Iphysics Levels Fix

kenny

Nov 24, 2007
Can anyone tell me how to fix the Iphysics level fix? The repo.tiny-code.com is no longer offering the fix. I have not used SSH and not quite sure what it is/can do. Thanks guys!

Kenny

kenny

Nov 24, 2007
"Manually fix iPhysics:

iPhyics Level Fix for firmware 1.1.3
This fix performs the following UNIX commands on install and reinstall to set the right ownership of the iPhysics data folder.

chown -R mobile:mobile /private/var/root/Media/iPhysics

This way when you launch iPhysics as the user mobile it can read the levels."

I imagine you are refering to the above post.... but still don't understand where to apply the manual fix..... something in a bit more simplified terms or some step by step instructions please!

By the way, iphysics is worth the download and is fun... challenging and interesting:cool:

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about. Is this something you need a pc for?

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about. Is this something you need a pc for?
Its also possible to do this right from your iPhone using vterm also. I'd love to explain in detail but its pretty hard from my phone.

kenny

Nov 24, 2007
x666x-

Please do! We would love to unconfuse the confused!

Kenny

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
x666x-

Please do! We would love to unconfuse the confused!

Kenny
If you haven't figured it out by the evening, I'll try posting from my phone. I'm in line for pirates of the carribean right now, lol. Was in the handed mansion line during my previous post.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I just couldn't find vterm. Maybe if I fond that I could figure it out. Is that in installer?

kenny

Nov 24, 2007
thanks x666x- I'll be waiting. Until then enjoy your disneyland trip!

As for vterm, I'm not sure what that is either. Ill just wait for x666x

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
You can use VT100 (vterm) on the iPhone to enter the command line fix for iPhyics.

Or you can use WinSCP. My suggestion is this: if you're going to have to learn a whole new iPhone hacking concept anyway, you might as well learn WinSCP, since it will allow you a wide variety of additional functions as well. Here's a tutorial to get started:

http://limitededitioniphone.com/windows-guide-to-using-winscp-with-iphone/

Please note: you will need to use Installer on the iPhone to install 1)BSD Subsystem, 2) OpenSSH, and 3)BossPrefs (or, alternatively, "Services"). Then - on your desktop computer - download and install WinSCP.

Here are a couple of tips that seem to trip people up: make sure you have OpenSSH set to ON in order to use WinSCP to log on to your iPhone. You can use BossPrefs to make sure OpenSSH is ON. Next, make sure your WiFi connection is ON. Then, on your iPhone, go to Settings--> General--> Auto-Lock and set it to "Never". This last tip is the one that would drive me nuts...I had my iPhone set to auto-lock after one minute, and it was constantly disconnecting (or preventing) my connection via WinSCP.

After all this, follow the tutorial in the link above to use WinSCP to connect to your iPhone. You can drag and drop files via the directory trees you see in WinSCP. When you see posts on this forum about "setting permissions", you accomplish that by right clicking on a directory, choosing Properties, and then changing the "Octal" value (usually to 0755).

Finally, you can fix iPhysics by opening a terminal session in WinSCP. Click on the little black-ish colored icon just below the menu word "Session" in WinSCP. Enter the command
chown -R mobile:mobile /private/var/root/Media/iPhysics
into the box labelled "Enter command" (actually, I just cut and paste this command since I'm lazy), then click "Execute". You're done. You can close the terminal session. Note that if you add additional iPhysics levels at a later date, you will also need to re-execute this chown command fix in order for iPhysics to "see" the new levels.

Also note: the terminal session that you opened via WinSCP on your desktop is basically the same as the terminal session you would open on the iPhone itself using the VT100 (aka vterm) app. I personally think it is wayyyy easier to issue command line commands with a full desktop keyboard then it is on the iPhone keyboard.

Finally, if you want to add additional iPhysics levels, you need to add the following source to Installer:
iPhone.r4m0n.net/repos

Note that it is case sensitive, and it is "r", "#4", "m", "#0", "n"

Once you've properly added this source and the sources have refreshed, you will see a new Category called "iPhysics". Tap on the category, and you will see a buttload of new levels to add to iPhysics.

How do you add a new source to Installer? See this link:
http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/Install_Rogue_Sources

Whew, I'm exhausted! I'm not gonna lie, this post was a lot of work. I'm hoping I score a couple of "thank you" clicks below! :) heh heh. :)

kenny

Nov 24, 2007
wow.... thank you.... i will gather up the courage to try and then hack.... really appreciate it..... will let you know how it goes.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
imagine typing all that on the phone just to have safari crash at the end.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
imagine typing all that on the phone just to have safari crash at the end.
My thoughts exactly. I was relieved to see that post when I got to the hotel room later that night. Plus, I'm on edge LOL.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
My thoughts exactly. I was relieved to see that post when I got to the hotel room later that night. Plus, I'm on edge LOL.
There's irony in the fact that your on edge when your actually...on edge.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
still can't see newly installed levels?

I did the chown fix and was able to then see ipinball. My problem is that any new level install does not show up? I don't get an error during install, but I don't see where any new levels are put? Is there a certain order that you need to follow when installing levels?

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Well, its probably a little too late now, but i've added iPhysFix999 to my Installer Source.

Once installed it will automatically set the ownership for you, and when uninstalled it reverts it back to the original Root setting.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Well, its probably a little too late now, but i've added iPhysFix999 to my Installer Source.

Once installed it will automatically set the ownership for you, and when uninstalled it reverts it back to the original Root setting.
I think I will give it a try and uninstall and reinstall with your fix. Where do I find your Installer Source to add?

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I did the chown fix and was able to then see ipinball. My problem is that any new level install does not show up? I don't get an error during install, but I don't see where any new levels are put? Is there a certain order that you need to follow when installing levels?
As I noted in my earlier, rather lengthy post, you need to run chown fix every time you add new levels.

I haven't tried x666x's fix, but it looks like that ought to work, too. And simpler.

Good question: hey x666x...what is your Installer source?

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
As I noted in my earlier, rather lengthy post, you need to run chown fix every time you add new levels.

I haven't tried x666x's fix, but it looks like that ought to work, too. And simpler.

Good question: hey x666x...what is your Installer source?
Thanks for pointing that out, once I re-did the chown, the other levels I had installed showed up. I had read your original post, just missed this detail. Thanks again....