iPhone VS iToilet: Now Taking Bets!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Darkfox

Aug 6, 2007
I'm sure this has happened to somebody else somewhere in the world, but I have yet to see a post regarding it so I decided to make my own.

I'll spare any unwanted details by just saying that my iPhone fell into the toilet. The water was clean at the time, so fishing it out was instinctive and instantaneous. It was even still playing the episode of House that I was watching at the time, but I was still freaking out and trying desperately to turn it off. I had managed to hold down the power button until the confirmation slider came up but due to a wet screen, wet fingers, and iPhone's demand for flesh-on-glass interaction, I couldn't slide the damn thing off.

It was STILL looking quite functional as I frantically dried off the screen and a finger with a nearby towel, though I noticed the upper-right corner of the screen was starting to lighten as if water was leaking into it. Thankfully I got it shut down with a swipe worthy of a 'Single-motion-that-saved-the-day' Emmy, and the majority of the water was vigorously shaken out of every orifice on the device.

So now my $600 electronic canteen is hanging via the headphones to dry and thankfully I've got all weekend before I need to use it. But I wonder if anyone here can give me a prognosis? As I said, everything was working fine save for some minor leakage under the glass before I managed to turn it off, but will that leakage damage the screen permanently, or should it work fine after hanging out for a couple days?

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I would certainly exercise extreme patience and not turn it back on for a few days.

Of course, it's always "on" in some way as long as it has the battery in it. This is one of the reasons why a removable battery is really nice. (I spilled coffee into my laptop one time, and thank goodness I was able to remove the battery right away! Still managed to take out one PCMCIA port though.)

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ooh thats gotta suck. I would seriously hate it if anything like that happened to mine. I don't think I would be taking mine anywhere near any potentially harmful liquids after hearing this.

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
wow...good luck bro. I've heard of many cellphone vs toilet stories, and most cellphones did not fair too well trying to swim in any liquid.

Just make sure you give it ample time to dry. I'm curious to know the results in case mine jumps ship too!:laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
When I first started posting here I remember seeing a couple of threads where people had accidentally washed their iPhones in the washing machine! One of them I believe even went in the dryer!

Amazingly enough they said that they worked fine no problems, never heard anything else about it after that so...

Good Luck! :laugh2:

Darkfox

Aug 6, 2007
Well after more than 24 hours to dry, the iPhone seems to be working perfectly. All sound and video is functional, it's charging now so I'll post in a day or two if the battery life seems to have been compromised. The only issue is that there are several very faint white lines of light in the background of the screen. It's kinda hard to describe, like when you're in a forest and sunlight is breaking through in beams from the treetops, it's like that. It's hard to notice on anything other than pure black and doesn't seem to be interfering with the touch-screen, so even if they are permanent they're not all that bad.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yes that sux. I have dropped phones in glasses of water before by accident and all was fine good luck. As far as the light, maybe you just didn't notice it before. I see the same "light through the trees" analogy. My phone has yet to be introduced to h20. ...knock on wood.

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I'm sure this has happened to somebody else somewhere in the world, but I have yet to see a post regarding it so I decided to make my own.

I'll spare any unwanted details by just saying that my iPhone fell into the toilet. The water was clean at the time, so fishing it out was instinctive and instantaneous. It was even still playing the episode of House that I was watching at the time, but I was still freaking out and trying desperately to turn it off. I had managed to hold down the power button until the confirmation slider came up but due to a wet screen, wet fingers, and iPhone's demand for flesh-on-glass interaction, I couldn't slide the damn thing off.

It was STILL looking quite functional as I frantically dried off the screen and a finger with a nearby towel, though I noticed the upper-right corner of the screen was starting to lighten as if water was leaking into it. Thankfully I got it shut down with a swipe worthy of a 'Single-motion-that-saved-the-day' Emmy, and the majority of the water was vigorously shaken out of every orifice on the device.

So now my $600 electronic canteen is hanging via the headphones to dry and thankfully I've got all weekend before I need to use it. But I wonder if anyone here can give me a prognosis? As I said, everything was working fine save for some minor leakage under the glass before I managed to turn it off, but will that leakage damage the screen permanently, or should it work fine after hanging out for a couple days?
Should this happen again, I believe the best course of action would be to first turn the phone off, then dry it off best as possible then place the phone in a canister of uncooked rice for about 24 hours. Rise will absorb about ten times it's weight in water--it makes a pretty good desiccant.

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
Yikes, sorry to hear that happened to you. While not funny it happened to you, I did laugh that someone made a post like this. I was just thinking of this very same thing happening last night. Pretty much my main reason for getting the iPhone was to use it while on the toilet. It beats the heck out of finding a newspaper or magazine.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY

don't turn it on. take the phone put it in a bowl. drop some uncooked rice in the bowl with the phone. the rice will suck the moisture out of the air in the bowl.....yeah....a bowl with a lid...duh....try it....at least 48 hours man.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
the iPhone was invented for the toilet. i bet it even made a nice plop sound when it hit the water.

you can thank steve jobs for that unique plop sound