iPhone wins!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
So I was getting tired of the iPhone, just sick of the lack of features I need; mainly push email for work, bigger hard drive and 3G. So I sold my iPhone, and bought the HTC TyTn II. This phone has more features than I could ever think of and is the most powerful PPC phone out there right now.

Let me tell you, within 6 days, I sold it and bought another iPhone. It's clear to me now that while you can have all the features you want, if the phone is clunky and hard to use and doesn't deliver the same overall "experience", for me at least, those features don't mean squat.

Plain and simply Apple, despite the criticisms, has revolutionized cell phones forever. Stylus seems archaic now, non-VGA screens seem archaic now, Safari IS the BEST mobile browser that has ever come out, visual voicemail is ingenius, and the list goes on. No matter what happens from now on, we will never see cell phones how they used to be ever again. This is the new standard, and phones from here on out are going to show this. It's evolution, I learned the hard way, and I'd rather have my iPhone with less features, than a powerhouse that makes me miserable every time I use it!

Lesson learned!

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I miss things like Slingbox and emulators and whatnot, nut it's just not worth it. It's more like walking your whole life and then being forced to use crutches for the rest of your life :)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Plain and simply Apple, despite the criticisms, has revolutionized cell phones forever. Stylus seems archaic now, non-VGA screens seem archaic now, Safari IS the BEST mobile browser that has ever come out, visual voicemail is ingenius, and the list goes on. No matter what happens from now on, we will never see cell phones how they used to be ever again.
Bingo!

This is exactly why I was so frustrated when I had lost my 3rd party apps the other day (due to 1.1.1).

On one hand I was ticked off that Apple locked out devs, but on the other hand I knew it would be VERY hard to look at another phone that doesn't at least have the same res screen, browsing experience, and overall "feel" of the iPhone.

I suspect such phones will appear in the future, but I don't see anything out there right now...

--
Mike

Aug 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
The HTC devices have more features than the iPhone, but I too sold my HTC (Cingular 8525) for the iPhone. One thing that always made me mad is that the HTC would randomly freeze for no reason. I had a program to terminate all running programs when not in use to help minimize the phone freezing, but here's what got me..........

2 times my phone rang, I tried to answer, but the phone froze both times! If I can't even use my phone to answer a call, that does it. I had to reboot and this isn't fun when we are on the go and have to reboot and tell your friend, sorry my phone froze and I couldn't answer the call!

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Back in the fold for life ;)

Yeah the HTC is a great device and I will never talk bad about it, it's just that it seems too difficult to use now. For example, I was driving and wanted to call someone, and the task of simply finding the number in my contacts almost made me crash, lol. Granted I shouldn't be doing that while driving anyway, but still. On the iPhone, this can be done with just my thumb and minimal concentration!

Even answering a call is a simple swipe of the finger. Also, I officially hate stylus. Having to pull out a small device like that just to operate is so difficult now. I guess I'm spoiled but so be it.

I never modded my iPhone before so I'm not quite as mad as many are about the lack of 3rd party apps now, but I highly doubt Apple will deny them for long, especially with things like Slingbox which is supposedly in the works.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
been a long time Htc user myself and my experience was exactly as yours: had the Kaiser about 5 days and went back to the iPhone for the same reasons.
But....still seek an iphone-like feature rich device so I AM looking at the 3.5 inch screen keyboardless 3G Htc 6500 actually out overseas now.But the screen resolution and browser of course will fall short, I'm sure!

JewelDiamond

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
The HTC devices have more features than the iPhone, but I too sold my HTC (Cingular 8525) for the iPhone. One thing that always made me mad is that the HTC would randomly freeze for no reason. I had a program to terminate all running programs when not in use to help minimize the phone freezing, but here's what got me..........

2 times my phone rang, I tried to answer, but the phone froze both times! If I can't even use my phone to answer a call, that does it. I had to reboot and this isn't fun when we are on the go and have to reboot and tell your friend, sorry my phone froze and I couldn't answer the call!
Hi, you sound exactly like me.. I too have sold me 8525 for the iPhone. It's way to bulky and difficult I agree. I also experienced the freezing all the time! It's so great to have a phone now that performs right.

micirv7899

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Newcastle, UK
I'm a uk iPhone user and i love it!

i don't have a data p[lan so i cant use you tube etc

but as an ipod and a phone its class.

This is without a doubt a class act, i love it, so will all britons,:laugh2:

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
been a long time Htc user myself and my experience was exactly as yours: had the Kaiser about 5 days and went back to the iPhone for the same reasons.
But....still seek an iphone-like feature rich device so I AM looking at the 3.5 inch screen keyboardless 3G Htc 6500 actually out overseas now.But the screen resolution and browser of course will fall short, I'm sure!
Interesting. Would love to hear about that some more. HTC seems set in the TyTn-PPC mode. I've never heard of this one. But given my experience, iPhone is what I want. I'd be curious to see what HTC can do. The HTC Touch was admirable, but hardly compared.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Looked at the HTC 6500. Looks nice, but OS is still PPC. Not discounting it of course, but would love to hear from folks that have this to see how it works. Just to knit-pick, I would imagine Explorer is the browser, and not upgraded to Safari status? A comparison of the two would be great, if anyone cares to contribute.

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
Well I can't say I know much about smartphone, the only one I ever owned was the tmobile sda. That lasted Gor about 2 months and I went back to my razr v3t. So I am very pleased with the fact that many agree for a phone with many capabilities, my money was best spent here!

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
about time!

From rampant Apple bashing to this thread of praise! I'm glad to see more bonding in here as of late than arguing.

It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

FW

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
From rampant Apple bashing to this thread of praise! I'm glad to see more bonding in here as of late than arguing.

It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

FW
I hear you, I've been thinking all day about leaving EIP. It isn't the same as when I joined. I am only reading this post tonight, so I can still enjoy visiting tomorrow.

To keep on topic, I came from a treo 650, and I could never go back to palm, or their OS. I don't know how often the HTC would freeze, but I spent more time resetting the treo650 than using it. Mostly due to 3rd party apps that wouldn't play nice together. I am glad that hasn't happened with the iPhone, ever.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I hear you, I've been thinking all day about leaving EIP. It isn't the same as when I joined. I am only reading this post tonight, so I can still enjoy visiting tomorrow.

To keep on topic, I came from a treo 650, and I could never go back to palm, or their OS. I don't know how often the HTC would freeze, but I spent more time resetting the treo650 than using it. Mostly due to 3rd party apps that wouldn't play nice together. I am glad that hasn't happened with the iPhone, ever.
Amen to that. I could never go back to a Treo, and boy, I loved my Treos (270, 600, 650). I could watch full length movies on my 600 4 years ago, but it was so much work and experimentation to put it there and make it work. And the screen was so small. Then came the 650, which I spent so much time resetting, not to mention the error messages followed by endless loops which required reinstalling everything, one app at a time and figuring out what made it crash. Expensive 3rd party apps. I gave it to my 10 year-old. When I grab it and try to use it, I remember about the stylet and the awkward buttons that did different things in different apps. I know I could never go back to it, even though I could do more things with it than with the iPhone, but not often very well.