iPhone's screen

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

andre000

Mar 17, 2007
Hey everybody.

Often, I read many are concerned that the iPhone's screen may be easily scratched. It's understandable, it's an investment, and many still remember the original nano issue. If you looked at it too hard, it scratched.

I remember reading however (I don't have the link) that Apple had applied for a patent on using a ceramic/polymer(?) media to use in the manufacturing of a communication device.

Several years ago, I made a suggestion on Apple's web site that they consider using a ceramic material for their ipods. The same material used in Rado watches. I own a Rado watch. They are beautiful and nearly impossible to scratch. It is diamond hard. The only way to scratch it is dragging it against corborundum or something harder.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what substance the screen is made of. If Apple did use this substance for the screen, rest assured, it will be extremely durable.

Anyone know anything.

Let us know.

:cool:

andre000

Mar 17, 2007
As long as it dosnt get too scratched Ill be happy.
If the blog that wot_fan directs us to is accurate, and if the material is similar to what they use in expensive watches, e.g. Rado, I don't think you'll have too much to worry about in the way of scratches. It is easy to smudge, but a quick wipe off and it's pristine again (almost.) At least the iPhone's bezel appears to flush witht the screen, so you won't get any face grease trapped along the rim. The smartphone I have now has that problem. Ugh!
:mad:

p9939068

Bronze
Apr 19, 2007
are there any current phones with the same display dimensions as the iPhone? I hope it's not difficult to get a screen protector the moment it's released.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
are there any current phones with the same display dimensions as the iPhone? I hope it's not difficult to get a screen protector the moment it's released.
Just buy a screen protector that is for a device with a larger screen and cut it down to size. This is what I do for my Nano and it works fine. My only concern is how a screen protector will affect the responsiveness of the multi-touch screen.

nakdash

Jun 30, 2007
I just got my iPhone! (thank god for the Apple store near my house!)
I was just about to buy a screen protector built for the iPhone online, but then i thought of what would happen with the "pinch" option for the zooms.
hmm.....

(btw, i effing love this thing!)

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I'm not concerned as I will be careful and it only has to last until iPhone ver 2.0. Then I'm dumping it on eBay as the next version will be greatly improved and a real keeper.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Don't know if you guys had seen this yet, but this speaks A LOT to the durability of the screen. Engadget posted this about some super rough tests done to the iPhone to try and jack up the screen (like putting it in a bag full of keychains and shaking; dropping from heights of 6ft, etc)... it came out with no scratches to the screen!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/30/iphone-stress-test-how-did-it-do/

...Kind of sickening to see them doing those things to the iPhone, but nice to see the results ;)