iPhone without phone?

Viper

Bronze
Dec 31, 2007
Can I purchase an iPhone for my daughter and not activate the phone? Only use it now for ipod and camera?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Sorry no. Until you activate it will not do anything.

Viper

Bronze
Dec 31, 2007
I have an iPhone that I use now. Any chance I could buy another one and de-activate my current one and then use it or will it not work at all once de-activated? Thanks

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Petalmom is right. But I read a thread in the forum, that a 50$ month pay as you go and only use it one month, then stop service, your phone is deactivated put all the other services and apps work.

Do a quick search and you will find it. If I come across it I post it.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Sorry no. Until you activate it will not do anything.
not true. There are hacks you can do, or enter all 9's in the SSN field, forcing a pay as you go, which you could cancel.

I'll come back with more info, but I have to go...

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I have an iPhone that I use now. Any chance I could buy another one and de-activate my current one and then use it or will it not work at all once de-activated? Thanks
Yes, that might work.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
not true. There are hacks you can do, or enter all 9's in the SSN field, forcing a pay as you go, which you could cancel.

I'll come back with more info, but I have to go...
Entering all 9's no longer works; in fact, it hasn't worked for months.... I should know, I tried it based on information provided here in the forums.

Entering all 9's causes you to receive a message during activation that your account requires further processing. You will (w/in 10 minutes) get an email from AT&T account activation with a phone and ID#.

Once you call that number, the CSR will ask you for the ID# from the email; once they get that, they will then cancel the account you were trying to establish in the first place.

Once the account is canceled, you can then get back on iTunes and do the activation all over again; this time using your correct SS#. When you get to the end, you will be presented with an option to pick your plan.

As KNK stated, you can grab the cheapest PYP and after a month, just don't pay. You don't necessarily have to call and say cancel.

Viper

Bronze
Dec 31, 2007
Entering all 9's no longer works; in fact, it hasn't worked for months.... I should know, I tried it based on information provided here in the forums.

Entering all 9's causes you to receive a message during activation that your account requires further processing. You will (w/in 10 minutes) get an email from AT&T account activation with a phone and ID#.

Once you call that number, the CSR will ask you for the ID# from the email; once they get that, they will then cancel the account you were trying to establish in the first place.

Once the account is canceled, you can then get back on iTunes and do the activation all over again; this time using your correct SS#. When you get to the end, you will be presented with an option to pick your plan.

As KNK stated, you can grab the cheapest PYP and after a month, just don't pay. You don't necessarily have to call and say cancel.
I was told, if you have good credit.....It will not let you do the month to month plan. It will only let you do contract. Is this true?

I went and bought a new iPhone and just got home with it. I need to figure out how to get it working without phone service.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I was told, if you have good credit.....It will not let you do the month to month plan. It will only let you do contract. Is this true?

I went and bought a new iPhone and just got home with it. I need to figure out how to get it working without phone service.

That is just it. You have to enter all 9's in your social security in order to kick it into the month mode.

Viper

Bronze
Dec 31, 2007
That is just it. You have to enter all 9's in your social security in order to kick it into the month mode.
Originally Posted by scandalex

Last edited by a moderator:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007

When I activated, I was given 3 options, the last one being PYP. I was elated because I already have a life-long contract w/ Sprint and didn't want to commit 2 yrs to AT&T.

Viper, I believe you must activate it first with service; other than that, I don't think you can get past the activation screen. Until activated, it is just a paperweight.

I kept mine activated for 1 month. I don't need to make calls w/ it and for everything else, I use Wi-Fi.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Petalmom is right. But I read a thread in the forum, that a 50$ month pay as you go and only use it one month, then stop service, your phone is deactivated put all the other services and apps work.

Do a quick search and you will find it. If I come across it I post it.
The cheapest plan, if memory serves me correctly, was $39.99 + 19.99 for MediaNet. In the end, it was $72 a month (including taxes).

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
The cheapest plan, if memory serves me correctly, was $39.99 + 19.99 for MediaNet. In the end, it was $72 a month (including taxes).

This is about a month to month thing, look at macgirl post and the links. Not a contract plan.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Seems like a bit of extra and unnecessary work just to be able to use it as an iPod. Sure the camera feature is nice but if you don't want to deal with the hassle there is always the iPod Touch (which I'm pretty sure you're already aware of).

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
This is about a month to month thing, look at macgirl post and the links. Not a contract plan.
What I posted was month to month. Its called Pick Your Plan. There is no contract.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
cool. So they actually offer a pay as you go plan now?

YUP...this workaround is just to get by the activation. When the V2 comes out and I port the number to my new V2, then I will give my old one to my 9 year old, and he has all the fun without cost.

Viper

Bronze
Dec 31, 2007
Seems like a bit of extra and unnecessary work just to be able to use it as an iPod. Sure the camera feature is nice but if you don't want to deal with the hassle there is always the iPod Touch (which I'm pretty sure you're already aware of).
Yep, I had an ipod touch first but didn't like that it doesn't have a speaker like the phone.