iPhoners Vs iMoaners

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
It's been fascinating to watch the forum, the product, the people, the whole band wagon rolling through the launch and initial market reaction.

Generally the forum has provided a positive, helpful resource, where iPhone users have come to get questions answered, get tips, share experience, enrich the lives of the community as a whole.

There are however exceptions.

This product has attracted more than it's fair share of Trolls - they started off as blatant hate posts, then when they found the forum shutting them down, they moved to a more subtle approach that 'suggested' issues, and explored often extreme scenarios that showed up some deficiency in the iPhone.

Next, we've seen the rise of the iMoaners.

These people usually claim to have a phone, but then do nothing but post negative comments about features, lack of features, features which were never on the spec, or just negative iPhone Vs A N Other phone comparisons in general.

They almost never provide any positive input to the forum - they don't help people out with issues, they don't provide fixes, or get people set-up with their wi-fi or BlueTooth, they don't share tips and tricks or in fact, do anything to positively impact the forum and it's users in any way.

They almost always have cryptic user IDs, don't provide any link to offsite websites that could help ID them, and invariably post a negative post as their first ever posting on the forum.

Are some of these people Trolls? - Almost certainly.

Are they expressing their free speech - absolutely.

Are they contributing in any way to the accumulated knowledge and experience of the iPhone population - probably not.

Just a quick click on a poster's USERID will allow you to see all of the posts they've made to date.

I'd suggest that you take a look when you come across an iMoaner - it will help you to see patterns of behavior, and may save you wasting your time arguing a point with someone who makes a living out of bringing the iPhone down.

So let's support the iPhoners, ignore the iMoaners, and don't let the b@st@rds drag us down!

mullman

Jul 18, 2007
Actually I find this to be fairly typical of online forums.

Most of the posts are negative, followed by a few that are positive.

The reality is that most happy users of product X just do not search for an internet forum that they can log into and post satisfaction for said product.
Dissatisfaction is a stronger motivation. It appears to be a human thing :)

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

The reality is that most happy users of product X just do not search for an internet forum that they can log into and post satisfaction for said product.

Exactly. If you are happy with a product you usually don't go around telling the world about it, but if you hate it you want everyone to know that it is awful. You have have to take into account all the negative posts, I usually ignore about 75% of them and assume the other 25% are true.

But that is just me.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Good word play :)

I completely agree. If you see a complete bashing post and the user has only one post thats a good indicator

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
Thanks system

more people should use the thanks system b/c then it will be quick and easy to see who post good comments on the forums and who are the (imoaners)

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Welcome to an Apple based forum.

FYI - Apple users have been told for years that their company was on the edge of extinction, that they only had 5% market share and were insignificant, that they only existed at all because Bill got his checkbook out and purchased some non-voting stock back in the day....

It's thereforee understandable that these people are:

a) Somewhat defensive
b) Absolutely over the moon with Apple's rate of progress
c) Likely to effuse prolifically about the current and future Apple successes

'Apple Fanboy' is a term coined by the very people that would have you believe that Apple was a no hoper.

Just like any discriminatory term - it's spawned from their deep seated fear and their own personal insecurities.

It says far more about them than it says about Apple users.

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007

Right on, that's what I always say. That's why complaint/technical issue departments have more staff than Thank You departments. Wait, are there Thank You departments?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I think the idea that we are being inundated my an epidemic of imoaners is a myth. I'm not saying that they don't exist but the results of my experimental poll are quite telling. My poll should have attracted imoaners but in reality it attracted a plethora of what we see more often here I think, the fanboys.

So far, 49.99% of poll respondants think that NO ONE should complain about the iPhone.

THAT sure seems like Apple fanboyism to me. Doesn't it seem that way to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I think the idea that we are being inundated my an epidemic of imoaners is a myth. I'm not saying that they don't exist but the results of my experimental poll are quite telling. My poll should have attracted imoaners but in reality it attracted a plethora of what we see more often here I think, the fanboys.

So far, 49.99% of poll respondants think that NO ONE should complain about the iPhone.

THAT sure seems like Apple fanboyism to me. Doesn't it seem that way to you?
Ahhh, but the iMoaners only like to post in threads where they can either moan or co-moan.

Your vote thread probably didn't even register on their MoanDAR! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:

pounce

Jul 20, 2007
the poll didn't have the option i would have preferred to check. so the poll is more at fault than anything else. also, as i posted in an other thread, it comes down to whether the other comments were valid critical comments or just bashing. plenty of platform related comments, as well as uninformed bashing exists and is obnoxious to those here who actually have an iPhone and want to both best use it and discuss more fairly it's downsides. i don't think the iPhone is perfect, i look very forward to the expected software upgrade(s) which have the potential and likelyhood of addressing all of my issues. the impersonal nature of the internet can reveal peoples less polite tendencies, including to bash products and people in an impolite way that is also free from the shackles of reality and facts. so it creates a whole lot of posts and posters one is inclined to ignore. as always, forum members hope for the best signal to noise ratio in places like this. imoaners kind of worsen that ratio. or really i should say the trolls and ibashers.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
This is why I barely come to this forum anymore. It's becoming full of non-stop 24/7 moaning, whining, crying and bitching.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I agree with you guys! I love my iPhone and cannot stand these imoaners. I got myself banned for three days because I really broke it off in someone's wazoo whom was needlessly complainig about the (my) iPhone. Well I was wrong I guess but it was my passion with the iPhone that inticed my outburst. I love this thing!