iPhones: Not amphibious...

natalie

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
Louisiana
www.myspace.com
So my iPhone went for a swim about 2 hrs ago. The music was still playing when I picked it up out of the water, and the touch screen worked but was slow.

Then seconds later it craps out. Screen goes frozen with an assortment of colorful lines.

I get a blower and blow the phone in all the little avalible holes... I tap on it a while and then my home screen comes back on.

The phone is able to turn on/off. The phone is keeping time, and I can even get the ipod to play with my headset plugged in. The phone also takes/keeps a charge. The only problem is the touch screen doesn't work.

Im wondering what I should do. Should I send it in to Apple and have then take a look at it?

The good thing about it, is that when it fell in the water, i had my iskin on. Which kept the water from getting into the headset hole and changing the color of the water tab.

Should I wait a couple days and see once its fully dry that the touch screen works?

Oh and btw.. im the new owner of a 16G as of 30min ago...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This same problem was posted awhile back. It was suggested that you put the phone in rice for a few days to let the moisture absorb out. Maybe someone will remember where the thread is located.
Just found the link. Check it out and good luck. Sorry to hear this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I heard that you can put it in a bowl of dry rice, or something else like that and it will suck up the water if you let it sit for a couple days. Safest bet is let it sit as long as possible to ensure that it dries out. Keep it off till you are sure it's ok to turn it on.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Sorry to hear about that. I've heard about the rice things as well, and as odd as it seems, it's been reported to work. Best of luck with it.

If it doesn't work, send it to Apple.

- John

May 6, 2007
United States
should i take the black back piece off to help with the drying? or will that void warranty?

also, does anyone know if theres a water indicator on the inside of the iPhone?

According to the aforelinked post, someone noted that there is a water indicator at the bottom of the headphone jack. Whether or not this is true is not up to me, but it seems completely reasonable to me.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Sorry to hear about that, hope it starts working agian!

LoL to the rice thing. I can see people carrying around little zipbag baggies full of rice around in their pockets.:p

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
don't take the back off. Some Apple stores check that. And if you send it to Apple theyll probably check too. My phone recently got wet and it worked but the sound died. I just took it to Apple for a replacement. didn't even bother to see if it would get dry, i wanted a new phone.

Jul 8, 2007
Rice?

Make sure to close the headphone jack off... a couple of people on here got a piece of rice wedged in the headphone jack and it swelled up from moisture and they couldn't get it out... also... HOW do people drop their iPhone in the toilet? Leave it out of the bathroom! PLEASE! :)