iPhone vs Treo 650 (Sprint) comparison?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Anybody here switch to the iPhone from their Sprint-serviced Treo 650? I'd like your opinion on what improved and what got worse.

How are you dealing with making calls? I've always liked being able to type in the first few letters of a contact's name and having matching ones pop up. I'm sure there'll be an update or add-on that'll do that soon enough, right?

How have you adjusted to the keyboard? Or lack thereof?

I've enjoyed Toccer on the 650 and being able to IM with my friends and associates. How is the web-based IM on the iP?

I've noticed on the two that I've played with the web access speeds have been pretty good. (And no, they weren't on WiFi). I find pages take FOREVER to load up on the 650. And then I have to scroll everywhere with the stylus. In general, how has your web browsing experience changed?

Okay, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thank you in advance!

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Anybody here switch to the iPhone from their Sprint-serviced Treo 650? I'd like your opinion on what improved and what got worse.

How are you dealing with making calls? I've always liked being able to type in the first few letters of a contact's name and having matching ones pop up. I'm sure there'll be an update or add-on that'll do that soon enough, right?

I've enjoyed Toccer on the 650 and being able to IM with my friends and associates. How is the web-based IM on the iP?

I've noticed on the two that I've played with the web access speeds have been pretty good. (And no, they weren't on WiFi). I find pages take FOREVER to load up on the 650. And then I have to scroll everywhere with the stylus. In general, how has your web browsing experience changed?

Okay, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thank you in advance!
I never had a sprint treo, but I had several verizon and cingular, the latest being the 700p and 680) IMO treos are awful. I had issues with poor battery life, especially when running IM programs and chatter mail. Also they locked up / crashed at least once a day. Also the sound quality of the ear piece was awful. Finally they did not work well at all with the bluetooth in my Infiniti. They would lose the connection most of the time.

That being said there are a few things I don't like about the iPhone. I even made a list:

1) A visual notification of new emails or text messages.
2) A interval reminder of new email, text messages or voicemails. Right now you only get a notification when a new message arrives.
3) The ability to add custom ring tones.
4) Being able to hide unused icons on the main screen I have no use for stocks so I would like to be able to hide that icon.
5) Cut and Paste.
6) Voice commands.
7) Spoken name of incoming callers. My old E61 could speak the name of the incoming caller. This would be a great feature when the iPhone is in your pocket and you have the headphones one.
8) Being able to select multiple items. This would be for deleting multiple emails or selecting multiple songs when adding to a playlist.
9) Having the weather widget have the the updated weather and not always showing 73 degrees.
10) 3rd party apps.

pcboy70

Jul 25, 2007
Balanced reply

I used a Treo 650 for several years. Following are my additions and suggested replys to the previous answer:

The iPhone adds a number to the email and text icon showing how many unread messages are on the phone. Mail can be set to retrieve at set times or manually. If you need "PUSH" mail you can use Yahoo Mail.

2) A interval reminder of new email, text messages or voicemails. Right now you only get a notification when a new message arrives.

If there is no new mail/sms why get e reminder?

3) The ability to add custom ring tones.

Several ways of doing this are already available and more will come soon (even from Apple themselves).

4) Being able to hide unused icons on the main screen I have no use for stocks so I would like to be able to hide that icon.

For me, this isn't a real problem. Just ignor what you don't need. It's not like the main screen is packed or messy.

5) Cut and Paste.

Agreed. This is needed and I'm sure will come when OS 10.5 is shipped.

6) Voice commands.

Would be nice to have.

7) Spoken name of incoming callers. My old E61 could speak the name of the incoming caller. This would be a great feature when the iPhone is in your pocket and you have the headphones one.

Also would be a nice addition.

8) Being able to select multiple items. This would be for deleting multiple emails or selecting multiple songs when adding to a playlist.

Another thing that will most likely come with OS 10.5 (or sooner).

9) Having the weather widget have the the updated weather and not always showing 73 degrees.

Funny, my Weather program works great. I have New York, Austin and Chicago and they all work fine.

10) 3rd party apps.

This is the big one! 3rd party apps where and remain the big problem on the Treo. They are almost always the root cause of the many system failurs on the Treo. Apple is trying mightly to avoid having the iPhone become unstable. So far-so good.

