‘Login’ on WinSCP or ‘Connect’ on Cyberduck. It may take up to 30 seconds or so to connect.
* You will see a confirmation message asking if you will accept key exchange / connection with the device with the iPhone’s address. You’ll need to say Yes or Allow on these.

Once connected, you are presented with an Explorer-like view of the file system on the iPhone, or of the iPhone and your own computer. Once there, you can copy files and folders back and forth between the computer and iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Ha! I was wondering what happened there.
Two of the same threads + both in the wrong category = bad news

Not to mention, it's a commercial app. If this were a DVD converter app, he'd be zapped. Maybe I'm getting more lenient in my old age.:)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Two of the same threads + both in the wrong category = bad news

Not to mention, it's a commercial app. If this were a DVD converter app, he'd be zapped. Maybe I'm getting more lenient in my old age.:)
I didn't realize there was any issue with discussing commercial apps. There have been several discussed in EIC - Labyrinth and Voice Dial etc.. And there will be plenty more once the App Store opens ...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I didn't realize there was any issue with discussing commercial apps. There have been several discussed in EIC - Labyrinth and Voice Dial etc.. And there will be plenty more once the App Store opens ...
There isn't an issue with discussion of commercial apps and announcements are acceptable. Offering support of commercial apps is actually encouraged. Multiple threads of the same topic (promoting a commercial app) is not accepted, as it borders on spam.

So, yes to announcements in the right category and a big yes to offering readers of EIC support for said commercial apps. Overall, if a post provides some useful benefit to members of this forum, then it passes. Take the DVD converter spam as a different example. There are a million of those apps and a million web sites that come here to simply post a link and leave. Back to the OP. This appears to be an exciting app and in some ways unique -- thus, offering interest to many readers here at EIC.

Kind of a gray area, but benefit to readers of EIC always trumps other factors when making that type of call.

-Chris

fosterhere

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Cold Spring on Hudson, NY
patrickj thank you for your response, I'm sure it will help some. but Im just not geek enough to get it. It's just way too much mumbo jumbo for me to go through to get my video camera back, to be honest clicking the little pay now button and $24.95 credit card is a whole lot easier for me ;)

FWIW I tried to jailbreak my phone before ZiPhone and it was a 4 day nightmare. I'm just not the hacker I used to be in my youth :(

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
There isn't an issue with discussion of commercial apps and announcements are acceptable. Offering support of commercial apps is actually encouraged. Multiple threads of the same topic (promoting a commercial app) is not accepted, as it borders on spam.

So, yes to announcements in the right category and a big yes to offering readers of EIC support for said commercial apps. Overall, if a post provides some useful benefit to members of this forum, then it passes. Take the DVD converter spam as a different example. There are a million of those apps and a million web sites that come here to simply post a link and leave. Back to the OP. This appears to be an exciting app and in some ways unique -- thus, offering interest to many readers here at EIC.

Kind of a gray area, but benefit to readers of EIC always trumps other factors when making that type of call.

-Chris
Got it - all makes sense and thanks for the clarification.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
patrickj thank you for your response, I'm sure it will help some. but Im just not geek enough to get it. It's just way too much mumbo jumbo for me to go through to get my video camera back, to be honest clicking the little pay now button and $24.95 credit card is a whole lot easier for me ;)

FWIW I tried to jailbreak my phone before ZiPhone and it was a 4 day nightmare. I'm just not the hacker I used to be in my youth :(
LOL - fair enough. I can understand that, especially if you've had a previous bad experience with jailbreaking. And honestly, of all the apps that have wanted to be paid for so far, I think this one has a very strong case for justifying it ...

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Despite their unethical "borrowing" of comments from forums and posting them on their site as favorable comments, the product is very well written and I have used it a lot. I went ahead and purchased it just to stop the pop up from happening over and over again. It is one of the few applications that works as advertised and the filesize compared to the other programs available makes it a front runner in my opinion. Of course that might change with the software coming out from the Developers Kit, but for now it is the best in its class.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Despite their unethical "borrowing" of comments from forums and posting them on their site as favorable comments, the product is very well written and I have used it a lot. I went ahead and purchased it just to stop the pop up from happening over and over again. It is one of the few applications that works as advertised and the filesize compared to the other programs available makes it a front runner in my opinion. Of course that might change with the software coming out from the Developers Kit, but for now it is the best in its class.
I agree it is a frontrunner, and hopefully we'll see it continue to develop and show up in the App Store as well.

Agree with you that the 'borrowing' of comments is out of line. Hope that maybe if you point that out to them, they may correct that situation as well ...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
new update

Looks nicer, better interface, but in the settings, the portrait and landscape mode settings are reversed, so if you set it to lansdcape. it'll be in portrait mode.