iPhone vs iPod touch icons

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ijosheek

Aug 1, 2007
Nearly the same product... of course, the touch without the camera and phone capabilities (yet... VOIP?) But why does Apple intend on making the icons different? I think they're lost for words within their own branding for product interfaces. And definitely the Orient influence by placing the iTunes music store on the right side rather than left (although it makes sense that it's right above the iPod/Music icon on the iPhone).

The one I'm really pointing out is the Music icon on both devices. Yes, when iPhone 1.1.1 released, they updated the dopey calculator icon, but why not the Music icon? I prefer the one off of the touch.

Any ideas? I would like to swap mine w/out Jailbreak, but I guess that's out of the question. Hahaha.

Just ranting on today. :cool:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I think the answer is because even though the applications effectively do the same thing, they aren't called the same thing on both devices.

Music playback on the iPhone is called "iPod" while on the Touch its called "Music." There could be a number of reasons why its called "iPod" on the iPhone, but probably the most important of those is to ride upon the brand recognition. Everyone knows what an iPod is, and if they don't feel comfortable in getting the phone they can find solace in the fact that it's also an "iPod" and not just any iPod, but "the best we've ever made" to quote you know who.

Well what of the "Music" icon then? You're already on an iPod, theres no need to push the iPod name to lend credence to a new product line. In this case, it's just another part of the iPod family.

And with that the mystery is solved!

ijosheek

Aug 1, 2007
I think the answer is because even though the applications effectively do the same thing, they aren't called the same thing on both devices.

Music playback on the iPhone is called "iPod" while on the Touch its called "Music." There could be a number of reasons why its called "iPod" on the iPhone, but probably the most important of those is to ride upon the brand recognition. Everyone knows what an iPod is, and if they don't feel comfortable in getting the phone they can find solace in the fact that it's also an "iPod" and not just any iPod, but "the best we've ever made" to quote you know who.

Well what of the "Music" icon then? You're already on an iPod, theres no need to push the iPod name to lend credence to a new product line. In this case, it's just another part of the iPod family.

And with that the mystery is solved!
Thanks for the feedback... just like the iPod touch "music" icon better is all. Hahahaha.