iPhone won't charge or turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by damstr, Dec 3, 2007.

1. masterchiefx12

masterchiefx12 New Member

My problem is just a bit different:

My iPhone IS jailbroken and once the battery ran down enough the red electric bolt screen is all that I can see.

I CAN get my iPhone to change to the white Apple screen anytime I plug it into the outlet or computer, but after about three minutes, a small circle appears on the screen with status bars. Another three minutes of that nonsense, the status circle icon freezes and the screen flashes white. When its plugged into the wall, the process repeats itself. When its plugged into the macbook, the red electric bolt screen returns.

Ideas?

2. iphonehelp12

iphonehelp12 New Member

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to give a HUGE thank you to everyone. Like many others. I thought that my battery was shot and had to get a new one. As I was searching on google on the topic, I ran across this thread...thank goodness! I tried the initial plugging into computer and restarting, but it unfortunately did nothing. I still had that same crappy red battery bar. I then, like someone suggested, let it sit for a few minutes. Then I unplugged so it died (few seconds) pressed the round circle button for 5 seconds, then plugged into usb while still holding the round circle button and it TOTALLY worked.

Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart ! :) You rock!

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. bedlam13

bedlam13 New Member

Hey everyone im still stuck!

I've done all the restarting, unplugging, holding down home and power, EVERYTHING you guys have had luck with... no matter what i do, where i plug in my iPhone, i keep getting the lightning bolt screen... i tried restarting on 3 different computers with 3 different operation systems and still no luck.

Any other suggestions guys?

And would Apple replace one for me if my iPhone was jailbroken?

5. alejo0121

alejo0121 New Member

Just registered to say thanks, I would have never found out how to restore the iPhone, worked like a charm and the iPhone is alive once again! :D THANK YOU SO MUCH!

6. TUngpiyakul

TUngpiyakul New Member

To SM86 - Thank You very much. I had a very similar problem and fixed by iPhone to a USB port and rebooting my PC. (I had been trying to charge it all day with no luck.)

7. Ejo

Ejo New Member

Guys, I don't really see any battery issues except that the iPhone sometimes doesn't fully charge when you plug it into a wall adaptor. It reaches 95% rather than 100, but what the heck? Resetting the battery by fully discharging it once every while is actually a good thing because it resets the charge counter, Apple recommends it once per month. It resets the counter, it is calibration, but I doubt whether the battery really needs it.

Once you reset it can take a few minutes before the iPhone (also MacBook etc) actually starts charging, but don't panic, this is normal. Designing a good charge procedure is actually a challenge and Apple did it in the right way I think.

Once batteries show a sudden loss of charge during use, or really fail to reach any reasonable performance after a reset have probably reached the max battery life, and typically this should happen after three years of use.

8. Colt

Colt New Member

Perhaps Pointless But Feel The Need To Say Thanks

After perhaps six months of ownership this occurred last night. Red battery bar/sometimes Apple logo/wall chargining does nothing symptoms. Thanks to this board and a few of you geniuses everything is back to normal with the USB and PC reboot combo.

Again, thanks to all who have posted their solutions to this mind-bender of a problem.

9. ace30

ace30 New Member

Hi to every one. My case is little different from all of you. My iPhone 3GS 32GB had the battery running out two nights ago and I was leaving from home at that time so I took with me the emergency charger I bought from eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250593238968&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT. I connected it to my iPhone and it was showing that it was charging. After few minutes I checked if it was charging properly, because it was the first time I was using this charger, and I noticed that the phone was turned off and the charger had no lights on. I tried to turn on my phone but no luck, also note that the battery of the phone was at 14% before I connected it to the charger. When I went home I connected my iPhone to the wall charger but no response at all, not even charging screen. The iPhone is completely dead. I have tried every solution worked for everyone above but still nothing. I am thinking that the emergency charger might cause hardware damage to the iPhone. Any comments are welcome. Need desperately help.

10. bojomojo

bojomojo New Member

Hey Guys..
    This is definitely AWESOME

It worked for me too, and I even had a harder problem :d

My iPhone as all of you died, and didn't want to charge, except that when I put it in charge, it says charging for a cpl of mins, then the charge icon changes to the plugged in icon, and it doesn't charge. That usually can happen if the battery is too hot, but it wasn't as I let it cool down.

Anyways, that was when I connect it to the wall charger, when I connect it to usb, I get a "Yellow Screen", complete yellow screen :D nothing else.