Hope this helps you. For me, switching from the Treo to the iPhone was easy. It just takes a little getting used to and you have to be willing to learn to do some things a little differently.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I used a Treo 650 for several years. Following are my additions and suggested replys to the previous answer:

The iPhone adds a number to the email and text icon showing how many unread messages are on the phone. Mail can be set to retrieve at set times or manually. If you need "PUSH" mail you can use Yahoo Mail.

If there is no new mail/sms why get e reminder?

Funny, my Weather program works great. I have New York, Austin and Chicago and they all work fine.

Hope this helps you. For me, switching from the Treo to the iPhone was easy. It just takes a little getting used to and you have to be willing to learn to do some things a little differently.
What i meant by #1 and #2 is that you only get one notification beep or vibrate. If you miss that you have no idea you have a message waiting. Most other phones have some sort of flashing LED or will beep every 5/10/15 minutes to let you know you have a message. This comes in handy if you leave your phone sitting on the desk and don't check it constantly.

#9 is on the main screen the weather widget always shows sunny and 73 degrees. Even though none of cites I show up have that weather condition. If it would update to show the weather of your primary city without having to open it, much like the calendar icon shows the correct date, that would be nice.

But I would never go back to a treo as they are junk in my opinion. A blackberry comes in a very close second as I loved my pearl.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

I used a Sprint Treo 650 for two years, and I still have it (haven't ported my number yet). I was apprehensive about the iPhone initially because of AT&T (coverage around here was supposedly not great), lack of physical keyboard, low volume concerns, and the lack of add-on apps that I used extensively on the Treo.

In a nutshell, I don't think I could go back to my Treo.

For starters my calls are much clearer on my iPhone and coverage hasn't been an issue in my city (most of which, including my house, is only in a "moderate" coverage area; the lowest). While volume is lower than my Treo with VolumeCare installed and active, the quality is better. If I disable VC on the Treo the iPhone is without a doubt louder (not the speakerphone, that's still a little lower).

Web browsing? Not even close. And I've run several browsers on my Treo (Xinio, Opera Mini, etc.). The iPhone is the first Web-enabled portable device that I actually enjoy using. And I've hit a first: I actually have caught myself trying to replicate a feature on the iPhone on my desktop PC (tapping the top of a Web page to go right to top-of-page).

As far as making calls, it has not been an issue for me. Yes I do like the Treo's search feature, but I haven't run into any issues with the iPhone yet. I found most of my calls are either to favorites or recently called. Still, a search feature would definitely be an improvement on the iPhone. I have around 1,000 contacts BTW.

Keyboard? I am eating my words. I posted a few messages--not here--that essentially said there was no way the iPhone's onscreen keyboard would ever measure up to the Treo's for my usage. Wrong! OMG, I am actually faster now using the iPhone. The auto correct feature works better than what I expected too (if you just keep going and let it do its thing it is quite accurate). Indeed when I go to use my Treo now I find the keyboard very cramped--and good Lord that tiny numeric pad has my wondering how I used it! Yes there is a pop-up numeric pad on the Treo but for some reason I never used it.

I also had/have the utility KeyCaps650 on my Treo and thought with that surely the iPhone would come up short. This utility does make the Treo easier (hold down a key for upper case and double press for alternate character). But I've found shortcuts for my iPhone too: to enter, say a number, I don't actually need to change to the numeric pad, I merely tap on the numeric keypad indicator and without lifting my finger off the screen move my finger to the number I want to enter. When I release my finger the number is entered and the keyboard is still in text mode. You probably won't understand this without an iPhone but trust me you will want to know this trick.

Oh, I also found out--and I never realized this when playing with an iPhone at an Apple store--that key presses are not really entered till you lift your finger off the screen. And while your finger is on the screen a popup balloon is shown to indicate which key you are about to type. So if you are on the wrong key you simply move it--without lifting off the screen--to the correct key and if the balloon shows you are on the right spot you let go. On my Treo when I miskeyed a character I had to backspace. Do note that this "wait till finger is lifted" approach does not slow things down: when typing fast you can just tap and release and the character is entered immediately. Very well thought out, actually.

About the screen... Stunning. Understand that the iPhone's display (320x480) is actually a little wider, even in portrait mode, than the Treo's (320x320). If you only look at the top 320 pixels of the iPhone that 320x320 grid is physically larger than the Treo's 320x320 grid. So that means that, technically, with a smaller dot pitch the Treo should look sharper. But that is not the case: my iPhone looks sharper than my Treo--and of course isn't limited to 320x320 either. Apple has apparently wrung every last sub-pixel out of this display. It almost looks like 480x640!

