iPhone will cost more money for current customers in contract

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 6, 2007
I don't know if this has already been posted but I have info form a very very great source the iPhone will cost $175 more then the retail price of $499 and $599 if you are a current Cingular AT&T customer that is not able to get a upgrade so that means it will be $674.99 for the 4 gig and $774.99 for the 8 gig

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I don't know if this has already been posted but I have info form a very very great source the iPhone will cost $175 more then the retail price of $499 and $599 if you are a current Cingular AT&T customer that is not able to get a upgrade so that means it will be $674.99 for the 4 gig and $774.99 for the 8 gig

You may have a point there. Unless your contract is almost expired, wireless carriers in my experience refuse to resign you just for a new phone, but in this case, the iPhone is not subsidized which gives them no reason to do this. But consider this....say you signed a new 2 year contract in may, and want to sign a new one friday, is it legally possible to sign a separate contract that takes place after your first contract is up?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
No way! Just more speculation. Don't believe this people! They wouldn't post the prices if that weren't the truth.

Jun 6, 2007
this is not true. what is this "very very very great source" then? if it's true please tell us where this info is coming from.
First of all I said very very great source not very.very very. So don't be rude second of all this is info that I heard if you read my second post you would have seen that I even said we won't know if this is true until it is posted on the AT&T website. Because although I trust my source (who happens to be one of the mangers of internet sales for AT&T) I really don't believe it until it has been written in stone on the website. So believe what you want but don't come on this site if your going to post that what I said is not true unless you also have info that says other wise. Plus it just skes since because for cingulara early terminatin fee is $175 so that's why it has been tacked on. I found this out because I wasn't available for an upgrade and I called and asked him and he took care of t for me so I can upgrade now. I really hate AT&T they treat there customers like crap and new people that want to sign up good it should be the other way around. Sorry about my typing I'm sending this from my stupid blackberry with baby internet if I only had my iPhone the writing wouldn't look like a 3rd graders

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
First of all I said very very great source not very.very very. So don't be rude second of all this is info that I heard if you read my second post you would have seen that I even said we won't know if this is true until it is posted on the AT&T website. Because although I trust my source (who happens to be one of the mangers of internet sales for AT&T) I really don't believe it until it has been written in stone on the website. So believe what you want but don't come on this site if your going to post that what I said is not true unless you also have info that says other wise. Plus it just skes since because for cingulara early terminatin fee is $175 so that's why it has been tacked on. I found this out because I wasn't available for an upgrade and I called and asked him and he took care of t for me so I can upgrade now. I really hate AT&T they treat there customers like crap and new people that want to sign up good it should be the other way around. Sorry about my typing I'm sending this from my stupid blackberry with baby internet if I only had my iPhone the writing wouldn't look like a 3rd graders
Don't worry about. Your source's story just doesn't make sense.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Not true. The iPhone is unsubsidized. The 4GB will cost $499 and the 8GB will cost $599 for new customers, current customers in or out of contract and your dog too. Period.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Can anyone actually prove that this is unsubsidized? I have seen nothing official to support that statement, and all logic points to it in fact BEING subsidized.

Jun 12, 2007
Atlanta
New iPhone

I was told by a Cingular store employee that a new phone number and contract would be required if you are not due for an upgrade. He told me there would be no exceptions to this.:oops:

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I was told by a Cingular store employee that a new phone number and contract would be required if you are not due for an upgrade. He told me there would be no exceptions to this.:oops:
Yes, and it's been pretty consitantly shown that the store employees know nothing, and are just guessing. I tried pressing one of employees about a statement he made like that, and the he said 'we'll that's the rumors I've read online, we haven't been told anything by our managers yet'

Jun 21, 2007
Florida
This is the type of stuff that worries me about switching to AT&T. If this is how they treat their current customers, I don't know if I want to join their club.

Harleyguy

Jun 24, 2007
Been lurking and waiting for awhile now, so I figured I would throw my 2 cents into the pot here...

I spoke with a rep at the store this weekend regarding this very thing. I am currently 14 months in on my contract and am not due for an upgrade for another 4 months.

I was told by the rep that I can in fact get the phone at that price. The only stipulation that he gave was that they would have to charge me an $18 upgrade fee, but other then that the phone would not be 'up priced' for existing customers...

Granted, since I am so close to the upgrade time period he may just be doing me a favor by waiving the 18 month limit, but he believed the 499 and 599 price would be across the board for anyone wanting the phone.

Makes sense to me though.. since a data plan is pretty much required, anyone wanting one will be putting more money into AT&T's pocket via the Data Plan anyway.

Good Luck to all of you on the 29th!

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
At this point I am comfortable that your source is wrong.

There will be no subsidies on this phone. One price for everyone.