iPhone Why Did I Doubt You? Blackberry Storm An Electronics Failure!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

Greetings Forum Members,
I felt the need to revise my "Glowing" review of the BlackBerry Storm. The Storm for me has evolved into a total failure. The Storm which offers many great features just does not perform well. The Storm is plagued with several nagging and continuous problems.

1). Very slow to execute commands.
2). While typing emails words are constantly misspelled due to the device not keeping up with the users typing speed.
3). Short battery life.
4). Battery does not charge after using factory installed navigation software. Only after several battery pulls (way to restore) will the phone charge.
5). Phone freezes and has to be powered down or restored.
6). Large gap between screen and phone body allows all kinds of foreign matter to get inside the phone
7).Software update (only one so far) that should have corrected all issues (according to RIM & Verizon) fixed nothing.
8). Included desktop software (BlackBerry Desktop Manager) crashes constantly on Windows Vista and offers no software for Mac (other than third party)
9). Phone reboots constantly when taken out of plastic holster.
10). Phone does not automatically set to current time zone you are in (even though said setting is enabled).
11). Phone freezes constantly in landscape mode.
13). Web browsing takes forever due to slow connection speed.
14). Ringer and alerts sometimes have no sound.
15). Calls are now distorted and not clear as they were at purchase.
16). Every task performed on the phone is SLOW!
17). Verizon and RIM swear there are no problems they are aware of even after thousands of complaints.
18). Each day new problems reveal themselves.

I am totally fed up with the Storm and all of Verizon's lies. After many wasted hours on the phone and in Verizon stores with tech support. I am finished dealing with this electronics nightmare. I am ending my relationship with the Storm and Verizon at the end of my bill cycle this month. I also am paying no ETF due to arguing the point that I am not getting what I'm paying for via the problem laden device. I loved all the features of the Storm but grew tired of all the problems related to it. I don't know why RIM did not hold off on the release until all these issues were resolved. The Storm could have been a great device. The greed of releasing it to early has turned it into an absolute failure. When are people/companies going to finally learn that greed destroys everything it touches? With all the bad credible press RIM/BlackBerry/The Storm has received. I doubt anyone will be rushing out to buy Storm 2 whenever it comes out.

I am so sorry my precious iPhone for ever doubting you. Just goes to show the old saying is true. The grass on the other side isn't always greener. Mark

(Sorry For The Horrible Quality of The Photo It's From My iPhone Library)

Last edited by a moderator:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Upgrade to the leaked OS. 4.7.0.99 is out now and it's much better than any of the VZW updates. Check crackberry.com for more info...

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
Ive been a long time bb uzer and a bb without an update sux! So yeah.... Search the internet and ull find a leaked os at least every month.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I've been watching the leaked updates. Until now I was hesitant to update due to reviews that said updates fixed "this" but screwed "that" up. I may try the .99 update. I have nothing to lose now my service ends in 15 days. I hope it works because I really love all the features. I just want them to work correctly. My iPhone will still always be my go to phone for web browsing. No mobile device's web browser can hold a candle to iPhone. Mark

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
Like any pho es its got ups and downs but a bb is really good and passes the iPhone in many many MANY feautures and abillitoes. The web browsing is greatest on iPhone. U just gotta update. Its really simple

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
This is not my first BB. I have never had this many problems with a BB or any other mobile device. RIM really dropped the ball on the Storm. Mark
+1.

Mark, wouldn't you have preferred to wait for the Storm finished instead of the way it is now and the way it was rushed to the market?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
+1.

Mark, wouldn't you have preferred to wait for the Storm finished instead of the way it is now and the way it was rushed to the market?
Yes I certainly would have. I have been so angry with the Storm and Verion's response that I have wanted to throw the freaking phone out of the window while driving. I think the processor is at the root of all the Storm's problems. I feel that it is to slow to keep up with the phones features. I also believe it is the cause of the quick battery drain. The subpar processor is struggling to keep up and thereforee being over worked and draining the battery. Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
BTW:
I also feel that Verizon should do the reputable thing and hault sales on the Storm until RIM fixes it. What incentive does RIM have to go balls to the wall and fix the problems if Verizon is still ordering units from them? Kudos to T-Moblie for haulting the sales of the two BlackBerry's with problems in Europe.

