iPhone + Winter = Bad, What's an alternative to the stylus? (or even the $40 gloves?)

muckymucky

Bronze
Aug 19, 2007
aye Bay~Bay~
winter just came abruptly here and gloves are necessarily worn. but everytime i gotta touch my iPhone, i gotta take off my gloves and expose them to the cold.

now i've searched and found that the touchscreen is operated by a charge-mechanism and only thing that works is the $25 stylus, or the $40 gloves.

but i just want to TOUCH my phone without taking off my gloves...
is there any DIY way that i can possibly make a stylus out of everyday things? (the pencil's eraser tip i thought was a plausible device, but it doesn't work)

so without spending maybe no more than $10, what can i do to get my TOUCH on?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, the screen is made to work without a stylus so I don't know how much luck you're going to have finding something that will work with the iPhone. Maybe you can find some of the gloves that look like mittens, but they actually have holes for all of the fingers, but the mitten part folds back so you can easily get them on and off?

muckymucky

Bronze
Aug 19, 2007
aye Bay~Bay~
lol no, im looking to have my fingers unexposed also. i found this link on Modmyifone but it basicly makes a aluminum circuit out of a pencil and you MUST touch it with your skin to conduct the charge, so that doesn't work... i don't want skin exposed.

even the $25 stylus, does anyone know if your skin HAS to be in contact with the metal?

sigh, there must be a way~:oops:

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Uses your electrical charge, gotta be some flesh on iPhone action somewhere. Best bet are those snazzy iPhone gloves me think.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I am concerned about static discharge. Its cold here and static is high. I will bet that one good discharge and the iPhone touch screen is fried.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I have these gloves and i can use my phone when Im wearing them.

They are regular gloves:

*These aren't mine I just googled for a picture but they are exactly like this*

Anyway there is very little space in between the the fiber and the phone registers it as skin contact. You should look to get some, put them on first and see if you can see any of your finger at all.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Mt friend has some slim Nike running gloves; the ones with pouches on the palms for keys, and those work with his iPod touch.

grazeny

Feb 26, 2008
iPhone winter gloves

check this out:

www.dotsgloves.com

lol no, im looking to have my fingers unexposed also. i found this link on Modmyifone but it basicly makes a aluminum circuit out of a pencil and you MUST touch it with your skin to conduct the charge, so that doesn't work... i don't want skin exposed.

even the $25 stylus, does anyone know if your skin HAS to be in contact with the metal?

sigh, there must be a way~:oops:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you could modify the index finger of your right (or left, as the case may be) glove so as to make just a tiny little hole (I'm thinking 1/2cm)... just big enough to peek the fleshy tip of your finger through (it takes a VERY light touch as I'm sure you know), you may be able to strike a balance between phone operability and finger warmth.

It could really even be just a slit that you can push your finger through, but not all the way.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Sounds interesting. I have a thin pair of gloves that allow me to touch the screen if I press hard enough, but of course thin gloves don't work quite as well, and the harder press defeats what I've gotten used to with the iPhone - easy, smooth touch operation.

I'll look into the dots gloves. Maybe I'll actually be able to wear gloves now! (thus far, I've just been sacrificing my well being just to be able to use the phone optimally in cold weather.)

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
There are a few hunting brands that sell sniper gloves with removable trigger fingers. One brand is Hatch and another is Blackhawk. I looked for these online but it may be easier to get some from a local gunshop. If someone finds them online hit up a link. I gave up looking for them and have resorted to licking my phone to answer it (and show affection of course).