iPhone Wardriving

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I have a new pastime that I must confess. I drive around neighborhoods with my iPhone in wifi setting and watch the list of broadcasting wifi connections constantly refresh as I drive by. I do this with no nefarious intent; just to marvel at the strength of the iPhone's wifi capability and also amuse myself with the ingenius (or lack of) names people give their connections. Names like "ComeHither", "Allmine", "Buzzoff", "Notyours", "Dareyou". Usually these are encrypted or deliberately left open for anyone to connect. But every so often, I come across networks with default names like "Actiontec", "Linksys", "2Wirexxx", etc. You know such networks were set up by probably not-too-tech-savvy owners. I still resist the urge to knock on doors to tell owners of such connections: "Hey, your network is open!".

Oh, if you're ever in my neighborhood wardriving, look out for my wifi connection "Kakofonix" and help yourself. I'll leave the lights on for you! ;-)

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
None of the networks around here are protected. Except mine of course. While out and about I just choose ... eenie, meenie, miney, mo ... whichever one has the most signal at the time.

Mine is 'Kobayashi maru'

trinic101

Sep 15, 2007
mine is a wep protected "linksys", not stupid yet not creative

i live in a college housing cmplex, supposedly the largest in florida, and a many unprotected/protected wireless networks everywhere

=)