So I tried rebooting with the yellow screen on, it didn't work.. but to overcome this yellow screen, you have to load iTunes and then plug the phone, the Apple logo came up and it loaded and said charging, but it will fail again, I just used i tunes for it to get connected to usb without giving me the yellow screen. Now I just rebooted as suggested by people here while the phone is plugged, and my phone is now "CHARGING" yay!

wish me luck :d

11. omertaj

omertaj New Member

Hello everyone!

I replaced my iPhone 2G's LCD with a new one, last one was not responsing, the digitlizer was messed and it had a crack on its screen, so i decided to buy a new one.

So when it was not responsing and the screen was a mess i couldn't turn it off, so the battery drained, now it doesn't work.

the dock connector, The wall connector nothing works.

I am very frustrated, I cannot send it to Apple as its 3 years old and i m in Pakistan.

Dunno what to do!

All i see when i turn it on is

BATTERY CELL with RED BLINKING

and PLUG with a thunder sign telling me to plug power in.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPREICATEATED!

12. PurpleInside

PurpleInside New Member

Nothings working-am at wits end- pleeeassee help!

Hi everybody,

my iPhone 3Gs now about a half year old suddenly stopped charging, and now it doesn't connect at all to either my laptop or the wall-charger.

Already tried:-
    > using different cables
    >Updating to the latest firmware
    >restarting my pc with the iPhone plugged in

So far nothings worked and I'm abroad so I can't use my warranty for another 3 months till I get back. I'm so fkin lost and hopeless right now, appreciate any help!:(

13. musicmarine117

musicmarine117 New Member

I registered on here just to say thanks to all you guys.. I was having the same problem with my iPhone. It would only charge to the point where it would display the Apple logo then just shut off and on, no matter how long you charged it.. So after trying combinations of all the methods listed here, I finally got the "connect to iTunes" graphic and my phone is currently updating and restoring.. So thanks a million guys.. Now all I have to do is go and get a new sim card.. Unfortunately mine was stolen in Thailand... Go figure, right?

14. phsycology

phsycology Zealot
    Gold

They stole your Sim, but left your phone?! :|

15. Pinkprincess525

Pinkprincess525 New Member

Hey guys!

Thanks a bunch for posting your replies!:eek:k:eek:k I was definitely going to plug my iPhone in the pc if it hadn't of worked with a different method.

What I did was: I used the iPhone dock. I plugged the usb cable in the back and put my iPhone on it praying that it would work. I believe the dock came with the iPhone, but I may be wrong.:D It could have came with a previous iPod but the iPhone fits in it, so it works. So for those who say it hasn't worked in the computer, try this!

If you don't have the iPhone dock:
    -For iPhone 4: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC596?mco=MTc2ODk3Njg
    -Universal Dock: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB125G/C?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MTgxNTg3NzI

16. midimcnasty

midimcnasty New Member

A huge thank you iPhone not charging

Thanks folks. I had the identical problem with my iPhone 3g, would not get above 10% with wall charger and get dropping charge. plugging in with USB to the PC (windows) that I usuall use with the phone resolved the issue. I will make a point not to drop below 20% again.
    :)
    on a side note, I just put a brand new battery in 3 days ago.

17. tigger542u

tigger542u New Member

iPhone 3g not charging

I was experiencing the same issues of my iPhone not charging. Today was the first time this has happened. I have two wall chargers, one for my car, and the usb for the computer. I was trying all of them and nothing was happening. Finally my husband who is technology challenged suggested I look on internet to see if there something on there to help me. I found my answer on this site. Thank you so much. :eek:k:eek:k

18. natmac09

natmac09 New Member

I seem to have a rare case of the Yellow Screen problem...

It stays on the yellow screen for about 5 mins and then reboots normally and everything is fine except for the fact that it doesn't charge and doesn't connect to the computer AT ALL! :mad:

As of yet I have tried EVERY single method to fix this problem but it still persists, and stays at 10% battery...If anyone knows any way to fix this problem (with a different method to others mentioned) then that would be a HUGE help!

Thanks!

19. bgoode2006

bgoode2006 New Member

It worked for me too

Charged my IPod over night and when i woke up it was still on that screen.
    I really didn't think this would work but i had nothing else to go on so i tried it.
    I turned the computer back on and it was still the yellow screen so i unplgged it and plugged it back in after windows loaded up and BAM......it turned on. currently at 4% battery so it did not charge whatsoever while on YSOD

20. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett Member
    Bronze

The real life of any of these phones is 1 year. Anything after that is borrowed time.

21. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I disagree. A lot of people are running around with perfectly good 2G, 3G and 3GS model iPhones.