iPhone will cost more money for current customers in contract

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Can anyone actually prove that this is unsubsidized? I have seen nothing official to support that statement, and all logic points to it in fact BEING subsidized.
No it doesn't. All logic points to it not being subsidized.

Nobody has EVER mentioned a subsidized price or that it will be subsidized. The only people who have said anything of the sort of AT&T employees who apparently can not stop lying or they will die like a shark who stops swimming.

Everything released so far points to this being a single price point point for all units, with no subsidies involved.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
So if i go to a Apple store how are they going to know? There not a phone company....
While I don't believe the general premise (that they will charge you the contract termination penalty), they could enforce it. Remeber, you still have to take the phone and activate it. They would charge you as a part of that process. If you refuse, then they would just tell you to return the phone.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I understand the false alarms re: iPhone costing more but unless AT T and Apple stores confirm this its just spec like always. Last week I was tearing my dreadlocks out over the false alarms. This week feels mellow. Like hearing abouta movie coming out but not having ACTUALLY seen it all we can do is spec. Which is very fun to do BTW. Makes me think etc...discount theories etc.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007

Nobody has EVER mentioned a subsidized price or that it will be subsidized. The only people who have said anything of the sort of AT&T employees who apparently can not stop lying or they will die like a shark who stops swimming.

Everything released so far points to this being a single price point point for all units, with no subsidies involved.
Really this comes back to a curtain point though, that most people seem to overlook: AT&T can to basically whatever they want with the contract requirements, even if the phone is unsubsidized. Yes, maybe you bought the phone for $600, but that doesn't mean they have to let you use it without paying to get out of your current contract. Would it be unfair/unethical. Yes, I think so. Would it be illegal. Possibly. Contact law is vague, and it would need to be tested in court to know for sure.

I don't think they will go that route, but just because it may be unsubsidized does not mean they can penalize you under your existing contract.

loyal2apple

Jun 6, 2007
Man I started this post with info that I heard and thought I would share it maybe next time I will keep it to my self sorry seems like I got everyone all upset. Look eveyone is coming with info that they heard from a store from an employee. I got my info from a man that works for AT&T as one of the managers of internet sales he works in a big ass building and has his own office not some phone sales guy that works at an AT&T store. Again this is what I heard I don't believe anything until its on that web site. He's just a manager he's not the CEO of CFO so he doesn't make those calls. I bet if Steve jobs was reading this he would be laughing as everyone has there panties in a bunch. Fither more if you want my personal opinion AT&T would be stupid to charge more then the 499 or 599 because it would hurt sales. Remember this is info that was told to me and I didn't give my personal opinion because the guy changed my contract so I could be available for a upgrade when I shouldn't be. I wasn't going to say anything he's helping me out and all you people would do the same

radbrent

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
We understand, but think about how pissed A TON of people would be if it costs more than advertised... Apple would not do that.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
. Look eveyone is coming with info that they heard from a store from an employee. I got my info from a man that works for AT&T as one of the managers of internet sales he works in a big ass building and has his own office not some phone sales guy that works at an AT&T store.

Here is a few things we know.

AT&T Stores will sell them on the 29th.
Apple Stores will sell them on the 29th.
Apple Online will almost certainly be selling them on the 29th.
AT&T Online Not going to be selling them on the 29th.

So regardless of how big your friend's office is, he is not exactly in the loop since his department is not likely to have anything to do with selling the iPhone for at least a month.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
This is all crappy info as usual. The fact that it will be sold at the Apple Store confirms this is crap.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007

That doesn't mean there's no subsidy. by making you sign a two year contract, AT&T can treat every iPhone buyer like they're a new customer, thus creating the APPEARANCE that there is no subsidy, when in fact there must be, or this thing is selling way below market retail on smartphones. And since stevie j. has never underpriced a product in his life, we can bet that there is a subsidy here.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
Thanks I am glad there are still rational people in this forum.
No problem.

Gotta love the "I got this info from a very reliable source" then he actually goes on to name the "reliable source" title. If it was true I highly doubt he would gives the guys title. Just my opinion.

Not sure if anybody saw this excert from the bloomberg.com article from today
"Apple also will get an undisclosed piece of the monthly subscription fee charged by AT&T, the iPhone's exclusive wireless service provider. A two-year contract with AT&T is required"

That statement says a lot. A phone manufacturer never gets a cut of the monthly fee. That should tell you Apple is making all the rules and At&T is following like a puppet on a string. Since Apple is running the show on this, do you really think they would ok adding $175 to the purchase price if a customer is not eligible for an upgrade? They wouldn't, makes no businesss sense. They want everybody to get an iPhone and extend their contract.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
That doesn't mean there's no subsidy. by making you sign a two year contract, AT&T can treat every iPhone buyer like they're a new customer, thus creating the APPEARANCE that there is no subsidy, when in fact there must be, or this thing is selling way below market retail on smartphones. And since stevie j. has never underpriced a product in his life, we can bet that there is a subsidy here.
You are the only one who thinks the current prices are way below retail for smartphones.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
It's not something I "think." Retail prices for some existing smartphones:
Motorola Q $449
Treo 750 $579
Blackberry Curve $749
Treo 700 $649
HT Mogul/8525 $549

Why would Steve price his phone UNDER those if it's the most revolutionary device on the market? He charges a premium for everything he's ever sold. The storage alone would be cause to price the phone at least comparably. There's a subsidy.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
It's not something I "think." Retail prices for some existing smartphones:
Motorola Q $449
Treo 750 $579
Blackberry Curve $749
Treo 700 $649
HT Mogul/8525 $549

Why would Steve price his phone UNDER those if it's the most revolutionary device on the market? He charges a premium for everything he's ever sold. The storage alone would be cause to price the phone at least comparably. There's a subsidy.
Why is it priced lower? Very simple, Apple is getting a cut of the monthly subsription fee from AT&T.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
This is becoming really frustrating. (Not directed at the creator of this post or anyone here) but this whole guessing game. If I waltz into an Apple store, they sure as hell will not stop me from picking up a $499 iPhone, buying it and walking out. Then when I go to activate, Ill throw my Motorola RAZR out the flipping window and use this one for my account. I'll buy the data plan and whatnot, but I will NOT pay $175 dollars extra, and I can't see that being a requirement.

If you change your plan, or extend your contract I don't think they can stop you.