iPhone won't play music through dock connector

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
I just bought this and when I hook my iPhone up to it via the iPod plug, it will charge the iPhone but will not play music through my car speakers. Any idea why?

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
It was a serious question because it is probably the most talked about topic regarding the ipod. "How do I connect my ipod/iPhone to listen through car stereo speakers." I didn't see your link in the topic and just assumed you were trying to connect with your charging cables.

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
Looking briefly at your link... it doesn't say anywhere that this is compatible with the iPhone. If that's the case you won't get any sound with these cables.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I just bought this and when I hook my iPhone up to it via the iPod plug, it will charge the iPhone but will not play music through my car speakers. Any idea why?

It says it is for the iPod, also I would be afraid of the charger, the pod and the phone are differrent. The phone requires 5V, anything else will damage the battery. No ref to that in the link.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
What KNK said is true.

That notwithstanding, it looks like the iPod end of the cable cluster has a dock adapter, 2 RCA plugs, and a headphone plug. Assuming you wired the other end(s) properly to your Pioneer head unit, what happens when you put the headphone plug in the iPhone's headphone jack? (You may need an adapter to get the plug to fit in the iPhone's recessed jack.)

Does your head unit have an AUX IN port? If so, playing iPhone audio in the car is as simple as using a cable like this one. You can then use a separate car charger if you like.

Good luck.

-K