I am so sick of paying top dollar to be a freaking beta tester. When I spend my money I expect what I buy to work as it should. We have gotten to comfortable thinking, "well it's new we just have to deal with it". I say the hell with that. It is the company selling the item that is supposed to test their product not the consumer. An update should only be to enhance or add to what is already present. Not to fix a string of problems that should have been fixed before launch. I can't sale my customers bad photographs and say well I'll fix them later. So why should I/we have to put up with it from electronics makers? Mark

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
To be fair, the iPhone has had its share of screw-ups as well, not the least of being the mess with the 3G radio escalating out of control and swamping cell sites.

I think RIM has acknowledged they rushed it out too soon.

Yet even with the problems, one million Storms have been sold in the same time period (two months) that ATT sold about 1.3 million iPhones.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
To be fair, the iPhone has had its share of screw-ups as well, not the least of being the mess with the 3G radio escalating out of control and swamping cell sites.

I think RIM has acknowledged they rushed it out too soon.

Yet even with the problems, one million Storms have been sold in the same time period (two months) that ATT sold about 1.3 million iPhones.
Yes but that does not mean 1 million happy customers. Also RIM probably included returned items also. And lastly at least Apple quickly rectified the problem. My talking to RIM & Verizon gives me the impression that there is no problem. At least that's what they have been telling me for the last two months. Mark

P.S. When the Wall Street Journal takes the time to write an article concerning customer complaints related to the Storm. It's not just because a few people are complaining.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Yes but that does not mean 1 million happy customers. Also RIM probably included returned items also.
And Apple always includes around 30% extra which are simply in the inventory pipeline, but not actually sold to anyone yet.

And lastly at least Apple quickly rectified the problem. My talking to RIM & Verizon gives me the impression that there is no problem.
Apple never admitted to any problem, either. They rarely admit to problems, and even then, it's only after they're fixed.

Have you ever seen Apple come out and admit that their touchscreens can go bad in sections? Or that Safari crashes a lot?

Both need to learn to be more open.

paul_h

Nov 22, 2008
Have you ever seen Apple come out and admit that their touchscreens can go bad in sections? Or that Safari crashes a lot?

Both need to learn to be more open.
Being that the most recent update addresses safari crashes, I would say they are not hiding anything.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with your Storm, Mark. I had one for a time to review for work and found it to be far less stable than the previous Blackberrys I've had for personal use and for work. Plus, the software was not completely adapted to the touchscreen interface and I found the touchscreen feedback was a poor substitute for a real keyboard. Overall, an interesting device but great disappointment as a Blackberry.

My iPhone hasn't been perfect by far, but it's still been the best device to meet my needs.

P.S. When the Wall Street Journal take the time to write an article concerning customer complaints related to the Storm. It's not just because a few people are complaining.
I am so disappointed the CEO made the comment that what happened with the Storm is "the new reality" - I would have expected more from RIM who takes pride in being the device of choice for businesss users, where device instability can cost companies money.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with your Storm, Mark. I had one for a time to review for work and found it to be far less stable than the previous Blackberrys I've had for personal use and for work. Plus, the software was not completely adapted to the touchscreen interface and I found the touchscreen feedback was a poor substitute for a real keyboard. Overall, an interesting device but great disappointment as a Blackberry.

My iPhone hasn't been perfect by far, but it's still been the best device to meet my needs.

I am so disappointed the CEO made the comment that what happened with the Storm is "the new reality" - I would have expected more from RIM who takes pride in being the device of choice for businesss users, where device instability can cost companies money.
Macgirl,
Thank you and I agree with you 100%. I really am disappointed with the response from RIM/Verizon and the device itself. I blame Verizon for allowing sales to continue of the faulty device. Mark