iPhone won't turn off, does weird stuff

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lvanvalk, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Lvanvalk

Lvanvalk New Member

My 2G iPhone suddenly began showing a message saying, basically, "This application isn't compatible with iPhone". But there wasn't any application in use except the phone itself. Since then, the phone will not turn off, and battery runs out overnight. Sometimes the ringer doesn't work, although the vibrate does. I can make and receive calls, use Safari, listen to music--but something is obviously wrong. Tried restoring both on the phone and on iTunes. No luck. Any ideas how to repair? (Apple says "upgrade".)

2. treh

treh New Member

2G acting weird

I'm experiencing the same weirdness with my iPhone. It's been sort of a gradual process. Over the last month or two, some calls activate the ringer, some don't, the keyboard clicks work at random, the phone will not turn off (it just reboots), once in a while I get a quick message that says something like "this accessory is not compatible....", and every 30 seconds or so the phone comes out of sleep mode stays on for a few seconds and then goes back into sleep mode which drains the battery. This has been my trustworthy iPhone for the past 2 years so I'm kind-of bummed out. It just might be time to upgrade...I guess I should feel lucky that it's lasted as long as it has. But I'd really like to know what has caused this to happen. Let me know if you hear anything....:(

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Lvanvalk, what firmware version are you running? If it's not, 3.0.1, updating to that will likely fix these issues. Let us know what happened when you tried to restore in iTunes and we can help you get that to work. Update iTunes to the latest version, then connect the phone and then hit the restore button in iTunes.

4. treh

treh New Member

I'm running 3.0.1 and am still experiencing the same problems.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

treh, start your own thread and we'll try help you.

6. Lvanvalk

Lvanvalk New Member

Reply to Europa

Appreciate the offer of help. I'm running 3.0.1, and the problem started not long after I downloaded this version. I tried resetting the phone both on the phone itself and on iTunes, but the problem persists (except that I rarely get the "This application is not made for iPhone" message any more).

Any further suggestions? Try resetting phone again on iTunes?