iPhone will cost more money for current customers in contract

Boyscout47

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
All of this theory of subsidies and discounts is all based on the old model of cell phone businesss. Obviously Apple is changing the game.

NO SUBSIDY, NO DISCOUNT, NOT THE SAME GAME.

Am I going to have to repeat that? Or do I need a "reliable source" to make people listen.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Yeh, I wouldn't buy this at all.

I have been asking Cingular/AT&T for six months about this and have always received the same answer: The price will be $499 or $599 no matter where you are in your contract. You will be required to restart your contract as if you were a new subscriber, but the price will not go up, just like it will not go down for new subscribers.

The manager of the store I asked at most recently told me, "We've been telling customers this for months and we have no intention of not following through."

Rumpelgeist

loyal2apple

Jun 6, 2007
No problem.

Gotta love the "I got this info from a very reliable source" then he actually goes on to name the "reliable source" title. If it was true I highly doubt he would gives the guys title. Just my opinion.

Not sure if anybody saw this excert from the bloomberg.com article from today
"Apple also will get an undisclosed piece of the monthly subscription fee charged by AT&T, the iPhone's exclusive wireless service provider. A two-year contract with AT&T is required"

That statement says a lot. A phone manufacturer never gets a cut of the monthly fee. That should tell you Apple is making all the rules and At&T is following like a puppet on a string. Since Apple is running the show on this, do you really think they would ok adding $175 to the purchase price if a customer is not eligible for an upgrade? They wouldn't, makes no businesss sense. They want everybody to get an iPhone and extend their contract.
first of all jack ass read the whole forum before you post. I said that this info did come from a reliable source. i also said myself that i don't believe that what i heard was true i only believe what is written on Apple or AT&T website. I don't believe what an Apple sales guy says or and cell phone guy either. All i did was give info that i heard and i was just feeling others in and i was wondering if anyone else has heard this so i could see if this info is true. As for my source i called him back and he said i have no problem with you posting the info i tell you just don't say my name and there are 5 managers that work in my department so they will never know who said it and further more he said this info would never leak out for anyone on his side to get in trouble plus he said he has an iPhone and hwa does he care. . i said you have one how come you didn't show me? he said you didn't ask. damn it and going to go look at that thing right now.

loyal2apple

Jun 6, 2007
one more thing in case you were wondering i don't really believe him because Apple would be stupid to make this thing cost more that 599 and that all the money i got. like i said i will believe it when i see it on the website

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
first of all jack ass read the whole forum before you post. I said that this info did come from a reliable source. i also said myself that i don't believe that what i heard was true i only believe what is written on Apple or AT&T website. I don't believe what an Apple sales guy says or and cell phone guy either. All i did was give info that i heard and i was just feeling others in and i was wondering if anyone else has heard this so i could see if this info is true. As for my source i called him back and he said i have no problem with you posting the info i tell you just don't say my name and there are 5 managers that work in my department so they will never know who said it and further more he said this info would never leak out for anyone on his side to get in trouble plus he said he has an iPhone and hwa does he care. . i said you have one how come you didn't show me? he said you didn't ask. damn it and going to go look at that thing right now.
Take a deep breath, it is a phone we are taking about. Just because people are questioning your info, it doesn't mean you need to start getting all uptight.

joffner1208

Jun 21, 2007
This is by far just a rumor. i find it hard to believe that they would cost there own customers that much more, that would turn a lot of people away from buying the phone.