iPhone's iPod showing 3.64GB in "other' category (Any ideas as to why?)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I have videos, music, photos on my iTunes and sync it with my iPhone. But, for some reason, as of yesterday, my iTunes did not recognize my phone. I also noticed that my ipod button on my phone showed I had no content. I figured it is because my "SwapTunes" app was messed up. But, everytime I toggled the swaptunes, it showed no content.
Anyhow, I restored it to the previous day's backup since I sync my iPhone everyday, but I now see 3.64GB in the other category. Seems like there is some stuff there (perhaps my old stuff). But, I can't see that stuff or access it. Looks like the swap tunes screwed it up or something. So, I uninstalled the swap tunes app but still the same.

So... does anyone know if I can use WinSCP to go to the "other" folder in the iPod function and delete what is in there? I take it my apps, OS files, etc... are considered to be other but there must be some movies/videos/pics in there that are taking up the additional 3GB of space.

Any ideas?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have videos, music, photos on my iTunes and sync it with my iPhone. But, for some reason, as of yesterday, my iTunes did not recognize my phone. I also noticed that my ipod button on my phone showed I had no content. I figured it is because my "SwapTunes" app was messed up. But, everytime I toggled the swaptunes, it showed no content.
Anyhow, I restored it to the previous day's backup since I sync my iPhone everyday, but I now see 3.64GB in the other category. Seems like there is some stuff there (perhaps my old stuff). But, I can't see that stuff or access it. Looks like the swap tunes screwed it up or something. So, I uninstalled the swap tunes app but still the same.

So... does anyone know if I can use WinSCP to go to the "other" folder in the iPod function and delete what is in there? I take it my apps, OS files, etc... are considered to be other but there must be some movies/videos/pics in there that are taking up the additional 3GB of space.

Any ideas?
Yes, it was very likely caused by SwapTunes. There is either one of both of the following folders left behind, and this is what is taking up the bulk of the Other category shown in iTunes:
/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_temp
/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control_2

Delete both of the above folders, if they exist (there should be at least one of them around).

--
Mike

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Do you know if there is a way to copy files from the iTunes_Control_2 group to the regular iTunes_Control group of files without copying it to your desktop and putting it back on the phone through the sync process?
The reason I ask is that I sync both at home and at work. My music is at home and my work forbits MP3's on the company computers. If I get an MP3 I want and I am at work I sync it to the phone then when I get home have to save it to the desktop, import it, blah blah blah. Would be much easier to sync it at work then copy it from the F0? folder to the one under Control_2 and then immediately remove it from my work computer.
If I manually put it into that folder on the phone it is not recognized so I assume there is a key file somewhere that tells it that the music file is present.
Same with video files.