iPhone won't charge or turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by damstr, Dec 3, 2007.

1. damstr

damstr Member

Well I left to go somewhere for the weekend and forgot the wall charger for my iPhone and it eventually died on me a couple hours before I got home.

At this point if I pressed any buttons on the iPhone, a battery with a very small amount of red on the left side of the battery would flash and underneath the battery would be 2 symbols which read in symbols; charger plug > electricity.

I obvioulsy knew what this meant but after sitting plugged into my computer for 3 hours it hadn't charged at all and wouldn't even turn on. I tried doing a hard reset and it would keep going back to the battery screen.

So I thought maybe it needed a wall charger to charge it when it was this low. Plugged it in for a couple hours and nothing.

When it's plugged in, the screen stays illuminated showing the battery and the electricity symbol below. If I take it off the charger it shows the plug symbol > electricity symbol like before.

Hope this made sense.

Like I said before I've tried resetting it. Doesn't show up in my computer when I plug it in so I don't know what to do.
  2. geordisjd

geordisjd Zealot

Change USB cable. Restore. Not luck, time for repair.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. damstr

damstr Member

Took it to Apple and they replaced it which was amazing considering that if it did turn on they would see that it was modded, it had a cracked screen (glass part right down the middle pratically) and there were a lot of dents on the back.

Now I just need to figure out how to get iTunes to recognize my new iPhone.

EDIT: nvm I thought it was plugged into my computer but was actually still plugged into the wall charger. :p
  5. robby69

robby69 New Member

Same thing happened to my 3 month old iphone. Mine was factory with very little use. I am waiting for mine to come back from Apple. Pretty good service, overnight delivery of shipping label and overnight shipping back both ways. I think Apple still has alot of quality control issues though. I am definitely going to get the $79 extended warranty before my year is up.
  6. sm86

sm86 New Member

Same Problem - FIXED

I had the same exact problem and I was able to fix it! No need to take it to Apple.

(specifically convinient for those of us that got the iphone 3g on ebay)

This is how it happened:

I was talking on the iphone when it said that my battery had less than 10% so, I went ahead and connected it to the wall charger I have for it and continued to talk. 30 mins later the iphone just turned off completely. I was pretty upset to say the least. I went to turn it on again and found the same exact picture being described. I figured I just had to let it be for a few hours on the wall charger.

The next day in the morning I find out that the iphone had the same picture and had not charged 1 bit!

I restarted it (pressed the power and home buttons to force it to shut down and turned it on again) and nothing, same picture. I took out the charger and put it back, nothing, same picture (it would even turn off if I didn't put the charger back in right away).

I then used my USB dock (a dock actually for the old iphone version, but that still works for the 3g, if you force it in). And nothing my computer would not recognize it.

Finally I thought of something:

I placed in the dock and turned it on, once again giving me the annoying battery screen. However, this time I actually restarted my computer. My rational was that if the device was connected while it was booting up the computer had to recognize it somehow.

During my computer's boot sequence the iphone appeared to had turned off, I didn't touch anything though. After windows loaded, I noticed that still the iphone was black as if it was turned off. Thinking that it probably ran out battery once again, I went to turn on the iphone while still having it on the dock (during this whole time I had not removed it from the dock).

And alas! I saw the apple symbol and my springboard showed up!

It is now currently charging (I can see the charge increase on the screen, when I lock the screen, it is now halfway and green) on my usb dock.

I went to place it back on the wall charger though and it seems that it doesn't work. I will be buying a new wall charger soon.

I am thinking when I was talking on the iphone and connected it to the wall it simply never charged and thus the battery completely drained. As soon as I placed it on something that wasn't broken (ie: my iphone usb dock) it started to charge but still was frozen on that (stupid) battery screen. Restarting my computer while connected did something to the iphone so that now it is fully operational. All without having to resort to apple's communist ways of trying to control all aspects of your life.

Personally I'm not an apple fan. I "gave into" the whole iphone thing when I figured out there was a generation of people my age committed into fighting back the apple empire while still using its technology.

Cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  7. iPhone™

iPhone™ New Member

God, This would of been the part where I would of silently panicked and cried for 15 seconds.

But it's good to hear you got you iPhone back working :p
  8. flapper

flapper New Member

This works

Thanks for this - it worked!

My 3g Iphone died during the night and I left on charge in the car whilst I played golf but the phone did not take any charge and the only sign of life was the battery screen.

I tried a wall charger and USB but still no change. I then left it connected via USB to my PC and rebooted the PC. The phone came to life as soon as the PC booted.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. siamesekitten

siamesekitten New Member

I had the EXACT same screen prob. Tried dock, wall charger, USB cable and car charger. Could not turn on phone or get past the battery screen. Plugged it into my Mac, rebooted, and voila! It came on even before the Mac started up, so it must be an issue with the USB port in the iPhone 3G getting stuck in limbo somehow.
  10. Nocturnal_Nick

Nocturnal_Nick New Member

Hi guys,

You're lifesavers! Rebooting my PC while the phone is plugged in works fine! Looks like my eeePC has just become my new wall-charger :-p
  11. 101mouse

101mouse New Member

It worked like you said.

sm86, you're a genius!