In addition the brightness and contrast is much better. I live in Arizona and the sun is bright, to say the least. Outside, or even in the car, I'd say my iPhone is about 4x more visible than my Treo. I'm often amazed at it. And the auto backlight adjustment feature is outstanding. I don't get blinded if I use it in a dark room, nor is it too dim outside. It just works. I only keep it at 50% brightness, BTW.

Video? Wow. Between the amazing screen quality, bigger and higher res, and landscape orientation I find this more useful than I expected. But the integration with iTunes hits it out of the park. Yes I have videos on my Treo: the same ones I put on there in 2005. Manually keeping up with it was too much of a bother. But with iTunes? I just click subscribe to, say a video podcast, and my iPhone is kept up-to-date. Ditto for music of course (and ditto on my Treo's 2005 collection of tunes too ;)).

I don't IM much, just use SMS. I did check out the Web sites that allow it on the iPhone but don't use it enough to say how well it compares.

Anyway, I could go on and on but the bottom line is to me the drawbacks of the iPhone are far outweighed by its positives. And new stuff will undoubtedly appear--just like they did for the Treo. That said you should be aware that the iPhone won't sync ToDo's or Notes. I didn't use ToDo's much but I did/do use notes. I just created a bunch of contacts with nothing in them but notes (it can sync Contact notes just fine--even VERY large notes). I used #Note: [Description of Note] as company name so they sort together, out of the way of "normal" contacts. I'd imagine the Notes Applet on the iPhone will eventually sync so if and when that happens I'd start using that instead.

As always, IMHO and YMMV!

--
Mike

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
That was awesome, Mike! Thank you! I think you've convinced to go for it. My wife is now saying she'll pass the hat around with the kids and see if she can get enough donations to afford the phone. Umm, they' 11 to 16 with no jobs or allowance. Hellooooo!?!?! :mad:

;) Serves me right for being the jokester....:p

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
That was awesome, Mike! Thank you! I think you've convinced to go for it. My wife is now saying she'll pass the hat around with the kids and see if she can get enough donations to afford the phone. Umm, they' 11 to 16 with no jobs or allowance. Hellooooo!?!?! :mad:
Well get that 16-year-old out to work to pay for the iPho... err, "room and board." :)

Seriously, I don't think you will be disappointed. Don't forget you should be able to eBay your Treo. I'll probably pass mine to my wife, as I have a killer Sprint plan with two other lines I'll likely keep on it. And my Treo is kinda "used" so don't think it would fetch much on eBay.

Speaking of the condition of my Treo, I should note that it appears the iPhone is a bit more fragile. I dropped it (OK it flew off of my belt when I was riding my motorcycle out of a parking lot) and it has ding in the corner. Nothing major, and the screen is fine, but I think I'm going to get one of those rubber protectors for it. Even with that it should still be noticeably smaller than my Treo.

And I just thought of two other comparisons...

Stylus: Thought the lack of stylus input would be big minus on the iPhone, but that too hasn't turned out to be the case. The first week I was still reaching for that darn stylus when using my iPhone. I can safely say it's nice to be stylus free--glad I don't need one anymore (nor need to keep track of it).

Multitasking: Don't know how I missed this in my first message! Without a doubt this was a pain, for me, at times on my Treo. For example, when checking email I had to sit and wait for it to finish DL'ing before I could do anything else (I used to have that smoldering pile of trash VersaMail autocheck, but after it once hard-reset my Treo I turned that off). Same thing when browsing the Web, particularly non-mobile Websites, for those few times I had the patience to endure such a thing.

With the iPhone, if a page isn't rendering fast enough for me (say, cnn.com via EDGE) I can switch to something else till it's finished. Same thing with email.

Also, the multitasking functionality--to me--is far better than on the Winmob devices I also have owned: no need for a funky task manager: if you want to completely exit an app you just hold down the menu button till the main menu appears. Bingo, you just killed the app (and anything it was doing, naturally).

Somewhat related to multitasking is tabbed browsing. If I am on a complex Webpage I use open-in-new-tab to load a link in a new tab. When I'm done reading it I close the tab. Again, for pages that are complex, such as cnn.com--that also force a refresh when going back--this is a big time-saver for me. Note that this isn't built into Safari yet, but a bookmarklet will add that capability.

