iPhone videos

kirk444

Nov 21, 2007
when someone sends me an email with a video attachment something that says " mime-attachment" appears and i can't view it....Am I doing something wrong or maybe you just can't view these attachments on iPhones...help

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
when someone sends me an email with a video attachment something that says " mime-attachment" appears and i can't view it....Am I doing something wrong or maybe you just can't view these attachments on iPhones...help
you are not doing anything wrong. You simply can't view these attachments on the phone.
s

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Have your friends send you a video in quicktime format (.mov), not as a mime attachment, which is a form of compression that the iPhone does not process. Make sure they know they should be less than 10 MB to properly display.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
For correctness MIME stands for Multipart Internet Mail Extension and even a quicktime movie (.mov file) is usually transmitted using the MIME protocol.

The fact that it's a mime attachment has nothing to do with the video not being watchable, and nothing to do with compression either. It's just the fact that the mime attachment described most probably is of a type that the iPhone doesn't understand (Which is most of them!)

geordisjd is quite right - quicktime movies are by far the best option - and probably the only option at that.