Same exact thing happened with my phone. It just displayed the charging screen with the lightning bolt after many hours of charging. I tried the reboot trick. Nothing happened after I booted into Windows. I unplugged the USB cord, let it die (took 5 seconds), plugged it back in, and the Apple logo appeared. What a welcome site.

Thanks for saving me and others time and money with your excellent DIY instructions! :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  12. JimMayor007

JimMayor007 Member

glad everything worked out for you. good to know.
  13. BDS1959

BDS1959 New Member

Dead iPhone

Hope maybe I can help someone? I experienced the same thing as some others - iPhone completely died - battery was dead - would only get the battery with bit of red on the left side and lightning bolt. Ended-up attaching to PC - powered PC off and on with iPhone still attached. Nothing. Then, left USB cable in PC and disconnected at iPhone end for just a second or two and plugged back in. It worked!!! Phone is now charging. Thanks to those who helped before me and gave me something to go on - thought my phone was a goner!
  14. Leitirmoir

Leitirmoir New Member

Really easy fix...

This keeps happening to my iPhone 3g, all that you have to do is:

1. UNPLUG the USB cable from your iPhone,

2. Hold down the home button (black circular button) for 5 secs,

3. Then, keeping the home button pressed, plug in your USB charger.

Et voila!! Your iPhone has the silver apple on the screen = IT IS CHARGING
    :):):):):)

Hope I could be of help...
  15. Ndev777

Ndev777 New Member

Thank you thank you thank you

Im stunned, speechless... but more than anything... EXTREMELY GREATFULL!

My scenario:
    - Stuck on battery charge (lowest point of charge, where usb doesn't work)
    - Went as far as bought a battery, and changed it myself..
    - STILL STUCK...
    - After losing all hope, I thought I'd do one last "google" in my situation..

IT WORKED.... for those who come across reading this and are in the same situation, I can say that for me.. after I rebooted the computer, it was still stuck on the bs charging indicator, with no apparent change... then after about 5 minutes, the apple logo came up, and voiala...

Thanks again!!!!
  16. jruthnam

jruthnam New Member

Dead iphone

Okay, I have tried everything here so far and no luck.

My iphone has the following problems:

- When not plugged in, none of the buttons get a response;
    - When plugged in to recharge, when switched on the phone will show the apple sign, but then turn off.
    - If I hold both buttons down for long enough a prompt will tell me to plug the phone into itunes. If I leave it for a while or unplug the phone, it switches off.
    - When plugged into a USB, when I try to switch the phone on, the screen flashes black (with no back light) before turning off.
    - I can't get the phone to do anything but flash black when plugged into a USB. No luck with rebooting the computer.

It's likely a power problem, but I can't fix it! H E L P!!!!
  17. Hogster

Hogster New Member

I've just registered to say that my iPhone 3GS (32GB) died this evening in the same way as has been described by many of the users above .... I had been using it quite a lot in the day, mainly to check my emails. When I got home the battery was at about 7% after being at about 50% a few hours earlier! I forgot to plug it into the charger and it died whilst refreshing my email inbox. I plugged it into my computer's (Mac) USB port and it showed the charging symbol ... but nothing was happening! I tried restarting the computer with the iPhone plugged in ... nothing. I then shut down the computer, waited for the iPhone screen to go blank, then restarted it ..... bingo! The Apple logo appeared and it's now charging!

Thanks for sharing the solution to this otherwise seemingly 'terminal' problem!

Happy Christmas!! :D

David :)

PS. jruthnam - This doesn't sound like the same problem to me ... do you not see the charging lightning bolt at all when it's plugged into the computer?
  18. fizzp

fizzp New Member

Thanks

Great advice - I had the same stupid stuck non-charging screen and did the rebooting laptop thing and it worked perfectly. Whew! Thanks.
  19. renewkir

renewkir New Member

works

thanks to all those who added little twists to the trick. here's what I had to do:

plug my phone into my laptop (USB).
    turn my laptop completely off, so that my phone's screen went black
    restart the computer
    still nothing at that point, so I unplugged from the phone end, waited for it to go black and plugged it back in. finally, the apple screen. then, making me a little mad, my phone showed that it was 97 percent charged. does this problem only happen to jailbroken phones, or have the rest of you not hacked into yours?
  20. DonMac

DonMac New Member

I just had to register and sign on to thank you.

Woke up in a panic. I had the same display. I thought my charger was bad.

I had horrible images of driving to the Apple Store and confronting a "Genius"

I just Googled "iPhone won't charge or turn on" and there you were. Thinking the worst I followed your terriffic instructions. It didn't work with my Macbook, but it did when I used my PC.

Again, thanks a lot. You saved my day.

(note to self: Bookmark iEverythingCafe)
  21. DonMac

DonMac New Member

Another Question

This happened again in a week. My phone has been "jailbroken". Both times the battery went below the 20% warning.

Is this an exclusive problem of "JailBroken" phones, or just going below the 20% warning, or maybe a combination of both?

I went below the 20% a number of times before I had the phone unlocked and jailbroken.

Wadda ya think?