iPhone will switch to WiFi when available?

May 6, 2007
United States
If it's anything like the current iBooks it will have some security settings about being able to connect to secure or unsecure networks.

Other than that it should connect and switch seemlessly from network to network. That is.. if you walk from one place to another that has multiple Wi-Fi networks.. Like.. a dorm building, or airport.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I think they mentioned something about it automatically switching, and I am guessing and hoping this will happen at all times unless the user needs to be prompted for security reasons.

robbys

Feb 25, 2007
I'm hoping that in this scenario: 'You are out of range of the EDGE network and cannot get a cell signal' that the iPhone will still allow you to use Wi-Fi to access the internet. Does anyone think that if you aren't able to even get a signal to make calls, that you won't be able to use the wi-fi feature? This probably wouldn't happen very often, but at our house on the lake which is in a remote location, GSM is not available. Roaming is a possiblity, but not for high speed data.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I'm hoping that in this scenario: 'You are out of range of the EDGE network and cannot get a cell signal' that the iPhone will still allow you to use Wi-Fi to access the internet. Does anyone think that if you aren't able to even get a signal to make calls, that you won't be able to use the wi-fi feature? This probably wouldn't happen very often, but at our house on the lake which is in a remote location, GSM is not available. Roaming is a possiblity, but not for high speed data.
I see no reason why you would not be able to use wifi when GSM is unavailable. I would think they are completely independent. There are times when GSM must be turned off (in hospitals and in flight for example) and it only makes sense to allow wifi to work in these situations.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
Since the iPhone is running OS X, it will probably act like OS X, ie; not bug you with everything little thing that happens like windows does.

The WiFi (or Airport) in the iPhone will do what you expect it to do; connect to the strongest available connection. If it can't connect to any, it'll use EDGE. If it finds a secure connection, it'll ask you for the password and remember it.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Well, I am not getting service form EDGE. TOO EXPENSIVE! Haha, and when I spoke to a representative from Cingular, they told me that they could block my phone from using EDGE, but that it would still be able to use Wi-Fi, let's hope that's true! =]

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You might be required to have some sort of data plan to get the iPhone, so you might as well use EDGE when you don't have wifi access.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm sure Apple has this covered, seeing as you may have several connections to choose from, so the phone would connect to the strongest, most relevant signal.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
My current plan with cingular only allows me to use 1mb of internet a month. Im not really sure how much that turns out to be because I rarely use it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
My current plan with cingular only allows me to use 1mb of internet a month. Im not really sure how much that turns out to be because I rarely use it.
I don't currently have a data plan with Cingular other than an old text message plan (100 messages for $2.99), so they charge me $.01/Kb for data transfers. I do know that EDGE is not as bad as I thought it would be. It's certainly much faster than GPRS.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
If you plan on surfing via EDGE, you can use that 1MB visiting a single page. One email with some pictures attached will use up your allotment as well. I learned the hard way that you don't want to exceed the limit of your data plan. It can get really expensive really quick :eek:.

If you plan on surfing or receiving emails with attachments, IMHO an unlimited data plan is the only way to go. I just hope it is reasonably priced.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
If you plan on surfing or receiving emails with attachments, IMHO an unlimited data plan is the only way to go. I just hope it is reasonably priced.
I could not agree more. If the iPhone performs as it should (and I truly hope it does) then the experience will be so compelling and enjoyable, one will certainly want to have an unlimited data plan.

Cheers....:)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I could not agree more. If the iPhone performs as it should (and I truly hope it does) then the experience will be so compelling and enjoyable, one will certainly want to have an unlimited data plan.

Cheers....:)
Even if that enjoyment costs $40 additional bucks/month.

loopi_lu

Nov 6, 2007
why does it say on some networks "unable to join network" even if it is a network that is not locked? my house network does that aswell!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Like said above, some hotspots require logging in.

Also, while the iPhone does always emit Wi-Fi scanning rays, the connection time may depend on how much traffic the particular hotspot is getting, or how far away from you it is.