iPhone1g into iPod touch

gsxr370

Apr 12, 2007
how do I turn my iPhone into a touch. My 2yr old always watches movies on it and I don't want her dropping my 3gs

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
how do I turn my iPhone into a touch. My 2yr old always watches movies on it and I don't want her dropping my 3gs
Remove the SIM card. You still have to contend with WiFi. If you jailbreak, you can perform a hack that removes WiFi capability as well.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
you can't physically turn your iPhone v1 into an ipod touch.

I suppose taking the sim card out of it and putting a few restrictions on it through your settings would solve the problem.

Apart from that, then that's pretty much it

HO1973

Jun 30, 2009
I'd also like to turn an old 1g iPhone into an iPod touch. Most people have said that it should be no problem, just a matter of removing the SIM card. Unfortunately, with my phone, I can only see the "Emergency Call" option and can't get access to any other functionality of the device. Tried doing a restore, but still can't get past the "Emergency Call" option. If anyone can direct me to a website that details what I need to do to make this work I'd be much obliged!

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
just drop the service on it, it will still have the phones functions, but will not do any of them. and wifi will still be available to use safari.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I'd also like to turn an old 1g iPhone into an iPod touch. Most people have said that it should be no problem, just a matter of removing the SIM card. Unfortunately, with my phone, I can only see the "Emergency Call" option and can't get access to any other functionality of the device. Tried doing a restore, but still can't get past the "Emergency Call" option. If anyone can direct me to a website that details what I need to do to make this work I'd be much obliged!
This happened to me. Put the SIM card back in and plug it into the computer again. If it tries to Sync, simply click the "x" on the tan part of iTunes where it shows the updates.

Then, the phone is "activated" because it finishes the restore process. After that, remove the SIM.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
trnsilver you are indeed correct.

The reason you can't get past the 'Emergency Call's' part is because the phone is simply not activated. Put your SIM card into the phone, plug it into iTunes. Set up as new phone.. and there you go, fully functional iPhone/touch (as you don't have a SIM in it.)

You also have to remember that the only way to get apps/download songs etc is to connect through wifi- as you wont have a cellular connection anymore.