iPhone will switch to WiFi when available?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Steve Jobs said that the iPhone will automatically switch to WiFi when available. I'm a little un-educated when it comes to WiFi, and I'm wondering how the iPhone will decide which signal to connect to when there are multiple WiFi signals available. Does it choose the strongest one, will we have any control as to which one to connect to? I have WiFi at my home for my wife's Laptop and we are able to see all WiFi signals in the immediate area and it's possible to jump on any of them provided it's not locked out.
I would be interested in hearing from the rest of you about this.
Any thoughts? :cool:

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I believe you may have to first "register" each hotspot. Its possible that there may be a Would you like to connect X ? Question. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
This may be a silly question, but isn't WiFi faster than 3G? I live in NYC and there are "hotspots" everywhere, including every city park and from most buildings. I can see why in other places people are needing 3g.

Mar 7, 2007
I think the WiFi in the iPhone is just like the airport in all of the macbooks, so it finds the strongest one and connects to it, unless it is password protected. And as far as 3G versus WiFi, it depends a lot on how you are using the internet, if you are on the road using google maps you cant get to a hotspot than that 3G is virtually your GPS. but as far as New York City and getting to a hotspot, it depends on how fast of internet that hotspot has because it they are only paying for 1.3mbps internet or something than 3G would still be faster at 1.8 mbps.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
I think the WiFi in the iPhone is just like the airport in all of the macbooks, so it finds the strongest one and connects to it, unless it is password protected. And as far as 3G versus WiFi, it depends a lot on how you are using the internet, if you are on the road using google maps you cant get to a hotspot than that 3G is virtually your GPS. but as far as New York City and getting to a hotspot, it depends on how fast of internet that hotspot has because it they are only paying for 1.3mbps internet or something than 3G would still be faster at 1.8 mbps.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

May 6, 2007
United States
I believe you may have to first "register" each hotspot. Its possible that there may be a Would you like to connect X ? Question. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
This might be true, but I thought Steve noted that there would be no setup required. I originally thought this would mean that it would be all automatic, but I am not exactly sure. Maybe you will set up a home network and other than that, it will all be automatic. What are the details on the networking? I do not know much other than that WiFi is supported. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
This might be true, but I thought Steve noted that there would be no setup required. I originally thought this would mean that it would be all automatic, but I am not exactly sure. Maybe you will set up a home network and other than that, it will all be automatic. What are the details on the networking? I do not know much other than that WiFi is supported. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks.
A lot of networks are secured. Basically that means you have to know a key/password to use them. With my MacBook Pro I have to enter the key/password the first time I use a new network. The next time I want to use that network the MBP remembers the key/password for me. I am sure that is how the iPhone will work as well.

Steve's comment about wifi being automatic was in reference to switching from EDGE to wifi and back. If there is a wifi network available, the iPhone will use it and if not it will use EDGE.

May 6, 2007
United States
A lot of networks are secured. Basically that means you have to know a key/password to use them. With my MacBook Pro I have to enter the key/password the first time I use a new network. The next time I want to use that network the MBP remembers the key/password for me. I am sure that is how the iPhone will work as well.

Steve's comment about wifi being automatic was in reference to switching from EDGE to wifi and back. If there is a wifi network available, the iPhone will use it and if not it will use EDGE.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying that. Wjp, maybe that will be true. I am sure there will be some kind of notification or popup.

Thanks guys.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
probably only will get a popup when you are present to a secured wifi connection. If their are open hotspots open, it will probably connect to them automatically.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I just want to make sure it works with my wifi network at home and at work. If it can work in those two places, I shouldn't have any troubles at all with data usage.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007

The post above is 100% correct.

I would like to ad the following details, since I use WiFi everywhere, everyday. I travel for businesss and a laptop is my main computer.

It could be said that there are "three" categories of WiFi Access:

1) Unsecured access in a "Hot-Spot" that is free.

2) Unsecured access in a hot-spot that you pay for.

Think: Starbucks which uses T-Mobile as their service provider. I use T-Mobile when meeting clients at Starbucks weekly. They also serve many hotels, bookstores, airports etc.

3) Secured access in a hot-spot that requires a password to gain access.

These are typically the kind that the government & corporations use.

In each of the scenarios above it's customary to see a pop up box appear that shows you the network or networks (as there are often more than just one in range) you have available to you. At this point you choose which wireless network you wish to connect to and proceed accordingly.

In my particular case all the networks I use with the exception of Starbucks are Secured access points, requiring a password or authentication code.

I have a secured network at my home, office, satellite office, etc.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Cheers...

dino_russ

May 16, 2007
probably only will get a popup when you are present to a secured wifi connection. If their are open hotspots open, it will probably connect to them automatically.
Hope it works that way. I know a lot of friends who use the airport/wireless in there mac/pc laptops to log in on road to these open hotspots. Plan to do the same, getting a new Macbook for now to to that, but would love size and portability of iPhone down road when It gets more memory (want at least 60 GB like my video iPod).

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Regarding how it connects, if you only use _one_ wireless network, then it automatically connects without requiring your input, after your first initial setup.

However if you are in range of more than one wireless network, such as when traveling or simply in an area where more that one are present, then a dialog box pops up to allow you the opportunity of choosing which one you wish to connect to. If this location is one that you usually use the majority of the time then you can set your network of choice as the default and it will not launch a pop up window the next time you are there.

Cheers....

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Regarding how it connects, if you only use _one_ wireless network, then it automatically connects without requiring your input, after your first initial setup.

However if you are in range of more than one wireless network, such as when traveling or simply in an area where more that one are present, then a dialog box pops up to allow you the opportunity of choosing which one you wish to connect to. If this location is one that you usually use the majority of the time then you can set your network of choice as the default and it will not launch a pop up window the next time you are there.
Additionally, if you move to a different wireless network that you have already approved it will automatically switch to it without a popup.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
I just want to make sure it works with my wifi network at home and at work. If it can work in those two places, I shouldn't have any troubles at all with data usage.
Well, it can supports 802.11b/g Wi-Fi. So, if you have a 802.11g Router or a 802.11b Router then it should be able to connect.

I have a device that allows me to use MSN by connecting to the internet via Wi-fi, and that is programmed to take the strongest un-protected signal available, so I assume that is what will probably happen on the iPhone.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
If it's anything like the current iBooks it will have some security settings about being able to connect to secure or unsecure networks.

Other than that it should connect and switch seemlessly from network to network. That is.. if you walk from one place to another that has multiple Wi-Fi networks.. Like.. a dorm building, or airport.