iPhone vs. Web

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
This is the thing. I am currently a heavy PDA user and while at work I use my PDA to surf the web a lot.... I have trouble accessing a lot of sites and forums due to most PDAs having a slimed down browser. yes Apple says it will have a full web browser, but will it access the net like at home? By that I mean will it log into a forum and remember the ID and Passwords from page to page? For ex. On this site I can log in on my PDA but it will not allow me to jump from page to page. it says that I am not logged in. So with that I thought I would start this thread. I would like this to be the place where people in the future can ask questions about the web. and how it relates to the iPhone. But if anyone knows why most PDAs do this let me know? I am sure the iPhone will not do this.

G-sus

Mar 19, 2007
This is the thing. I am currently a heavy PDA user and while at work I use my PDA to surf the web a lot.... I have trouble accessing a lot of sites and forums due to most PDAs having a slimed down browser. yes Apple says it will have a full web browser, but will it access the net like at home? By that I mean will it log into a forum and remember the ID and Passwords from page to page? For ex. On this site I can log in on my PDA but it will not allow me to jump from page to page. it says that I am not logged in. So with that I thought I would start this thread. I would like this to be the place where people in the future can ask questions about the web. and how it relates to the iPhone. But if anyone knows why most PDAs do this let me know? I am sure the iPhone will not do this.

It would be stupid of Apple to do this because their software is usually amazing.

khunlyon

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
i use a treo680 and have never had this problem. while most sites i visit show a mobile version when avaliable, i am never logged out or not able to jump from page to page. the safari on the iPhone, however, is essentailly the same as it would be on their desktop or laptop computers. it shows full web sites and never uses a mobile verstion (except for google maps because they have a contract with google and made a version especially for the iPhone)

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
heres to going online during class

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Or while having se..... Okay. I didn't even say that. :D

techman717

Apr 3, 2007
iPhone will run the ful version of Safari. So I would say yes you will be able to access secure site and multiple pages while only having to log in once.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
Ok that is cool But @khunlyon, Have you seen the new version of google map for PDAs like WM5s? I mean it looks real close to the program for the iPhone and runs just the same. Wait it is the same! I have an HTC Wizard and it runs great on it. So ya they started off writing google maps for the iPhone but Apple did not force them into keeping it only on the iPhone. I bet that pissed off Steve Jobs.... But I am still getting the iPhone because the rest of my phone runs like SH.....! It is always crashing for no reason. Unlike my Apple desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Ok that is cool But @khunlyon, Have you seen the new version of google map for PDAs like WM5s? I mean it looks real close to the program for the iPhone and runs just the same. Wait it is the same! I have an HTC Wizard and it runs great on it. So ya they started off writing google maps for the iPhone but Apple did not force them into keeping it only on the iPhone. I bet that pissed off Steve Jobs.... But I am still getting the iPhone because the rest of my phone runs like SH.....! It is always crashing for no reason. Unlike my Apple desktop.
I have a wizard as well (Q-tek 9100). My phone was extremely unstable too until I removed almost all of the 3rd party software I bought for it. That is why I am not disappointed that Apple will approve all software for the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

khunlyon

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
oh i didn't realize it was the same version as with other PDA phones - i have the palm 680 so i guess i already have it as well - it works well (except for the fact that it sometimes decides that my house doesn't exist and sometimes does)
likewise - my 680 is awesome but has its problems - unlike my powerbook which has worked perfectly for 3 yrs running!

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
So yes it is the same google software but I would not be surprised to see that it will run betterr on the iPhone. I mean it was originaly designed to work on the iPhone which means that it probably was just modified to work on the WM5 OS, and Palm. Alot of times when they do that they run into a lot of bugs. Like your house thing. It is just a bug of the server to software interface.

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
My current phone has web capabilities but I never use it because it is so slow, hard to narvigate, etc. I think with the iPhone and the touchscreen, it will make it SO much easier! Plus this browser looks amazing!

dafooey

May 8, 2007
My current phone has web capabilities but I never use it because it is so slow, hard to narvigate, etc. I think with the iPhone and the touchscreen, it will make it SO much easier! Plus this browser looks amazing!
Safari does look good... but will Firefox be available?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Safari does look good... but will Firefox be available?
My first thought was, "why would anyone need that?" But I think it is a good question in that I'm hoping Apple eventually (soon) makes the iPhone more open. I think you'd find it to be the new hot platform for developers and open source, just like projects like Firefox. That would be cool. :cool:

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
logging into wireless networks

I am only worried that the iPhone won't be able to log into my uni's wireless network since you have to enter your name and password and keep that window open, otherwise you get kicked out.

Would I get disonnected if I leave safari? or put it to sleep? I wouldn't like having to log in every time I pull it out of my pocket.:(

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I am only worried that the iPhone won't be able to log into my uni's wireless network since you have to enter your name and password and keep that window open, otherwise you get kicked out.

Would I get disonnected if I leave safari? or put it to sleep? I wouldn't like having to log in every time I pull it out of my pocket.:(
Maybe a bookmark with a stored password? Hmm, I guess there will be Keychain? :)