iPhone VS N95

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I have an N95 and wouldn't recommend it for the US market because:

a) It's unsubsidised in the US
b) The 3G doesn't work in the US

So you would probably be better off with an iPhone to be honest.

However, if you're European and speculating then the N95 is a better unit than the current iPhone although this is just my opinion. Reasons are:

1. Camera - N95 has 5Mpx, flash, auto focus and video capture. iPhone has 2Mpx still capture only. Therefore N95 wins here.
2. Sound: Quality and Loudness - iPhone's sound quality for mp3 is definitley better as far as reviews go. Loudness for calling has been debated back and forth but isn't a show stopper. iPhone wins this one although the N95's sound quality is more than adequate.
3. WiFi - Both have it so a draw although iPhone's browsing experience is better. You can't direct download a lot of stuff on the iPhone though whereas you can on the N95.
4. Speed - In the US the iPhone, in Europe the N95 by a mile.
5. Battery Life - Tricky. The iPhone's battery life is superior but it's a sealed unit so you can't 'pop and swap' like the N95. That said, the battery life is one of the N95's weaker points so I'd go for the iPhone here.
6. Other features - N95 has GPS, MMS, 3G, full Bluetooth and thousands of pre-existing apps.

If 1-5 are your key criteria then get an iPhone. If you're interested in a device that does this and a lot more then get a N95 - but not if you're American.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I played around with an N95 at a Futuretronics store the other day.

After hearing how great it was compared to the iPhone I just assumed it had a QWERTY keyboard... Nope, and that would pretty much kill any chance of me buying it right there.

It was also very much brick-like. Not a big brick mind you, but brick-like nonetheless.

Screen didn't seem as nice as the iPhone's either (even taking into consideration it has half the resolution).

They didn't mention it wouldn't do 3G here in the US, but that would be a major downfall if true.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Truth. Reading what he's ACTUALLY allowing people to believe is frustrating.
I didn't waste any time reading it after seeing the opening sentence. That dude has issues!

Trust me, no one with an IQ above room temperature will believe a word written by that idiot.

--
Mike

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yup, everyone knows Maddox hates Apple.

As for the N95 being brick like, it's actually smaller and lighter than the iPhone - although it is thicker.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yup, everyone knows Maddox hates Apple.

As for the N95 being brick like, it's actually smaller and lighter than the iPhone - although it is thicker.
The cubic volume of both devices is roughly the same.

But the N95 is much thicker (21 mm vs. 11.6 mm) so even though it is slightly lighter (not much: 135g vs. 120g) it actually felt heavier.

And yes, to me thick=brick, especially when comparing both devices at the same time.

--
Mike

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Swotti is an absolutely rubbish site because it picks keywords that are used completely out of context to do its ratings. Anyone who uses it needs their head examined.

It comes down to this:

What's more important to you? A phone that is unbelievably easy to use but is pricey and missing a considerable number of key features or one that's a bit more complex but is cheaper and has the features you would expect to see on a good phone?

Different people want different things and one person's 'better' is not another's.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There have been a number of consumer review sites by legitimate companies that compared the N95, iPhone, and the HTC touch and their ease of use to the average consumer entering the market for a smart phone. Here's what they said in a nutshell:
n95 - Feature packed, but hard to navigate hard to type on. screen was decent, but nothing to write home about.
HTC Touch- good features, hard to operate (especially with the stylus) keyboard was a bit too small. screen resolution was poor.
iPhone - good basic features, easy for someone to just pick up and use, setup is intuitive, screen resolution is excellent, keyboard was a little lacking, but corrective text made up for it mostly.

That was done by a research company, with nothing to gain by putting any one phone in the light more than any other. This was also based on the average end user that would just now be looking at a smartphone. The iPhone is a pickup and go phone that covers the basics quite well.
The HTC is for slightly more Advanced users, and the n95 is for someone with a smartphone looking to upgrade.

Personally, i love Nokia phones. the iPhone is the first non-nokia I have had in the past 12 years. And I would still take the iPhone over the N95 any day.
Why? interface, design, ease of use, full web browsing, and if you hack it, it can do things that even the n95 would be jealous of.
That's not saying that there aren't some major things missing on the iPhone that should have been there but aren't. MMS, Multi-texting, camera zoom function, video recording, and the all important copy/paste (if you have never used it, you will never understand why some clamor for it. if you have used it, it can be monumentally frustrating not having it available.)

And as far as 3G goes.... It's here in the US, and in Many Metro areas it's got decent coverage, but that's it. the rest of the country is Edge. Honestly, the iPhone does quite well over edge- more so than any other smartphone I have seen/used, and the iPhone pulls full webpages down.

So bottom line: If you don't care about the touchscreen, slim factor, or battery life, and you are looking to upgrade your smartphone, then I suggest the n95. If you are just entering the market and the above excites you, get the iPhone. And also remember that the iPhone can constantly be updated and improved via software more that the N95 ever could.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I agree with you up to the last sentence. The N95 can already be upgraded with multiple S60 apps that do pretty much anything that you'd expect a mobile device to do (I have Gnutella and Bit Torrent Apps, Google Maps, multiple games, etc on mine) and there is still room for a lot more. At the moment all the iPhone has is vapour ware on this front although I'm sure the SDK will provide a number of new and useful apps.

The iPhone's USP is its interface which is fantastic and beats anything else on the market but it's bolted onto a fairly basic unit. Now if someone were to marry the iPhone's interface to the N95's feature set and expandability...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt anything major from Apple will ever come out and address the initial "issues" that many users have with the phone. It's possible, but they've basically clamped down on everything like a hungry dog with a bone, and are going to be very hard to get them to open up a lot more on just the OS.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
" So typing something as simple as elipses (...) requires you to tap your finger 9 times. "

that is my favorite quote out of the whole thing. It is just a boldfaced lie.

I emailed the dude about this right after this article came out and I can't remember exactly how he responded but he was SOOOOOOO trying to pick an email-based-internet-argument.

He responded in like 45 minutes.