iPhone vs. HTC Touch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hello All,
I just got the HTC Touch earlier today. I really like the small, lightweight design. I think the screen, is a bit cheesy being that it is plastic. The interface is very crisp and clean. I love having Windows Mobile on a phone that is truly touchscreen. Wow, I have to restate, I cannot for the life of me understand why HTC, chose plastic over glass for the Touch's screen. T

The iPhone Safari browser, of course blows away any current PDA phone's browser on the market today. The Touch has a very nice and usable browser, but can't hold a candle to the iPhone.

The Touch's keyboard is very cramped and extremely hard to use. I thought the same thing with the iPhone but the Touch is worst. I think, compared to the Touch, the iPhone's keyboard could be considered roomy.

I know many of you (including myself) complained about the low volume on the iPhone. The Touch volume will wake up the dead, the ringer is LOUD, the speaker phone is LOUD & alerts are LOUD.

The iPhone's video resolution is much better than the Touch. I will say though that the Touch does have a very vibrant screen. The 3G connection makes the browsing and streaming video, downloads and internet music a breeze, being very fast, crisp and clear.

I would never give up my iPhone, I love it. The Touch is a SERIOUS competitor, if you are looking for a phone that offers, what the iPhone is missing. If the iPhone had some of the features that the Touch has, I would be a one phone owner. M

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Never been interested in the Touch, and never thought it would be able to compete with the iPhone, now I'm even less interested, Thanks...no really!

I do like the fact that you pointed out how 3g is very fast....you hear that Apple?

How's battery life when on 3g?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Never been interested in the Touch, and never thought it would be able to compete with the iPhone, now I'm even less interested, Thanks...no really!

I do like the fact that you pointed out how 3g is very fast....you hear that Apple?

How's battery life when on 3g?
Battery life is really great, I've been using it all day and it's still half charged. I gave it a good work out to. Hey, guess what, I have cut and paste..HaHa! M:laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Oh and btw, DAMN do you have a LOT of toys, or should it be called gadgetry?!

miquel

Oct 22, 2007
The only problem I have with the Touch is the lack of Wi-fi. HTC...what were you thinking?
The other problem is the monochromatic HTC home plug-in. It needs some color to bring it to life. But, it is really hard to beat Mobile6 for an OS. There are a lot of cool 3rd party apps out there.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Oh and I can't believe they use a plastic screen, don't they know that the glass screen of iPhone is superior to all, should become the standard for touch screens as far as I'm concerned...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
ive been into every att that i can think if and they never have it in stock, i haven't had a chance to play with it yet but i hope to soon

edit: ignore me .. i thought that we were talking about the TILT... hahahaah

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The only problem I have with the Touch is the lack of Wi-fi. HTC...what were you thinking?
The other problem is the monochromatic HTC home plug-in. It needs some color to bring it to life. But, it is really hard to beat Mobile6 for an OS. There are a lot of cool 3rd party apps out there.
I honestly believe, the reason that HTC didn't include WiFi, is because there was no need to. The 3G on Sprint's network is BLAZING fast! I don't know if I'm going to be able to live with the CHEAP plastic screen. I am spoiled by the optical glass of the iPhone. The cheap plastic screen may be the Touch's return trip to the Sprint Store. Glass would have certainly made the HTC Touch a keeper, I love all the features. M

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Having never used one, I'm curious what the major detraction is to a plastic screen? Are you worried about long-term durability or does it affect current performance, i.e. warping or screen distortion?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Having never used one, I'm curious what the major detraction is to a plastic screen? Are you worried about long-term durability or does it affect current performance, i.e. warping or screen distortion?
The function of the HTC Touch is not hindered, by the plastic screen. I think it may just be me, expecting better quality out of a 500.00 device. I was doing a comparison between the HTC Touch's plastic screen, and the iPhone's high quality optical glass screen. Since phone makers are trying to match or surpass the iPhone, they need to play in the same league, with high quality materials...M

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I looked at the touch before I got the iPhone, but it just seems to win over everything else I consider.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
The advantage of the plastic touch screen is that a gloved finger and/or stylus will also work on it. This is handy in the winter, and the stylus drawing is nice if you like to draw little notes before going to Home Depot.

If you don't like the onscreen keyboard (and who does with WM?), download one of the iphone-clone or other third party keyboards.

Yeah, I can't live without WiFi myself, but have friends with 3G phones who swear they don't need it... and I believe them, having been beside them in my house while I'm on WiFi and they're on 3G.

nicegoogly

Nov 4, 2007
No comparison

I have had windows mobile phones, and replaced my Q and Mogul with the iPhone. I use a treo for businesss (cut and paste and the search feature keep it in businesss for me as I have a very busy court calendar). WM 6 is a bit sluggish and is not remotely as attractive. Since I have my functional phone, maybe I can say I don't need what the touch offers (word, excel etc...). WM does not have a search feature and takes four or five steps to copy and paste on the calendar. You can pay $500.00 for what is clearly an imitator (the touch...sounds so familiar to a recent ipod product). If you are a techie but will not be using the phone exclusively for businesss, get an iPhone. If you need a pda that does e-mail and has productivity software, get the Treo with Palm OS. It is antiquated, but useful. WM suckers people in because they say "I use windows so I know how to use this phone." No, it is different. Blackberry comes in second as it does not have the copy and paste feature and requires an expensive piece of software to create and edit word and excel documents whereas that software if free on the Treo Palm and WM (or any WM 6 device). I am sure Apple will figure out the copy and paste feature and the search feature. I am also sure they will eventually get a word processor and spreadsheet application. The only question is whether or not we will have to pay through the nose for it.

miquel

Oct 22, 2007
....nicegoogly....I also replaced my Q and Mogul with an iPhone...weird.

