iPhones unreliable?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 1, 2007
London
Im doing a project in England about the iPhone, and since its not out over here yet:mad: I haven't really got anything to go on. but... have seen ALOT of ppl posting problems on this site.
Has anyone got any good stuff to say about the phone?
your help would be cool
Thanks

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Im doing a project in England about the iPhone, and since its not out over here yet:mad: I haven't really got anything to go on. but... have seen ALOT of ppl posting problems on this site.
Has anyone got any good stuff to say about the phone?
your help would be cool
Thanks
The phone is a great piece of equipment with a very sleek and efficient design. The postings that you see on this site and others are not intended to indicate that the iPhone is a bad design or has considerable problems. Compared to most phones, even smartphones or PDA phones, it is one of the best available. There are some problems with the phone functioning 100% when the phone is altered from Apples initial design and that is a lot of what you will see on this site. Problems with modifications or aftermarket software but the initial design of the phone and the basic functionality of the phone is very good and reliable.

Nov 1, 2007
London
The phone is a great piece of equipment with a very sleek and efficient design. The postings that you see on this site and others are not intended to indicate that the iPhone is a bad design or has considerable problems. Compared to most phones, even smartphones or PDA phones, it is one of the best available. There are some problems with the phone functioning 100% when the phone is altered from Apples initial design and that is a lot of what you will see on this site. Problems with modifications or aftermarket software but the initial design of the phone and the basic functionality of the phone is very good and reliable.
You don't work for Apple do you? lol :laugh2:
finding very few ppl that are really pleased with it.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
You don't work for Apple do you? lol :laugh2:
finding very few ppl that are really pleased with it.
No, I just like the ability to have a lot of the functions that I have with one of my laptops built into my phone. I don't use the headset very often (which appears to be a bad point on the phone because of the quality of the stock headset). I use the phone for mostly businesss related tasks and news reading. I have an Ipod and an XM radio so don't really use the music features built into the phone. My views on the reliability on the phone is based mainly on the phone functioning as a phone as expected, the use of Safari to reach websites on the fly and RSS feeds as well as the ability to have direct access to information such as all my emails and contacts/calendars at a moments notice. In the situations that I need the phones ability to function perfectly in the areas that I use it mainly it has met and exceeded my needs. There may be other areas such as connecting to car stereos, playing music and video, connecting to You Tube, etc.. that I use rarely that may not function as people wish it did but these are not areas that I use all the time so have not experienced problems with the phone.

Most of the problems that I have seen people post about all deal with modding the phone, unlocking the phone, problems with changing ringtones and themes, or getting a specific program to install and work. All of these are not truly related to the basic and intended function of the phone so shouldn't be considered when evaluating the phone just as the phone was intended to be used by Apple. But those abilities are also one of the main reasons this phone is so good also. The ability to expand the phone beyond the limited functions that Apple built into it makes this such a great product in my opinion.

Nov 1, 2007
London
No, I just like the ability to have a lot of the functions that I have with one of my laptops built into my phone. I don't use the headset very often (which appears to be a bad point on the phone because of the quality of the stock headset). I use the phone for mostly businesss related tasks and news reading. I have an Ipod and an XM radio so don't really use the music features built into the phone. My views on the reliability on the phone is based mainly on the phone functioning as a phone as expected, the use of Safari to reach websites on the fly and RSS feeds as well as the ability to have direct access to information such as all my emails and contacts/calendars at a moments notice. In the situations that I need the phones ability to function perfectly in the areas that I use it mainly it has met and exceeded my needs. There may be other areas such as connecting to car stereos, playing music and video, connecting to You Tube, etc.. that I use rarely that may not function as people wish it did but these are not areas that I use all the time so have not experienced problems with the phone.

Most of the problems that I have seen people post about all deal with modding the phone, unlocking the phone, problems with changing ringtones and themes, or getting a specific program to install and work. All of these are not truly related to the basic and intended function of the phone so shouldn't be considered when evaluating the phone just as the phone was intended to be used by Apple. But those abilities are also one of the main reasons this phone is so good also. The ability to expand the phone beyond the limited functions that Apple built into it makes this such a great product in my opinion.
OK cool, so its just as good as a PDA or better even. So do you think if i buy one from the U.S. and try using it over here it would work? would like to use one in my project, and see what they are like for myself. Thanks for that info tho, it helps a lot.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
OK cool, so its just as good as a PDA or better even. So do you think if i buy one from the U.S. and try using it over here it would work? would like to use one in my project, and see what they are like for myself. Thanks for that info tho, it helps a lot.
I have not heard the specific date but I heard that they are due to be released in the UK soon. I would just wait for the official release and then look into getting one. There are several posts from people who have bought them on Ebay and had them shipped to them but I don't really know much about how that has worked for everyone. I would do some browsing and see what others have said about that and unlocking the phone to work in the UK.

jiggles

Jul 25, 2007
The iPhone is released on the UK next Friday, 9th November at 6.02pm. You can buy them from O2 stores, Carphone Warehouse or Apple stores.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Something else to keep in mind is that user sites like this always magnify problems. Folks generally only come to these sites when they are having a problem. The whole hack/mod issue only makes it look worse.

Just keep in mind that this site represents only a tiny fraction of the 1+ million people who own iPhones. Most owners are blissfully unaware that EIP even exists.

FWIW my iPhone has proved very reliable. While there might be some things I would change about it (or add to it) I still feel it's by far the best all-in-one consumer communications product on the market today.

chodi

Oct 30, 2007
I traded my Nokia N95 for the iPhone. I agree that most of what you see on the forums are people having problems. I also agree that it is a very small percentage of the whole. I love this phone and find it much more than a phone. It is like a portable multimedia computer. Mine is unlocked and I use it on a network in my home town in Thailand. The phone works flawlessly. I had one issue with the standard vibration being too short and modified that easily with information from one of the forums. No other issues with the phone. It suits my lifestyle for work and play far better than the N95. I can actually browse the web, receive and send email and listen to great music while enjoying a full featured phone. Apple has sold over a million of these so sure, some people are going to experience problems like any other manufacturer.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I could write books on good things about the iPhone. But that's me. Other people could write books on how the iPhone sucks.

The same goes with everything, though. Depending on your point of view, you'll decide if something is good or not.

If you ask me, the iPhone is truly amazing. Like everything Apple makes, the interface and design is stunning. It runs smoothly (when un-modded) functions very well, and overall is amazing. Yes, there is the occasional crash or bug, but this is the same with everything.