iPhone Wardriving

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I have a new pastime that I must confess. I drive around neighborhoods with my iPhone in wifi setting and watch the list of broadcasting wifi connections constantly refresh as I drive by. I do this with no nefarious intent; just to marvel at the strength of the iPhone's wifi capability and also amuse myself with the ingenius (or lack of) names people give their connections. Names like "ComeHither", "Allmine", "Buzzoff", "Notyours", "Dareyou". Usually these are encrypted or deliberately left open for anyone to connect. But every so often, I come across networks with default names like "Actiontec", "Linksys", "2Wirexxx", etc. You know such networks were set up by probably not-too-tech-savvy owners. I still resist the urge to knock on doors to tell owners of such connections: "Hey, your network is open!".

Oh, if you're ever in my neighborhood wardriving, look out for my wifi connection "Kakofonix" and help yourself. I'll leave the lights on for you! ;-)

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
None of the networks around here are protected. Except mine of course. While out and about I just choose ... eenie, meenie, miney, mo ... whichever one has the most signal at the time.

Mine is 'Kobayashi maru'

trinic101

Sep 15, 2007
mine is a wep protected "linksys", not stupid yet not creative

i live in a college housing cmplex, supposedly the largest in florida, and a many unprotected/protected wireless networks everywhere

=)

alan_g

Sep 28, 2007
edinburgh scotland
i do this every day on the bus, its quite amusing seeing what people have called their connection.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Oh, if you're ever in my neighborhood wardriving, look out for my wifi connection "Kakofonix" and help yourself. I'll leave the lights on for you! ;-)
Your real name doesn't happen to be Tom Bodine, does it? :p

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Your real name doesn't happen to be Tom Bodine, does it? :p
No, I'm not Tom Bodine. If he named his wifi network "Kakofonix", he'll have to pay me royalty! Just kidding.:laugh2:

g33k1

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
San Antonio Tx
yeah I have been waiting for some one to port kismet over for the iPhone, right now I have the little net stumbler app:oops:

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
yeah I have been waiting for some one to port kismet over for the iPhone, right now I have the little net stumbler app:oops:
for wifi driving use aircrack-ng is more likely..nice program simply to use :)

Agent99

Oct 20, 2007
for wifi driving use aircrack-ng is more likely..nice program simply to use :)
What? Where are these apps! I would love to have a little net stumbler c
for my iPhone.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
What? Where are these apps! I would love to have a little net stumbler c
for my iPhone.
if you phone is jailbroken and you have installer installed and the community sources it is under network i believe

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
This sounds like fun, I'll have to give that a try...;)