iPhone won't charge or turn on

ricky2011

Feb 11, 2012
Hello friend! You can follow the below steps to bring back your iPhone to life again: 1.Turn it On/Restart 2.Press Hold and Home button together 3.Change your phone 4.Restore to factory settings

Well I left to go somewhere for the weekend and forgot the wall charger for my iPhone and it eventually died on me a couple hours before I got home.

At this point if I pressed any buttons on the iPhone, a battery with a very small amount of red on the left side of the battery would flash and underneath the battery would be 2 symbols which read in symbols; charger plug > electricity.

I obvioulsy knew what this meant but after sitting plugged into my computer for 3 hours it hadn't charged at all and wouldn't even turn on. I tried doing a hard reset and it would keep going back to the battery screen.

So I thought maybe it needed a wall charger to charge it when it was this low. Plugged it in for a couple hours and nothing.

When it's plugged in, the screen stays illuminated showing the battery and the electricity symbol below. If I take it off the charger it shows the plug symbol > electricity symbol like before.

Hope this made sense.

Like I said before I've tried resetting it. Doesn't show up in my computer when I plug it in so I don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 25, 2012
Santarém, Portugal
Hello People!
Well, I got the same problem as Jonatious, I was resetting my phone and when it asked for charge I plugged in into pc and the phone doesn't charge or appear in iTunes. Now it only shows a red battery sign without charge. I've tried different charges and different pc's and nothing. Need Help guys
Cheers

Oct 12, 2012
Bless you, sm86 and everyone you know! The rebooting my Mac with the phone plugged in worked. I depend on my iPhone 3G for ALL my businesss and home communications and I was in a serious panic after my car, computer, wall charger and two different cables failed to work.

One note... it did take a minute or two after rebooting my Mac before my phone bleeped back to life and the computer recognized it. Longest couple of minutes of my life.

Thierbox

Dec 19, 2012
Ok fantastic this it is working.
BUT, only on the pc of my wife! I don't understand why!
Someone can try to explain us what is it happening here. If it is a bug of the iPhone because this it is not normal for a phone cost new 800 box.
Nobody can give a real solution of this problem.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Ok fantastic this it is working.
BUT, only on the pc of my wife! I don't understand why!
Someone can try to explain us what is it happening here. If it is a bug of the iPhone because this it is not normal for a phone cost new 800 box.
Nobody can give a real solution of this problem.
? You having the same issue as the OP in this thread? Last post before yours was a few months ago

I just had to register too and sign on to thank you all guys.

I had a same problem on my iPhone 3g, and it feels me going crazy about this issue
I just googled and follow this threads, read/follow all your instructions

I totally shut down my pc (Windows XP) with USB cable (without unplugging my phone)
and wait for a while, then suddenly Apple logo appeared.
Turn on my PC, then I put my phone to wall charger.

nothing to buy new charger or any device.

I already bookmarked iEverythingCafe ! ! ! Cheers!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
my iPhone's battery died, and then when I plugged my phone. it vibrated for like a sec and then never turned on, please help :/
Hi and welcome to eiC. I've merged your question into an existing topic, where I think you'll find helpful suggestions and hopefully a solution to your problem.

Feel free to post in this thread if you continue to have problems and let us know what you've tried and what did not work. If you do find a fix, please let us know, as that could help future visitors.

Hope you find the thread helpful.

FOR THOSE THAT TRIED THE STEPS AND DIDN'T WORK:
Omg, so just for reference I have iPhone 5 (not jailbroken) & mine went into the charging screen when I tried to Upgrade to iOs 9. :mad:
I spent 3 days researching this matter, watched countless Youtube videos. Thank You SO much for this thread, now I WILL ADD what I did though, because mine would NOT go from the Charging Screen even following the steps from all users on here, until I decided to follow a battery cord removal step I saw on YouTube. (I suggest you watch a video on how to replace battery, although you're not doing the full steps. )
1. To Remove the battery, I didn't remove the battery completely however; What I did was unscrew the two tiny screws from the bottom of the phone, in between the Charging Port.
2. Then, I took off the two small metal plaques holding the battery cable in place.
3. I just gently removed the cable, gently let the front cover sit while I plugged in the charger cord into the Laptop.

The second I did that, it went from the Charging Screen to the Apple Logo. It then went immediately into the Plug into iTunes screen. From there, I restored the iPhone with iTunes, but did NOT upgrade it. I clicked the Battery cord back into place, and allowed the phone to do it's thing. This took me 3 trials to get it to work, just the unplugging, plugging in to PC step, not the Battery steps.
After it restored it, the iPhone rebooted. and VOILA! :D

I ended up buying a new Battery, because I was convinced my phone was done. But I knew that is was a software problem. It didn't make sense to me why the charging screen would pop up, if the battery was dead.
I bought my iPhone 5 from eBay as well. But it's not a jailbroken phone. Maybe that's why I had to do a few more steps for it to work.

Thanks a MILLION! :LOL: