iPhone virus

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by shearwave, Jul 12, 2013.

1. shearwave

shearwave New Member

This just started today. I am in china. When I go to safari and open a new page I get an error message from google stating that my phone is trying to upas to google and will not let me get to my requested page. Google has a link to possible causes I went there and it sounds like I now have a virus in my iPhone. How can I get rid of it?! I checked the AppStore and didn't see any iPhone virus detectors?! B

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is definitely not a virus. There are no iPhone viruses and no security software is necessary on iPhones. It's likely that the problem you are experiencing has to do with Internet restrictions in China. Are you using cellular or WiFi? Do you experience the same problem on other networks?

3. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Technically, yes, but is it likely? No.
    iPhones are currently at a very, very low risk for viruses. There are very few iPhone viruses out there, and the ones that are running around, are only likely to affect Jailbroken iPhones.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There is a potential security problem if someone jailbreaks and installs OpenSSH but fails to change the default SSH password. That's like leaving your front door wide open at night. Any computer or smartphone would be vulnerable in that position. There was a worm or something that affected some jailbroken users in Australia a few years ago who hadn't changed their SSH password. IIRC, their phones were locked and they got Rickrolled on the lock screen. However, there are no known iPhone viruses and no security software is necessary - jailbroken or not. Just change that default jailbreak SSH password if you use it.

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

#5 iP5, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah. Pretty cool, isn't it? But at least it gave you a chance to rag on your favorite phone some more.

#6 Napoleon PhoneApart, Aug 17, 2013
  7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Disappointing, but it was just a proof of concept and not a real malicious app. The bottom line is the App Store and iOS are still hundreds of times more secure than Android and no antivirus software is necessary at this time.

Hobbled mulitasking? It does exactly what I need it to do, and the battery life is great as a result of the way it works. You can pull up the list on Android and see apps that you haven't used in weeks still running in the background, needlessly using resources. No thanks.

#7 Europa, Aug 17, 2013
  8. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Do wish that base Android had a quick kill all function, though I guess a daily reboot would prevent running apps for weeks. Fortunately a kill all function in notifications is quite common on most ROMs.

A similar peeve for me on my stock iPod is that the tasks listed under the tray survive a hard reboot. What's with that. Although it's altogether possible that I'm doing the hard boot incorrectly. You reboot daily right? Or is that only when you're JB?

9. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Rag on my favorite phone?

I've no issues admitting that the potential of a key logger catching my bank account and password is a concern for me. On the other hand it's not like I look for every opp to post such material.

---

Really though, I thought I was at least trying to be even handed about my post.

It's not like I have a quick stock list of why I couldn't live on iOS.

Anyway, iOS is often pitched as near risk-less as far as malware goes. Sure there's that stuff about location tracking. To me, that was pretty minor league. This report though I thought would be a service to this community as risk is often relegated to the JB'ers.

In any case I wasn't trying to draw people to any other platform. Again see my admission about bigger vulnerabilities elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 4

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The apps keep running even after a reboot on Android. They don't continue to run on iOS after reboots. They just stay in the task switcher for quick task switching. If it's beyond the first page of the task switcher, I just launch them from the springboard.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This drives me crazy on my HTC One. I'd like to be in control of what apps I have running. I don't like apps that I haven't run for months starting up without my opening them. This has happened with every Android phone I've owned.

12. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Absolute misinformation obviously based on the one Android unit you're routinely exposed to. More details to follow in reply to Naps posting. Suffice to say though that Android apps do not survive reboots normally.

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

My first thought was you're bonkers. Fortunately my wife has the HTC One.

Settings | Power | Disable Fast Restart

I think its HTC copying the Windows hibernate function. Agreed it is more useful if you power off your phone.

And for the record this has not happened across any of the multitude of Android phones I've owned. Base Android kills all apps on reboots and unlike the iOS task switcher, makes it clear that they've been killed.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's total bullcrap. I rebooted yesterday and apps I haven't run for ages are showing up in my "running apps" list with an option to shut them down.. This is on a "flagship" phone, mind you, and has occurred on all Android phones I've ever used. Don't try to play the "Absolute misinformation obviously based on the one Android unit" card with me, because I'm not buying it. I'm sure that's why app killers and wakelock detectors are so popular on Google Play.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Bull. This behavior has occurred on my Droid Incredible, my EVO, my S3 and now my One. It's not brand- or model-specific. If you don't want to admit there's a problem, that's fine, but don't tr to convince me otherwise as I've seen the identical problem in multiple phones.

16. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Have you read the following reply to you? I checked the HTC One before replying. Its stock. I had a dozen+ apps running. Then I restarted the phone, brought up the tasks and it was empty. Same with a reboot on my N4 and all my past phones.

Did you try checking your settings?

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yes, but within a few hours or a couple of days the apps creep back. Period.

18. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Hmmmm. OK, now that I think of it, I've not run a stock Android for much longer than a week since the G1. CM is my general go to. But I did test the HTC One before replying and with the Fast Restart disabled, there no apps surviving reboot.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Let's just agree to disagree. I know what I'm seeing in front of my eyes, and I know what I've seen in my previous Android phones. It doesn't make them bad phones, but I don't appreciate not having control over this part of the UI.

20. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

The app creeps back after being killed and without you triggering it. Wow, you've got me bewildered. My apologies. I've not used a task manger since 2.3 and the single tap kill all function in CM has been standard for years now. And I've never seen an app "creep" that I did not trigger myself. I'd know since at most I have 10 apps active since swiping away and app or killing them all outright is quite simple.