iPhones SIM card in other phones?

LTownBrodown

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Landrum, South Carolina
i was just wondering... say i got a unlocked blackberry... would the iPhones sim chip work for the phone? would i be able to use all the features like web browser and email or will it not work since the iPhone uses a different data plan?

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I removed the sim chip from my iPhone (just for kicks) to try in my other new phones and a couple new smartphones, one of which is a BlackBerry Curve.

The iPhone sim chip allows you to make calls and send text, but it disables the web access, email access in any other AT&T or unlocked phone.

I have 3 lines with AT&T, and when I move a "regular" sim chip, between the BlackBerry and my 3G RAZR V3xx, they both have web access, email and all other features.

So this failure of the iPhone sim chip to provide full services is something proprietary. However I really don't care as I have the other lines and sim chips to move to any of my other unlocked phones and everything is fine.

However to be fair, I should say that I knew this in advance and when I bought my iPhone I got a new line with it just to be safe and know that I could leave the special iPhone chip in the iPhone itself.

No Problem. As an ongoing Apple customer I am used to their practice of making their products proprietary.

It costs the customer a lot more, but it also keeps the quality up. There is a price for everything. Apple is a premium product at a premium price. That's fair.