I think the carriers (Telus, Sprint, etc.) don't want wi-fi on their devices so they can charge their outrageous prices for data usage. Someone has to pay for that Rev. A upgrade, might as well be the users.

nicegoogly

Nov 4, 2007
Although Edge speeds are just effing insulting when there is no wi-fi, the sprint broadband networks have not been overly impressive. When you switch from a phone to a pda, you might be impressed, but using palm phones since the i300 from Samsung to the Treo 755p and the Mogul, it leaves little to be desired. Not having wi-fi is inexcusable. My wife got me the iPhone as a birthday gift (for the first time in my time with her, she was impressed with a electronics store when we walked into the Apple store in the village where she contemplated purchasing a mac) and now it has me thinking about getting a mac. This phone, in my opinion, is the best consumer pda phone you could buy. It is so damn simple and cool. At the end of the day, cool and functional is all you really need when showing off.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I have had windows mobile phones, and replaced my Q and Mogul with the iPhone. I use a treo for businesss (cut and paste and the search feature keep it in businesss for me as I have a very busy court calendar). WM 6 is a bit sluggish and is not remotely as attractive. Since I have my functional phone, maybe I can say I don't need what the touch offers (word, excel etc...). WM does not have a search feature and takes four or five steps to copy and paste on the calendar. You can pay $500.00 for what is clearly an imitator (the touch...sounds so familiar to a recent ipod product). If you are a techie but will not be using the phone exclusively for businesss, get an iPhone. If you need a pda that does e-mail and has productivity software, get the Treo with Palm OS. It is antiquated, but useful. WM suckers people in because they say "I use windows so I know how to use this phone." No, it is different. Blackberry comes in second as it does not have the copy and paste feature and requires an expensive piece of software to create and edit word and excel documents whereas that software if free on the Treo Palm and WM (or any WM 6 device). I am sure Apple will figure out the copy and paste feature and the search feature. I am also sure they will eventually get a word processor and spreadsheet application. The only question is whether or not we will have to pay through the nose for it.
I don't know what type of Win Mo. devices you have had, but they are not sluggish. You compare a Palm OS to Win Mo, you are right there is no comparison. Win Mo beats Palm's OS by a long shot. The cut and paste to anything has been nothing but easy, easy, easy. You might need to read the whole instruction manual, for ease of use. You like many other Treo users love your device. I have had eleven Treo's, through returns for non working Treo's. You could not give me a Treo for free. Also my post clearly states that I also own an iPhone and have since iDay...M

nicegoogly

Nov 4, 2007
There is a huge difference between copy and pasting in a calendar in a Palm and WM OS. I stated in my post that you quoted I used a Q and a Mogul. Labeling me as a Treo lover is inaccurate. I use the device because of its utility regarding my calendar and the search feature of the calendar. Treos are enormous and reset happy, particularly the Palm OS. Plus, the interface is butt ugly (even way before the iPhone showed us how pretty it coult be). Palm is always criticized for using the same OS since 3.5, really, but never makes it more stable with the Treos. The 755p is just as nutty as the 650 was. As a media player, they are just atrocious, both versions of the Treo. I am not sure about this on WM 6, but Documents to Go has a great synchronziation feature if you had the same document on your desktop and your palm, the two would reflect changes after a synchronization. With the way iTunes works with the iPhone, I imagine that would be the case when it finally has some document applications. Understand what I am saying, by the way. I am not dogging the OS you like in defense of another. All three OS' have their issues, and Treos with Palms OS' have most of the big ones. The argument that third party software was more robust for the Palm is somewhat of a dead issue since so many of those programs are so old, it is embarrassing to have them on your palm. Also, I would be owning a Sprint touch if my wife did not get me the iPhone for my birthday. I am a diehard Sprint customer. I am in NYC, and have great service with Sprint and wished to God that the iPhone was with Sprint. AT&T is just horrible. I must say though, I do enjoy that there is no carrier-specific-branded software on the phone like Sprint always has on their phones. Also, if I hear one more story that the Palm Centro is the new iPhone killer, I may have to kill someone. It is like comparing a Huffy ten speed to a Porsche. Unless Palm really comes up with something revolutionary, or designs something similar to the touch with a better keyboard (the third party keyboards are pretty sweet, do they cost money?) the businesss consumer, the true Treo demographic, will be lost. The 755P and the Centro need to be their last with the Garnet OS and try to merge all the feature in a WM setup. That is the only way to come close to doing some real damage.