iPhone went for Spin Cycle

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
One of our iPhones (Black 8GB) decided it wanted to be washed. It went through the complete wash cycle and then was dried (no need for rice, LOL).

I took it apart and have cleaned it out pretty good. Talk about of a lot of corrision on the connectors. I'll put it back together in a couple of hours and see what happens.

BTW, Water Markers are one the the headphone and two on the circuit board.

At least I have the cleanest iPhone 3G and it bug free (found no bugs inside, LOL)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Really sorry to hear this but sounds like you are taking it in stride. Don't know if I would be so calm.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Would you mind sending me a couple of photos and keeping us updated on the results?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Really sorry to hear this but sounds like you are taking it in stride. Don't know if I would be so calm.
It's just a phone and I find it funny it happened. I'll get it replaced, but until then I am having fun seeing if I can get it to work again. It's not just a wet phone, but one that was fully washed and dried. I get it back together after lunch and see what damage a washing maching and dryer does.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Would you mind sending me a couple of photos and keeping us updated on the results?
I was going to take picture of the corrision so people can see what king of damage water does, but didn't. I'll take some picture of it before I put it back together. You may still see some of it. The battery terminal definitely don't like water.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It's just a phone and I find it funny it happened. I'll get it replaced, but until then I am having fun seeing if I can get it to work again.
What a great attitude. When things happen that you can't control, no use going on a rant or getting depressed. Just have to make the best of a bad situation and sounds like you are doing that and having fun.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Here is a start, looks like it's going to be a long night.
This is the circuit board with the covers (Shields) removed.

If someone wants some info on something or a picture of something let me know while I still have it open (maybe late tonight I'll have it back together)

IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg

charging battery on camera to get better pictures, this was with an iPhone 3G (great camera, LOL)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
mlass-do you like how gadgets work? You seem excited to get into this phone!

Good luck on trying to fix it.

Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
Ahh Geez,
Thats almost too painful to view. I'll be waiting to see how things come out in the wash! Sorry bad pun ;). You do have a great attitude though and I wish you the best of luck.
Thinking of you,
Colleen

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You should swap the cheap ass Infineon chip over for a real one while it is open. You won't have any 3G problems then ;)

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
mlass-do you like how gadgets work? You seem excited to get into this phone!

Good luck on trying to fix it.
I do enjoy taking things apart, that is why I became a Technician. Sorry for the delay, I was helping another Tech with an electrical short and now at the Bar. I got all the circuits, chips, and connectors cleaned. I'll get it back together when I make it home.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Ok 6:30, it's been a long night putting an iPhone back together drunk, but I did it.

Battery was dead and did take a little time to charge to boot up. It did have a battery symbol when it was plug into the USB.

Believe it or not, but it's working. The only thing at this time that not working is the back light. I can see stuff barely, but no back light to light it up. It has flashed twice while playing so it may be back one day, LOL.

All speakers and mic work, but it doesn't ring when I call it (go to sounds and it plays ringer when selected) I'm not sure if a restore may fix that. It does vibrate.

Touch Screen, WOW it's still working 100%. After my V1 and what I did to cause i not to work I can't believe the 3G stills works.

3G and WIFI function, iTunes sees it, iPod and Safari work and I'm to tired to think of anything else.

I have to say Apple did good with this design. One needed is something to protect circuits and connectors since they didn't like water at all.

I'm done for now, work is calling me in a few hours. I'll keeo it updated and add pictures later.

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
sweet, i know where my phones going when it goes through the washer! think we might have a bit of an expert in our little group!

btw you prob know this but try sticking your camera settings to macro, (little flower) should get a better photo inthe future

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I realized when I got to work today that the ringer was turned off, now isn't that funny. I took the glass out several times and then thought I had broke the home button, but it doesn't work unless the glass is fully seated.

I'll see tonight if I can crack open the LCD and see how the backlight works.

It will be a shame to have to return this phone for a new one after all the work I went through, but it will have to go back one day, LOL.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/iPhone_3G/

Some Pics

Still working on the LCD. Found that it has 7 LED's. Can play with the Sleep/Wake button and it will flash sometimes. Believe something inside the metal square box may be shorted, but unsure how and if I'll crack it open. I believe it control the brightness (power level).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks for the detailed photos and account of your ordeal. Hopefully others can pick up some tech pointers. I'm glad you derive some pleasure from all this... I would as well. I love the point where something is beyond warranty, and pretty much worthless to you. Then it's free license to dig in and see if you can revive it yourself. If you can, AWESOME... if not, no loss. Good times... enjoy them!

I'm also glad you know what you're doing. I shall keep you in mind with my hardware woes in the future...

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I knew it was going to happen and still did it.

Broke off the LED.

That's about the onlything in the phone that I can solder.

I may have found the issue with the Backlights, open in connector terminal. I will need a magnifying glass to get a better look. LED's
are wired straight to main circuit board.

Looks like one of the pin in the connector corroded and created an open.

Also, for thoses wondering why do it. How many times do you get a chance to tear into an iPhone 3G.

Last edited by a moderator:

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
sweet, i know where my phones going when it goes through the washer! think we might have a bit of an expert in our little group!

btw you prob know this but try sticking your camera settings to macro, (little flower) should get a better photo inthe future
He used an iPhone 3G... no flowers on there unless you stick one to the glass :)

Excellent that it works - LOL at ringer being off!
Shame though, there will be less pickings on Fleabay now folks know how to clean-up the corrosion and get their water damaged phones working.

PS - I cannot see the water detector down the headphone socket like the 2G model. Can you detail exactly where this is?