iPhone's messing with my other electronics!

k412m4

Bronze
Mar 23, 2008
Ok, so this isn't a big issue, just think it's kind of bizarre.

When I plug my iPhone into it's USB my internet works fine. When I unplug it, my internet drops instantly, and I have to reset my network adapter. It's a Linksys. It's a little adapter that wirelessly connects my PC to the router. It's very useful. Please, anyone else having this issue post below.

Another thing. While my phone is charging from the power strip and I pull move my phone around to look at it and the white cord comes in contact with my comuters power cords or back of the computer, my computers shuts down instantly, and the lights on the front start blinking. Unplugging the PC and re-booting it puts it back to normal.

Oh, and before I forget. I also have a wireless Logitech mouse. When my phone is plugged in near my computer, my mouse pointer gets really sketchy and sometimes doesn't even move!

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else having weird issues with the phone causing other electronics to malfunction...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
thats well strange! i've got a wireless mouse, i sometimes find that when i'm close to my wireless router it jumps about like its got a mind of its own!

You say you were using an adapter!? is your router near metal like a computer desk, i cant remember where i read but having your router or wifi appliances near metal can really distort your signal and cause it to go daft! but as for the other stuff i really don't have a clue!

buy a mac, that'll fix your problem!

k412m4

Bronze
Mar 23, 2008

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
honestly i do not have a clue!

when you disconnect your iPhone what programmes do you usually have running except iTunes?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
That sounds like you have a short in a cable somewhere. Try replacing the cables one at a time. If you're using a laptop, try this without power plugged in.

Joe

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would also say it's some sort of a short in the wiring. I've heard of the GSM interference with radios and such, but never this much interference. Is everything plugged into the same power strip?

fourtheye28

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
When theres something strange, in your neighborhood,
who ya gonna call?

GHOSTBUSTERS!

Seriously though, you have ghosts in your house.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Sorry I can't help, but thats the strangest interference I've ever heard!

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The mouse thing makes sense. It's very normal since most technology now uses the 2.4 Ghz wireless range. I believe bluetooth, Wifi, Home wireless phones all use the same frequency (about) so it's normal to have interferance.

i don't know about the rest of it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
These are all USB devices. How many USB devices do you have? I have about 12 and it can be tricky to get them all to work. Even though USB theoretically supports "127 devices" that is a joke. It can easily go afoul.

Try disconnecting all USB devices, uninstalling the USB ports in XP's device manager, then rebooting. Allow XP to redetect your USB ports. Then start plugging things in one at a time... see if there are any obvious bad Apples. I would recommend your linksys first then your iPhone then other stuff (you know... priorities). Allow them all to redetect before connecting the next device and see if that helps.

I had an old computer with nightmare USB. I could never get everything going at the same time. In those cases, buying a quality multi-port powered hub can be a godsend. I have a 7-port one... cheap one even... I've lucked out, USB-wise since using it.

k412m4

Bronze
Mar 23, 2008
I've recently gone through that process of reinstalling all of my USB ports, but with no change.

I'll consider the "short in the wiring" a possible answer to this problem.

I'll check it out later.

And to answer the question "Are all of the cords plugged into the same power strip?" Yes, they all are. This may be the problem also.

I'm not home so I'll look these all over. It's nice to see I'm the only one experiencing this dilemma. I feel special..

Thanks for the help so far.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How are your USB ports set up and how many devices? any hubs?

k412m4

Bronze
Mar 23, 2008
6 ports. 2 in use for the Network Adapter and Mouse Receiver. No hubs.