iPod Classic Hard drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod Classic' started by fijiman, Jul 4, 2014.

1. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Decided buy off eBay some iPod Classics, a 4th,5th and 7th generation model. All 3 models were dirt cheap as they were listed under the "spares and repairs" banner due to suspected hard drive failures, the idea was to trash the hard drives and fit new/used solid state alternatives. the 7th generation iPod is now sporting a 250GB compact flash memory card ( which was obtained very very cheaply off eBay as a "used" item). The 5th generation Classic has only a 32 GB SD card (SDHC) which is housed in a SD to Compact flash adapter. For those with deep pockets a 1TB iPod Classic is under development. The more the price of memory drops more chances to give the iPod Classic a new lease of life. The 4th gen iPod will eventually get a modest hard drive upgrade plus I plan to fit a Bluetooth module..

IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0205.JPG

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

How hard is it to replace the hard drive. I have an old iPod that was my wife's.. completely crapped out a few years back.

3. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

There are a lot of "How to" vids on YouTube on opening the classic.... I found the 7th gen model the toughest as they seem to have locking tangs holding down the screen....bought the cheapest opening plastic tools on eBay to minimize any damage.....if you plan to open your classic maybe swap out the battery(if required) or replace the metal back cover(if badly scratched or dented). The price for these parts were incredibly cheap on eBay, doubtful they were genuine parts lol.

4. Dan

Dan New Member

1TB Done.

1TB RWA iMod.jpg