--
Mike

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
If you want a phone that will crash many times a day and require hundreds of hard resets then the Treo is the phone for you.
I would love to burn that phone!
That's not a REAL fair assessment of the Treo. I'm sure you had major problems ... and I'll bet all your friends had problems too. But with like many devices (including the iPhone) ... there are users who would love to flush it down the toilet ... while others - you couldn't tear it out of their hands.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
That's not a REAL fair assessment of the Treo. I'm sure you had major problems ... and I'll bet all your friends had problems too. But with like many devices (including the iPhone) ... there are users who would love to flush it down the toilet ... while others - you couldn't tear it out of their hands.
I disagree...that is a very REAL assessment.
Not including myself, I know of 14 people that have owned a TREO 650. Every last one has had a miserable time with it. Each one has been forced to keep it because the piece of Sh*t was supplied by their respective offices. I am regularly shown frozen phones and ones that just crash on their own for no good reason.
You bring up the iPhone and the possible similarity to the TREO and its many problems. You lack one fundamental argument - how long has the TREO been out vs. how long the iPhone has been out. The TREO has been available on various networks for many years and they still regularly put out a crappy, unreliable phone.
I suspect that once the first update is available for the iPhone most of the issues will be resolved.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I disagree...that is a very REAL assessment.
Not including myself, I know of 14 people that have owned a TREO 650. Every last one has had a miserable time with it. Each one has been forced to keep it because the piece of Sh*t was supplied by their respective offices. I am regularly shown frozen phones and ones that just crash on their own for no good reason.
You bring up the iPhone and the possible similarity to the TREO and its many problems. You lack one fundamental argument - how long has the TREO been out vs. how long the iPhone has been out. The TREO has been available on various networks for many years and they still regularly put out a crappy, unreliable phone.
I suspect that once the first update is available for the iPhone most of the issues will be resolved.
I was going to disagree with you until you got to the part about the Treo being out forever. They (Handspring, Palm, PalmOne, Palm, Access) or who ever owns the POS now has done so little with it that is hasn't really changed in 4 years since the Treo 600. Now maybe with the release of the iPhone they will get off their butts and do something, although after seeing the Foleo I really wouldn't be betting on Palm doing anything useful.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I was going to disagree with you until you got to the part about the Treo being out forever. They (Handspring, Palm, PalmOne, Palm, Access) or who ever owns the POS now has done so little with it that is hasn't really changed in 4 years since the Treo 600. Now maybe with the release of the iPhone they will get off their butts and do something, although after seeing the Foleo I really wouldn't be betting on Palm doing anything useful.
I finally gave up hope on Palm. The beginning of the end was the splitting into separate hardware and software companies.

Since then there has been very little progress. Palm OS6 never made it out of the lab and OS5 has been hacked so much it's often referred to as FrankenGarnet. Then came Winmob Treos and that seemed to freeze improvements to POS versions altogether (e.g., 700p vs. 750p).

And now Access owns POS and they and Palm Inc. don't seem to have a clue how to update it. Both seem to be looking at Linux solutions but I don't have much faith in either company doing it right.

I agree about the Foleo. What the heck were they thinking?

Still, my Treo 650 has served me well. I got a lot of use out of it. Indeed if the iPhone didn't work out I might be looking at getting a 750p, which is really just a 650 with EV-DO and more RAM (or perhaps not: now that I know I can get by with AT&T I'd likely be looking at other smart/PDA phones too).

--
Mike
(Typed on my iPhone.)

I had a Treo 650 and used it for two years. I had a contract with Sprint.

I was excited about getting a Treo because it had a nice colorful screen and it was bigger than what regular cell phones had at the time and i likes the idea of the keyboard and other features. Some of those features I was disappointed in shortly after I started using the phone..

One of the things as I said above the keyboard. It had a fullsize alpha numeric but the keys were actually two small. Many times I would try and dial a number from it (yes I know there was also a keypad on the screen) and touch the wrong key, same with typing out a text or email. I liked the smilies the phone had for text messages especially.

I also liked how the phone kept a record of every text sent and received from the very beginning and never asked me to delete them because it's memory was getting full.

The phone had the ability to play MP3s and videos. Videos would be converted upon hot sinc and could be played from SD cards. I was disappointed with the Real Player that it used for playing MP3s. It was fine till the phone went into lock mode. In lock mode, you could only adjust the volume. Stopping or pausing a song had to be done by unocking the phone, going back to Real Player and then using the stylus to hit pause or stop. Playlists could be created on the phone easily though. Because of this, I only played MP3s, once, when I first got the phone, too incovenien.

