iPhone Video Recorder vs Cycorder

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I just played with both apps.

iPhone Video Recorder

Pros: Ability to change quality, size, orientation & sound of videos. Ability to upload to Youtube.

Cons: Quality is not very good. Long wait for video to finish after recording stops. Very buggy for an app that has already been out on previous versions of the iPhone. Price ($20).

Cycorder

Pros: Very good video quality. Immediate viewing after recording stops. Price (Free).

Cons: No sound yet but that was addressed in the description & will be updated within a week or so. No abilty to change the quality, size or orientation of the videos but the video quality certainly makes up for all its shortcomings. Unable to upload to any hosting site "yet".

Conclusion:

I give a thumbs up to the Cycorder because of the much better video quality & this version is most likely in beta. It should only get better with with later versions. IMO, the Cycorders video quality even surpasses the V1 iPhone video recorder quality final versions video quality. That says a lot about an app at its infancy.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Here's a sample video I did with Cycorder on my iPhone 3G. Quality is great for camera phone. Now all we need is an update with audio & we're set.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Here's a sample video I did with Cycorder on my iPhone 3G. Quality is great for camera phone. Now all we need is an update with audio & we're set.

You're right, the quality is pretty good. Too bad I haven't jailbroken my 3G yet. :oops:

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Yeah but you get about a 2 MB file for only a 12 second video, whereas about 700k file in iPhoneVideoRecorder (which by the way really is an awful name, lol). Plus, Cycorder doesn't even have audio yet, and the files are already too large. Compression is important, even if it makes the video quality go down a bit. The video quality does look a tad better in Cycorder, but remember that iPhoneVideoRecorder vids are compressed, WITH audio.

All in all, any idiot would choose iPhoneVideoRecorder at the moment. Who wants to record video with no audio? When Cycorder gets audio support, then we can see how large the files are, then each can make their own judgment about which they choose.

C

cadsii

Yeah but you get about a 2 MB file for only a 12 second video, whereas about 700k file in iPhoneVideoRecorder (which by the way really is an awful name, lol). Plus, Cycorder doesn't even have audio yet, and the files are already too large. Compression is important, even if it makes the video quality go down a bit. The video quality does look a tad better in Cycorder, but remember that iPhoneVideoRecorder vids are compressed, WITH audio.

All in all, any idiot would choose iPhoneVideoRecorder at the moment. Who wants to record video with no audio? When Cycorder gets audio support, then we can see how large the files are, then each can make their own judgment about which they choose.

hmm

1. i'd rather encode on the pc since it does it 10 times as quick...
imagine recording a 30 minute video with IVR and having to wait 2 hours for it to encode...
2. cycorder can record 5 hour of video straight without a problem
3. i'd take good video with voice over over shitty video & sound and lag

but thats just me

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida

Well, $20 is pretty steep for subpar video quality. I have a 16gb iPhone so memory is not an issue. If I start accumulating too much video on my iPhone, I'll simply move them to my computer. The developer, Saurik, who is the same developer for Cydia, hence the name Cycorder, already advised an update will be made in the next week which will have audio & I can also assure you, if he charges, probably won't exceed $10. That's half the price of IVR. I too, would rather have an uncompressed/unencoded video to keep the high quality. This way, I still have an option to compress or encode it on my computer if I choose. With IVR, your stuck with crappy video quality,

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Here's the same sample that was compressed on my computer down to 1mb. The quality wasn't affected much & still better than IVR quality.

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I agree about the whole argument of compression versus quality. However, until Cycorder gets audio, it's quite useless at the moment.

Once Cycorder get's audio, IVR will only have one edge: ability to upload directly to YouTube, which really isn't that important, unless you're on the road and you want to share your video to the masses asap.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
IVR is still buggy also. I recorded a 5 minute video & when I stopped to compress, it gave me an error over & over again so I just missed a good opportunity to record something important because the 5 minute video file cannot be compressed for some reason. This made me weary on it's reliability. With Cycorder, you don't have to worry whether or not it will be successful in compressing the whole file. It's ready to view right after you stop recording & ready to shoot another video immediately if need be. I really don't use youtube anymore so I wouldn't care if the Jay didn't include a direct upload feature to youtube. There are other free hosting sites out there that do a better job & not degrade video quality of your files like youtube does. I use vimeo. Vimeo even lets you upload HD content if you have an HD video camera and you if choose to download the video, vimeo also let's you do so unlike youtube.

imme

Bronze
Aug 10, 2008
if I need a 30 sec video with sound I'd go with ivr anything else cycorder
So cycorder is the better of the two. Eassssyyyy

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
am i just missing something? i see and have downloaded cycorder but i can't find ivideorecorder anywhere on cydia installer....

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
Video Recorder

am i just missing something? i see and have downloaded cycorder but i can't find ivideorecorder anywhere on cydia installer....
Try to search for "Video Recorder" in the multimedia section. The name of it now is "VideoRecorder3g"

It doesn't look like you can email the videos anymore.

imme

Bronze
Aug 10, 2008
anybody cydia not updating?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
anybody cydia not updating?
It doesn't seem to refresh when Cydia is launched but if you go to "changes", you can refresh it manually. Maybe Mr. Freeman is making some updates to it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I tried both yesterday and today and decided to go with Cycorder. The quality is a ton better and I don't really care ow big the files are; most of the videos will be transferred to my MacBook. Lack of audio doesn't bug me; it'll come and audio quality in iPhoneVideoRecorder is pretty awful.

imme

Bronze
Aug 10, 2008
It doesn't seem to refresh when Cydia is launched but if you go to "changes", you can refresh it manually. Maybe Mr. Freeman is making some updates to it.
still nothing unless cydia hasn't updated anything since Saturday?

Plouie415

Jul 10, 2008
Search it and downloaded it works GREAT!
No sound tho, I'm I doing something wrong?

jUeLz23

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
yeah i just tried cycorder today..
its awesome.. quality of the video is amazing.. cant wait till audio.. plus its free. amazing