iPhones most aggravating 'feature'.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnowCrash7, Mar 7, 2013.

1. SnowCrash7

SnowCrash7 New Member

Ok I have not been able to find any answer to this issue but I consider it probably the most annoying 'feature' of the iPhone. Ok lets say I am in the car and iPhone is enabled via BlueTooth.I finish a phone call and immediately iPhone starts blasting music through my cars stereo via BlueTooth.

Is there any way to keep that from happening?

Thanks

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The same thing would happen to me but it would blast in my ear (Bluetooth headset) instead of cars speakers. I disabled A2DP and that stopped it.

The only thing I can think of right now is switching sources on the head unit and setting it to AUX or something. Have you tried that? Does it automatically switch back to Bluetooth on its own?

3. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Are you playing music before the call? I'm confused why music would start up after a call. I use Bluetooth in my car for music and calls all the time and have never had any problem like this...

4. SnowCrash7

SnowCrash7 New Member

Sometimes I am playing music but it doesn't matter. For example, I can get into the car, start an iPhone GPS app, and when I stop the app, even though I was not playing music, it starts playing music. Weird thing is that I have other sound producing apps on my iPhone like white noise generators and even though I will have had that playing before getting in the car it wont automatically play in the car. Podcast players do.
    What I am reading is that I can try double clicking the bottom button which supposedly brings up all the apps running in the background and stop the music player. I will also try re-routing through aux though I believe that requires a hard wired connection. In the various forums I am reading that there is no 'cure' due to the nature of the BlueTooth connection between iPhone and, in my case, Sync in Ford. Apple should consider being pro-active and creating and installing an option to override that, if possible.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have a source button on the car's head unit (AUX, FM, CD and Bluetooth)? That's what I was referring to. It's faster and easier to switch sources than unlock the phone and stop the music.

6. SnowCrash7

SnowCrash7 New Member

Yes I have the buttons on the head unit with one for AUX. But if AUX is selected I'd have to connect the phone to the car with a wire.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wasn't suggesting to actually connect the phone via AUX and play music through it; I was just suggesting to switch sources as a quick way to stop the music. Then, when you're ready to listen to music, switch back to the Bluetooth source.

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

What a weird problem Since it doesn't do this with my Hyundai, I suspect it might be a glitch in your car's audio system.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not just his audio system. I think it's just how Bluetooth works on the iPhone. Myself and others have similar problems with Bluetooth in the car and we don't all have the same audio system. Bluetooth is kinda like our immune systems; it doesn't have a brain and it sometimes does things that are counterintuitive. I had to disable A2DP to stop music from blasting in my ear while I'm on a phone call when I connect to my car. It automatically assumes that since you are connecting to your car via USB while connected to the headset (for calls), you will want music to play and you will want it to come through the headset and not the car. Since it's not programmed with intelligence, it doesn't realize people want to hear the person they are talking to, and not have their voices be drowned out by music. If I wait to connect my phone to car until after the phone call ends, music will still default to the headset rather than the car. This is why I was forced to disable A2DP altogether.

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Sorry that's happening for you and the OP. I've experimented with many call/music setups in my car over the years with both my iPhone 4 and 5 and have never had this problem. If I'm listening to the radio via the head unit and get a phone call, I talk via BT (radio goes silent automatically), end the call, and my system goes right back to the radio, at the original volume. Same thing with streaming BT music or music via the AUX port. After the call, music will, in both setups, go back to the original volume. I also have never had the "phone automatically plays music after the call" problem either. A quick Google of the topic reveals many others have a similar complaint.

Not trying to diminish your concerns, but only to say that I'm not experiencing what you're describing. That must be frustrating.

11. SnowCrash7

SnowCrash7 New Member

OK I see. Yes I will try that. Interesting. Will let you know. Thanks

12. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I had this problem too, but I think I worked it out. Granted, my setup is probably different than yours but here's what worked for me.
    First, my phone is mounted in a dock, and plays directly into the stereo, so I'm not using BT to play music.
    After that is setup, but before I actually play music, I turn on my icon headset. If a call comes in, it goes to the headset, and then when I am done, music either resumes through the dock, or doesn't play at all and I hit the play button on my griffin Auto Pilot.
    If I turn on my headset with music already playing, it goes to my headset, but I change the source back to the dock and all is fine.
    I did have a BT adapter on the dock for a short time, but it didn't behave as you described either. The only problem I had was having two paired devices running. Sometimes it would drop one if the other was being used. Beyond that, it worked fine.

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That doesn't bother you? I wish it defaulted to dock instead of headset when connected to USB or AUX. I power my Jawbone on a lot while when I'm already playing music via USB because I want to make a call or I'm anticipating one, and the same thing happens to me. But there is no way I am going to deal with unlocking the phone and getting into the iPod app to switch it to dock *while* driving, so I had to disable A2DP. I never play music through it anyway, but it was nice for occasionally watching YouTube videos.

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Isn't there a JB app that lets you finesse your pairing?

uploadfromtaptalk1362966521408.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

15. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

This behavior will depend on the software in the system that is connecting to the iPhone. In my experience, the iPhone doesn't automatically start music unless you were playing it before the call began. It must be the radio assuming it needs to send a play command after the call ends. I've never used a Sync, so can't say for sure if this is what's going on.

Actually, I've seen several Android phones automatically resume music after a call ends, even when the head unit wasn't in Bluetooth source mode, wasn't sending it any play commands. Weird.

I have noticed since upgrading to iOS 6, if the iPhone is connected to both Bluetooth and dock connector, the music audio will stay on the dock connector until you send it a play command over Bluetooth. Then it will remain sending audio over Bluetooth, until you either disconnect it or manually switch it back with the audio output menu next to the volume control.