I liked the calendar also. Sincing with Outllook was good and the phone had the ability to give audible alerts to appointments or reminders. Of course the iPhone doesn't do calendar reminders.

The built in email app was a disaster. When I first got the phone, I set up my email address and regretted it right away. My email box started filling up with many many oh so many duplicates and triplicates and hundreds of the same email over and over and there was no way to stop it. The only way to stop this problem was to format and restore and NOT setup the email again. This problem was later fixed in an update but buy then I wasn't interested in using the email app.

The treo also had Solitaire which I occasionally used. Other games were available but I never bothered getting any.

That's about all I really ever used on the Treo.

When I got the iPhone, I really didn't care that it didn't have all the features that the Treo had, as you have read, I didn't even tough the other things the Treo could do.

It took me a week to make up my mind on getting an iPhone, my contract with Sprint ended a few weeks earlier and all I knew was I wanted a new phone, and I was thinking about getting one of the newer Treos with the faster internet. The Treo was extremely slow at interner, iPhones Edge is 50% from my own usages. Sometimes, I could never get pages to load up on the Treo and would just give up. Yes, Edge is actually pretty nice on the iPhone!

So after a week, I decided on the iPhone, got it, loaded up all my contacts and started having a blast using the phone! I was finally happy that I could use the iPod function and pause and skip songs just by the button on the headset without touching the phone! Treo get a clue!

The calendar sinced hot nicely with Outlook and when I got my first Mac, a MBP, it MERGED nicely with everything I had on there, and nothing was erased! Contacts were imported nicely into my address book from my phone and my imported things nicely into iCal!

Bluetooth. This was something I used allot, but only with my GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi 680. When I would pair the two, it worked 70% as it should have. I could use the handsfree and use the screen on the GPS to make calls and hear them nice and loud on the GPS speaker. The phone book was another story and I could rarely get the GPS to grab by phone book.
The iPhone paired up very nicely with the GPS and TRANSFERED my address book very easily. The handsfree works perfectly and the calls are nice and loud.

I don't miss much of anything other than a few minor things mentioned above. My Treo had crashed just a few times over the two years and I would get it to work by doing the old reset with the stylus.

That's it! iPhone all the way baby! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Nice post.

I liked the calendar also. Sincing with Outllook was good and the phone had the ability to give audible alerts to appointments or reminders. Of course the iPhone doesn't do calendar reminders.
Yes it does, and I use them every day. If you enter/edit a calendar item on the iPhone you can choose to be reminded anytime between 5 minutes and 2 days before the event. If you enter the item in Outlook on a PC you can choose just about any time before the event to be reminded (e.g., 2 weeks before), and that will be carried over to the iPhone when it syncs.

So after a week, I decided on the iPhone, got it, loaded up all my contacts and started having a blast using the phone! I was finally happy that I could use the iPod function and pause and skip songs just by the button on the headset without touching the phone! Treo get a clue!
Just to be fair, I did have that capability--and more--on my Treo: I used the stereo headset (w/mic and answer button) with my Treo. That combined with the app HeadsetControl allowed me to use the button on the headset to do more than what I can do with my iPhone. There are like 6 different functions you can assign to the button, by using various combos (short press, two short presses, short & long press, etc.). So I could pause, move forward, move back, etc. Pretty neat.

I also customized my ROM. Among other things Real Player (garbage) was ripped out in favor of Pocket Tunes deluxe.

'Course after doing all of that I didn't actually use my Treo for music. ;)

I think I enjoyed the setting up and customizing part more than anything else. I also didn't wanna use the headphone jack too much, as it was fragile. Ditto for the headset (2.5mm, and I broke one). Volume wasn't all that impressive either, especially on a plane.

But you did remind me about something I forget to mention regarding Treo 650 Vs. iPhone: games. For now the nod goes to the Treo. Specifically, games with movement sound (like Bejeweled). The browser-based stuff just doesn't compare (but I have adapted to what's available--not that I am a game freak or anything).

--
Mike

Timan, thanks for that reply! I think I might have actually discovered the calendar reminder thing when I first got the phone but forgot all about it.

As for the headphones thing on the Treo, I never bothered checking other headphones, I just figured thats the way it was going to be with the Treo and so I never looked into it further.