iPhones YouTube handicaped?

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I can't find my videos on iPhones youtube but if I use safari, my videos show up. I'm also unable to watch videos from the youtube website. Is this some sort of filtering system for iPhones?

Muncle

Jul 16, 2007
Texas
I can't find my videos on iPhones youtube but if I use safari, my videos show up. I'm also unable to watch videos from the youtube website. Is this some sort of filtering system for iPhones?
youtube is in the process of converting the videos to the approriate format for the iPhone.

wait a few months, and all the videos should be up!

AllanGT

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Dallas
I think YouTube is working on converting all of the videos to be viewed from the iPhone. For now though, only certain vids will be found in search from the YouTube app, and there is no Flash support on the iPhone so we aren't able to view them via YouTube.com

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Yup.

As posted everywhere... iPhone web browser doesn't have a Java virtual machine to run Java apps, nor does it have an Adobe Flash plugin to play flash animations.

YouTube is converting old FLV (flash video) files to H.264 (standard MPEG 4 video), so eventually you'll have all of youtube available without requiring a flash plugin.

DiBxna

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
in scottsdale, AZ
www.myspace.com
im actually on my second iPhone...

the first ones youtube feature was messed up.... if i was on a wifi connection it would play audio just fine, but the visual video portion was like a strobe light of neon colors...

took it to Apple after many hours on the 800myiPhone tech support... and they basically said "weve never heard of this problem" so i got a new one free...

so if your phone is doing that lol... go get a dif one!

mrsackler

Jul 18, 2007
[RANT]
By granting users the ability the run flash and java apps on their iPhone, they would effectively be giving you what you paid for, which is unacceptable to Apple. Giving users too much leeway in the applications they can run will circumvent Apple's deal with AT&T. You'd be able to do all kinds of things, like look at any youtube vids with no modification necessary, or use a web based voip softphone to make calls over wifi or possibly EDGE. Send instant messages on any network you like, and avoid paying SMS tolls.

The possibilities are endless. Instead they've decided to screw us and make us think we're actually getting a good deal. Instead of getting a fully featured browser for $600, you get a severely and permanently crippled browser that forces you to keep shelling our dollars to Apple and AT&T for as long as they like. It also eliminates competition, and Apple can o.k. whatever apps they like
and charge whatever they like for them, with no incentive to make things better.

Competition among developers and service providers is what drives prices down and forces competitors to strive to create better products for their customers. And what if you're a developer yourself? Then you have to PAY someone else to develop useful applications for your device.
[/RANT]

Obviously I feel pretty strongly about this. I know there are many ways in which this policy could benefit iPhone users, and I truly hope that is true. I must admit that in spite of all these shortcomings, my iPhone's dead pixels and AT&T/Apples unwillingness to replace it, and the fact that I cannot access any messenger services or web-based apps, the iPhone is still the best mobile phone on the market right now even with it's limited functionality.