iPhone without Data plan - how to, please help!

Nov 27, 2008
Hey everyone. I'm very interested in getting an iPhone because I basically want to have my iTunes combined with my phone so i don';t have to carry both around...and I also love the text messaging on this phone. However, I do not need or want the data plan. Just calling, texting, use for iTunes...

How do I do this? I already have ATT. Can I just get an unlocked phone and use it (and sync it to iTunes) without incurring all the data charges? Can I get the newer 3g iPhone or would i need the original?

I'm very confused on how to do this without having a data plan and charges...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, you can't. I asked AT&T about it when I first got my iPhone and they wouldn't let me get anything below 1500 txt messages and unlimited internet.

Just my 2 cents on this but...

Having an iPhone for just what you stated seems wasteful. The iPhone has a vast amount of capability, with the minimum being a revolutionary internet browser, and you're just using it as a mere phone and iPod....

That's like having a state-of-the-art Supercomputer and using it to browse the internet with IE.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
You do not have to get txt message plan if you don't want.

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
You do not have to get txt message plan if you don't want.
weird.

but you must have the iPhone data plan, no exceptions. the only way around it is to get a first gen and hacktivate it, otherwise you have to select it when you activate it on iTunes and asking for its removal over the phone with CS will get you nowhere. the purchase and user agreement for the phone requires the activation and maintenance of the data plan to use ANY of its features.

as for the 3g, you cant hacktivate it and trying to circumvent it results in the same deal above.

your only guaranteed shot is to buy a first gen, unlock and hactivate it on another carrier to avoid data.

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Yes, you need data plan....

Dec 3, 2008
wat u can do is unlock the phone use t-mobile sim card.. and don;t get the data plan... simple or if you want to use att then put your simcard in some other phone which not required data plan.. call att and give them your phone imei then cancel data plan then put that sim card into iPhone and make sure that u tell att to block internet on phone.. so incase u got in internet u won;t charged...