iPhone won't sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SusanS, May 14, 2012.

1. SusanS

SusanS New Member

Since upgrading to 5.1 I can't sync my iPhone - ie none of my playlists/music files show up. sync'ing worked fine before the upgrade, and when I took it into the Apple store it sync'd fine on their computer. They told me to go home and update my iTunes, but I am usually uptodate with iTunes. I did update, and it still won't sync. Any idea's would be appreciated.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you tried a complete restore of your iPhone? Usually that is the best resolution for this type of issue.

3. SusanS

SusanS New Member

Will I lose my apps/contacts if I do this?

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You should be able to restore from backup, and all of your apps/contacts and music are saved in iTunes. I go a step further and save my contacts elsewhere just incase.

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

You may want to save/sync your contacts with a cloud service such as icloud or Google. That way a simple login and sync will always bring them back. However, as others have mentioned, they are backed up on iTunes and should be recovered from the latest backup after a restore. Good luck!

6. SusanS

SusanS New Member

OK I did the complete restore, and still doesn't work - in fact I can't sync to get my app's back on the phone. The fact that the Apple store could sync the phone on their computer makes me think its an issue with my computer. However, I can sync my iPod, although sometimes when I sync my playlists arrive with songs missing. Is there an easy way to transfer the contents of my iTunes to another computer, and try it on another computer?

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I added a second 70GB drive to my PC last year, exclusively for iTunes data. Recently upgraded that to 500GB as I'm loading more of my CD collection there.
    It was not that hard, just had to do some creative file management to the primary drive so the iTunes data would fit temporarily whilst I swapped drives.
    I would imagine you could copy your iTunes folder from your primary drive to a protable jump/flash drive depending on the size.
    Since my process was all on the same PC, there may be other difficulties I'm unaware of in transporting iTunes data from one computer to another.....

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator