iPhone Volume Test

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
I did a test using restore on two different notebook computers and my iPhone.

Why?

Well I discovered that doing a restore would fix the low speaker sound temporarily on my iPhone and the sound would be nice and loud. A few hours later, the sound would go bad again and be low.

Now here is why I think this is a software problem.

On my Windows XP laptop, I made sure when I did the restore, that I deleted the old iPhone restore image so that iTunes would have to download a new one. I also did that on my MacBook Pro. My first test was run on the Windows box. Restore went through all the paces. After the final reboot, I immediately went to the sounds setting and tried ALL the iPhone ringers. They were all crystal clear and LOUD! I tried calling my phone from upstairs while my iPhone was downstairs and I could hear my iPhone ringing from upstairs! I was very excited thinking I had fixed it, till I woke up the next morning and the sound was low and distorted again. During the test when the sound was nice and loud, I had also played a few songs through the speaker and they were nice and loud and clear as well, so much that I had to turn down the speaker volume! But as I said, a few hours later that all changed and something happened to where the sound was all messed up again.

Now on the MacBook Pro, I did exactly the same thing. Did the restore on the phone and immediately went to the ringer sounds and tried all of them and this time, the sounds were all low and distorted. HUH? Somethings not right here.

Ok so I went back to the Windows box and did another restore. Same exact thing happened with the restore, the sounds were all nice and loud and crystal clear.....until a few hours went by and the sounds were all crappy again.

I have no idea if something in my own settings file is causing this after all my settings are transferred but all I know is it keeps happening over and over on my Windows box.

I am also guessing that the same thing would happen to most of you, doing a restore on some of your computers would temporarily fix the sound problem and judging by all the posts, it would not fix it permanently.

Apple has to know that there is a problem with this because of all the people who have returned their phones due to this. If I had discovered this thing happening with the restore, I would have taken mine back for an exchange within the 14 days but now it's been three weeks. I did email Apple telling them about all of this. Hopefully it gets fixed in the update.

This is NOT a speaker issue, it's PURELY SOFTWARE RELATED. I guarantee you this can be fixed.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
It is interesting. Let me get this straight. You could not get the volume to increase with a Mac and you could not get the volume to increase without doing some manipulation to the linked computer?

I'm old and admittedly getting hearing problemos, so have been hesitant to blame the phone but I do wish it was some louder. Its OK when its so my ear or using the ear buds but the volume settings are all the way up with either. The speaker phone is fine in the quiet of the office but is borderline in the car. Butt folks on the other end complain when I have them on speaker ( I haven't gotten on the other end as a test myself).

So I'm hesitant to be critical as to whether I really have a volume issue or not. I use the Alarm ring tone for the phone as its the loudest I could find.

Strange update:

Today I go to make a phone call and place it on the speaker phone, the sound is LOUD. I didn't do anything to the phone today. I can play a song through the speaker and it is loud and not distorted. It probably won't stay that way for more than an hour or two. Very strange.

mblind

Jul 13, 2007
volume fix

Yes, But when is Apple giving us the update.. UGH.. Yes I know the phone just came out June 29th.. But not being able to hear people on my phone is getting REALLY OLD... REALLY FAST..

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Went to my ATT store yesterday (no Apple store in town).

Compared sound on their display units with mine and no question theirs were louder ringtones and music. As I said above, mine is OK but could/should be better. Not sure what to do. Is it software and will upgrade help or is it hardware? Of course as others ahve said about the ATT sales folks, they are not up to speed on the iPhone -- I had to show the young man where the speaker was and he told this old codger I was wrong until I covered it with my finger!

On another note, the guy said they are getting shipments "regularly" but cannot keep them in and continue to sell all they get immediately. The did not have the Apple headset and did not know when they would have any.