iPhone Vs. Blackberry Curve

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 24, 2007
Bay Area, CA
OK, well it was an easy battle in the AT&T store when the rep suggested I get an iPhone over the Blackberry Curve. When I asked what phone she had, she had the Curve (go figure). She told me that she got her phone for really cheap and that they were not allowed to have an iPhone (whoa?).

Anyways, onto my thread. Some of the main reasons for my choice of the iPhone was easier texting, better visuals, music files, receipt of e-mail, and great web access. On my 4th day with my iPhone I am finding that the $150 cost for the Blackberry Curve seems like a bargain compared to the features I got with my iPhone at $399.
  • No MMS. OK, this really bothers me. Does Apple realize how many send pics with text? I mean, this is like HUGE for me and my friends that always send each other pictures and videos from their RZRS. 1 Point for Blackberry.
  • No multiple texting. Again, something that really bothers me since I send out texts to large parties for crucial information that they should all have. Another point for Blackberry.
  • Better visuals. The iPhone screen cannot be touched in terms of clarity and size. Definitely a plus for viewing movies and youtube. 1 big point for iPhone.
  • Sexiness. iPhone hands down. This phone looks so cool and sleek that people just want to touch it and look at it. Point iPhone.
  • No Hotmail access. OK, so I can get AOL, G-Mail, Yahoo, but no hotmail (@msn.com)? What gives? Another point for blackberry.
  • Music Files. Picture flow is way cool. Point for the iPhone.
  • Edge Vs. 3G. Blackberrys web access on the 3G network is blazing compared to the "slowskies" on EDGE. Point for Blackberry.
  • Monthly bill. I have the family talk plan on AT&T. We added the data plan for my iPhone and my bill went up like $20 a month. The sales rep stated that if I went with the Blackberry, it would go up even more (not sure why). Her line was "pay more now for iPhone or pay more later for Blackberry". This may be a wash.
:(Im sorry to sound like a pesamist (is that spelled right?), and I know my points seem 1 sided. Im just thinking I bought the wrong phone for my needs. I wanted an iPod (since I am a music enthusiast) and needed to upgrade my RZR. I figured getting an iPhone was a no brainer. Can the Blackberry Curve do all those things above that the iPhone cant?

I need your help forum! Whats advantages does the iPhone have over the blackberry? I have 26 days left to return this phone and want to feel confident I have the right phone for the job!

Thanks,
Mark

kotsos

Nov 3, 2007
1) MMS. There is a third party application which you can use on the iPhone which allows you to send MMS. It is not completely perfected yet but I guess updated versions will get it right eventually.

2) Multiple SMS. There is a third party application called SMSD which takes care of that.

3) Just make a shortcut for hotmail on Safari. Problem solved.

4) 3G. Yes that is a problem for the iPhone. But on the bright side of things my tmobile edge is sufficiently fast for me so I am good.

miketl

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
1) MMS. There is a third party application which you can use on the iPhone which allows you to send MMS. It is not completely perfected yet but I guess updated versions will get it right eventually.

2) Multiple SMS. There is a third party application called SMSD which takes care of that.

3) Just make a shortcut for hotmail on Safari. Problem solved.

4) 3G. Yes that is a problem for the iPhone. But on the bright side of things my tmobile edge is sufficiently fast for me so I am good.

hey bud,

i have the SMSD application and all it does for me is ables me to delete individual sms's rather than deleting a whole conversation.

I'm i missing something?
how are you able to send multiple messages with this app

thanks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you may be better served waiting for iPhone2 later in 08... maybe by then some of your other problems will have been solved with the SDK.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Quite frankly, I don't think you can fairly compare the two. They were created to serve two different needs/demographics. BB is designed for the mobile businesss traveler who does email all damned day long and needs the emails NOW NOW NOW, plus a phone and some Internet added in. iPhone is designed for those who want their media with them (Video iPod) plus Internet and phone added in.

I basically went from a Treo (which is essentially a BB with less muscular email) to the iPhone so that I could converge a Treo and an Archos. It's not the perfect blend (since the Archos is also a portable 100G hard disk), but it will satisfy my needs over 90% of the time and eliminates having to carry/charge/care for both devices.

You need to decide if you need brute force email more than you want a built-in iPod and awesome surfing.

Dec 24, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Thanks forum! I like the idea that my phone is more media savvy than e-mail mogul. My only wish is that the texting gets better and more in line with rest of the others. I think that is enough for me to feel I made the right purchase.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, to alleviate your email woes, you might consider creating a gmail account and forwarding you old email to the gmail. i've done this with two hotmail accounts, and it works great.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
before I bought my iPhone. I was thinking of getting a blackberry curve. Its a nice phone but its no iPhone. The web is not the same, no wifi, iPhone dominates when it comes to music and movies. I'm sort of an Apple fan boy on top of that so the iPhone takes the cake. You'll enjoy it more than any other phone especially in feb when third party applications are allowed.

Dec 24, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Yah, I agree that the web browsing is then best Ive seen on a phone. The more I use it the more I like it. I was looking into the possible forwarding options of my hotmail account and if you are correct, then you said it best..."problem solved".

BB Curve was a nice phone. Very functional but not the media player and that is HUGE to me. This is my first purchase of an Apple product so I have been weary to buy (for reliability purposes). So far so good.

EBO

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yah, I agree that the web browsing is then best Ive seen on a phone. The more I use it the more I like it. I was looking into the possible forwarding options of my hotmail account and if you are correct, then you said it best..."problem solved".

BB Curve was a nice phone. Very functional but not the media player and that is HUGE to me. This is my first purchase of an Apple product so I have been weary to buy (for reliability purposes). So far so good.

EBO
The Internet on the iPhone is not the best you've seen. It's the best everyone has seen. It is the best.

- John

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
The Curve is a superior device.

The only thing the iPhone has that the Curve could benefit from is the browser.

Other than that the email on the iPhone is awful and the keyboard overall is a lot less accurate.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I need your help forum! Whats advantages does the iPhone have over the blackberry? I have 26 days left to return this phone and want to feel confident I have the right phone for the job!

Thanks,
Mark
No you don't. The iPhone must be returned within 14 days. I'm surprised no one caught that in your post.

kotsos

Nov 3, 2007
hey bud,

i have the SMSD application and all it does for me is ables me to delete individual sms's rather than deleting a whole conversation.

I'm i missing something?
how are you able to send multiple messages with this app

thanks

miketl,

If you look closely, there is an icon on the bottom left of the screen. If you touch on the icon, it takes you to the "write a new message" screen. On that screen you can write an sms message but if you notice on the top when you have to choose the sms receiver contact, there is a plus "+" button that if you press it allows you to choose more than one contact. I hope this helps.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
first determine your needs.

If you text message a lot , email and have a need for MMS. Get the curve.
The curve is a nice device and has built in GPS.

If you need an all around entertainment device then stick with the iPhone.

IMHO... iPhone 2 is around the corner. and like what a few members have stated, might as well wait to see if you issues are addressed by that time.

i agree with durkadurka, the Curve is a nice device. I have an iPhone myself cause i commute daily to the city and didn't want to have multiple devices in my pockets.

So just determine what your true needs are and pick the device that best suits them

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
OK, well it was an easy battle in the AT&T store when the rep suggested I get an iPhone over the Blackberry Curve. When I asked what phone she had, she had the Curve (go figure). She told me that she got her phone for really cheap and that they were not allowed to have an iPhone (whoa?).

Mark

This is exactly what I said in another thread this past week, and everyone said I was nuts! So there folks read it again.

Thanks Mark