iPhoto vs Photos

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by bballrob, Jun 10, 2015.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So, I haven't paid much attention since they added Photos app to OS X, and I still have iPhoto.

Can anyone tell me the major differences, and would I be better off to start using Photos? I started to do so on a whim the other day, but when it went to migrate my photos, there wasn't enough disk space available to facilitate the migration. I have now fixed that problem, but thought I'd inquire here before going any further.

2. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

If you're an iPhoto user you'll benefit from moving to Photos. Better organization, better editing tools and much faster. If you're an Aperture user...you're screwed since Photos is a downgrade for the most part. That isn't to say that Apple won't continually enhance Photos as time goes on to get it closer to Aperture but the problem is that nobody knows for sure. Lots of Aperture power users have moved to LR or Capture One Pro 8. Sigh. At this point Aperture still works on Yosemite but Apple has made it clear there will be no more Aperture updates so who knows, El Capitan may break Aperture and that would be the end of it. We'll see. I bet Aperture will still work in 10.11 but after that it's a crap shoot.

3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I saw the writing on the wall months ago and switched from Aperture to LightRoom. In the balance, I think LR is a much better program and I'm happy with the results.