iPod classic sound degradation?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

KeziaPurrs

Bronze
Mar 18, 2013
Houston, TX
Does iPod classic music clarity and quality of music degrade over time? I've noticed that my music seems to be sounding tinny and the bass sounds terrible. If I were to format it and reload the music would it sound better, or is this a totally stupid idea? Thanks in advance for any help.

Lisa

Sent from iPad Mini-Me using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think the iPod classic has a speaker, so I assume you're referring to the headphones. The music quality shouldn't degrade over time because it's digital. The headphones might be going bad. You could try restoring, but it's unlikely that it will help. Have you tested it with other headphones?

KeziaPurrs

Bronze
Mar 18, 2013
Houston, TX
Actually I use it in my car through direct link to my stereo and inside with a little boom box. There is an internal hard drive in the classic, right. Could it wear from hundreds of hours of use? Just a thought.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, it's a hard drive, but the music is digital and doesn't degrade over time.

Do you notice a difference when you play music through your iPad mini?

KeziaPurrs

Bronze
Mar 18, 2013
Houston, TX
I just got the mini and haven't used it for music yet. I'll try it though. Thanks for your responses. You're always so helpful.

Lisa

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're welcome. :) Yeah, give that a try and let me know. If the music sounds better when played through the iPad mini in the car, you could always try restoring the iPod classic.