iPhones damaged by sweat

Apr 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I’m a producer at 7News in Boston. I’m doing a story on iPhones and water damage. Specifically, iPhones that have been damaged by sweat because they were used at the gym.
As I’m sure you all know, one of the water damage sensors on the iPhone is near the headphone jack, rather than behind the battery, and can be tripped easier (than devices that have a sensor behind the battery).
Has this happened to anyone?
Thank you for your help!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hasn't happen to me nor have I hear any stories of such here on the forum. We have a lot of new folks though, so maybe someone will chime in.
Good luck with the story.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have actually wondered about this personally but I haven't heard any stories from people as of yet that have experienced this issue. A main concern of mine is the headphone sensor's susceptibility to rain drops. I'm always quite paranoid about a rain drop landing right in the headphone jack and tripping the sensor.

Best of luck with the story.

RevRoy

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
my boss took his to Apple for a warranty issue and they said it had water damage. He the proceeded to tell them that it had not been in water. The guy at Apple told hi that it could have been a drop of rain or even sweat.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There was a post last year about someone that had sweat travel down his headphone cord and got into the phone and triggered the sensor and when he had to go in for a problem, they told him he was SOL.
There are 2 things that the physical portion of the iPhone severely lack in.
1) functionality in different types of weather
If it's raining or even snowing, you really cannot risk using the phone outdoors for fear of getting that damn sensor wet. Also, cold fingers will have trouble working the touch screen. I experienced this during a cold snap just 2 weeks ago. I was outside smoking in the parking deck at work and was receiving a call. I was having a very difficult time with the "slide to answer" bar because my fingers were cold. I had to rub my finger against my leg to warm it up a little and then press rather hard to get it to register on the phone.
2) resistance to accidental damage.
I have heard quite a few stories about people that accidentally drop their phone less than 3 feet from a hard surface and have the glass shatter -and it didn't hit the glass. My opinion is that there are more of these claims with the 3G than the original iPhone, and I think it's due to the plastic bodies distributing the impact shock more than the aluminum ones.
I have also seen 3G's with no case or screen protection get scratched to the point of looking like the phone was used as a puck for street hockey. and this was over just a couple of months owning it. (the owner said that he has never dropped it, and that the scratches are from having the phone in the same pocket as other items such as keys or change)

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I've actually heard this multiple times on this forum. I don't work out with my phone. I bike and I'm always afraid I'll lose it so I don't run into it. I know of reading a few on here though like they run on tread mills and sweat drips off and what not.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's the only thread I ever remember seeing on this subject in my time here

And it's the only one that comes up with a google search "allinurl:everythingicafe sweat"

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
by the way, many more Apple devices use a water sensor at the bottom of the headphone jack. At least the last couple ipod nanos and ipod touches do too.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
by the way, many more Apple devices use a water sensor at the bottom of the headphone jack. At least the last couple ipod nanos and ipod touches do too.
Well, as opposed to the iPhone, the other devices essentially require the headphones be plugged in at all times, thus blocking off the sensor from a raindrop. The thing is, with the iPhone, it's usually just held against the ear leaving the headphone jack relatively exposed to the elements.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I saw some posts on one of the rumor sites about this.... cnet, macrumors or, TUAW a week or 2 ago, might want to look over there.

Apr 15, 2009
Boston, MA
There was a post last year about someone that had sweat travel down his headphone cord and got into the phone and triggered the sensor and when he had to go in for a problem, they told him he was SOL.

Hawk--Do you know who this person is? How to contact them?

seavercm

May 8, 2009
I actually just came back from the Apple store because my phone wasn't working properly. People couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them when I tried to use the phone, but it worked fine on speakerphone. After a Genius employee took a look and eventually restored it, he took it to the back and determined there was water damage, to which I was shocked. My wife actually had legitimate water damage to her iPhone in the past, so I've been extremely cautious about it.

He said that it must've been "submerged" in water because their sensors aren't overly sensitive. It was the sensor at the bottom, not the one near the earphones. He said he would gladly replace it for me at the discounted price of $199. I was so upset that I had to leave. I even came back a later and spoke to someone else, and got the same snipy response.

I've been trying to think about what could trigger this. I use my iPhone at the gym on a regular basis and have an armband that is often wet by the time I'm done. After researching, I believe the sensor has been triggered by sweat and mosture from the armband that rests near the bottom sensor. The problem is that the sensor is barely protected, which it makes easy to turn red if sweat comes in contact. I also found this article that looks at the sweat issue: http://www.click2houston.com/news/19114407/detail.html#-

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. The only thing that isn't working is the sound on the phone, and I can just put on speakerphone. My iPhone thinks the headphones are always plugged in, which isn't the case, but explains why I can't hear.
I've seen what real water damage can do, and this isn't it. But apparently, enough sweat can void your warranty.

Ughh...so frustrated.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Probably just someone looking at their iPhone will scratch it! jeez! this is the only probb i've had with my iPhones, they are mega fragile!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I sweat occasionally, and it rains outside, so I use an Otterbox Defender case. It may not get an A for style, but it gets an A+++++ for protection. I have never worried about that sensor going red, and if it does I will let Otterbox and Apple duke it out.

Apr 15, 2009
Boston, MA
link to iPhone water sensor story

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post.

My story on iPhone moisture sensor problems aired last night and will be on again today in our afternoon news between 4 and 6PM (on 7News in Boston, the NBC affiliate).
Here is the link if you would like to watch it online. Just click ‘watch the video’ at the top of the page.

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/specialreport/BO113028

Thanks again for contacting me, I hope this is the last of all of your iPhone issues.

Take care,

Laura Stebbins
Special Projects Producer
WHDH.TV - CW.56
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114
617-725-0769 (p)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Mine hasn't been damaged by sweat, however, i take my iPhone into the bathroom when im in the bath / shower and mine has been triggered by steam generated by a hot bath / shower. REALLY annoying, as i look after my phone and have definatly not dropped it in water!