iPhone X first impressions

Discussion in 'iPhone X' started by imutter, Nov 3, 2017.

1. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Wow what a nice surprise. Set up a breeze! It's fast, very fast. Face tracking amazingly speedy. I did not expect this level of perfection. Most changes are easy to get used to and intuitive. But then you get the last minute changes were they must have send the UX team on vacation?
    The "done" button at the delete app screen and the red minus circle in the open App screen are just very cheap looking .

2. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

:eek:

3. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I’m wondering if it was ready for prime time or not.

Mine got hung up on activation, had to reset the phone and start over, twice.

It came with 11.0.1, and my 7 plus was on 11.1, so having to update in order to restore from my back up, and it got hung up again at preparing update. Restarted and then was able to update.

4. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

I was having the same issues and still couldn’t get it to work regardless of everything being up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I'm on 10.3.3.

Is there going to be a problem restoring from a backup to with the X on 11? :confused:

6. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Contributor
    Bronze

I’m not sure. I had to update the X after I got it running. So if you update your current phone. Then setup your X as a new phone and then do the update on that phone. Make sure iTunes is up to date. You shouldn’t have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Loving the X so far. My biggest gripes are small things, really. First, I wish the battery percentage was something I could choose to show instead of the signal bars or wifi symbol. I would much rather have to swipe to control center to check wifi connection/signal strength than battery %. Second, once in multi-task switcher screen, apps should be able to be swiped up to force close immediately rather than first having to hold down to get the red - bubbles, then swipe up. Other than those couple of things, the bigger concerns I had whether the Face ID would perform or the Notch would get in the way are non-issues and expectation exceeders in terms of speed for the Face ID and unimportance of the notch.

8. sstalk

sstalk Member
    Bronze

My phone ran great all weekend. But today the screen has frozen on the home screen twice. I had to do the volume up, then down, then main button until the apple logo comes up to reboot the phone.
    I knew us early adopters would have a few bugs to work out for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This is an iOS 11 problem. That was happening on my 7 Plus on iOS 11 as well.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'me running iOS 11.2 Beta 2 on my iPhone X and haven't experienced any freezes yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. sstalk

sstalk Member
    Bronze

Thanks Naps. I had freezes on my 6+. But I figured it was due to how old it was. Bummer to see that it is an iOS issue.

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I love the face ID it's fast and reliable for me. I got no issues it works even with my light sun glasses. Ok I have a hard time at night driving. I certainly had more issues using my finger print,
    The Uconnect in my jeep bluetoothed with the new phone STINKS.
    I keep getting a lot of accidental homescreen screenshots.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If you have trouble unlocking with Face ID in your car, try going into Settings and turn off Require Attention for Face ID. This works very well for me; it works every time in the car now.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Regarding turning off Require Attention for Face ID, this will enable Face ID to operate with your eyes closed, so security will suffer a bit. Just an advisory.

• List
  15. Muckcityjustin

Gold

My first impressions are that this is an amazing machine. Set up for me was easy even though my 8+ was on 11.1 and the X was not. It started the set up process then told me I needed to upgrade, which it did. Once I got it set up (7 minutes total) I was a little thrown off on the size in my hand because I was coming from all +'s until now. That went away within a day as I welcomed the size and one hand usability not to mention the size of the actual screen (also it fits in my pocket much better than a +). Face ID has been phenomenal for me so far, I have not had one issue with it. I was given a free Samsung wireless pad when I purchased my 8+ from sprint and face ID even recognizes my face when it's on that and not directly in my line of vision. The notch was weird for me at first but quickly got over it. The speed of everything on this phone is frankly amazing. The video it takes the best I've seen on a phone. The picture quality in low light has me shocked. All in all I am 100% happy with my X.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I was happy with how quickly the notch became a non-issue for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Muckcityjustin

Gold

same, that was what I felt like was going to be my major gripe.

18. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I have to admit... I am really loving mine. It's extremely quick and I think they thought out the gestures well. I don't miss the home button at all. Gotta give Apple Props for this phone. Very nice.

19. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

How do I screenshot something without the home button??

20. sstalk

sstalk Member
    Bronze

Volume up and sleep button together.