iPod dock work for 3G?

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
i got a JBL iPod dock with speakers for the patio. wondering if the connection on there will fit the 3g. i was looking up chargers for the 3g and it looks a tad different than the connection on the docking station. :mad:

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
i got a JBL iPod dock with speakers for the patio. wondering if the connection on there will fit the 3g. i was looking up chargers for the 3g and it looks a tad different than the connection on the docking station. :mad:
your best bet would be to contact JBL and ask them do they have a 3g adapter. Have you used these speakers with an iPhone before?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I don't see how the iPhone dock wont work with the iPhone 3G ? The connector is big enough so when it snaps into the phone, it should hold it up just fine. Unless the iPhone3G just wont physically fit into the space on the dock.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
i do not have an iPhone to test, only an ipod we just got. heh.

and i wasn't refering to the size fitting, more so the adapter's fitting together.

hows this... will the bottom(charging area) be the same v1 to v2?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i do not have an iPhone to test, only an ipod we just got. heh.

and i wasn't refering to the size fitting, more so the adapter's fitting together.

hows this... will the bottom(charging area) be the same v1 to v2?
Most likely they will remain the same. It's still the same between the iPod and the V1 iPhone, so I can't see them suddenly alienating just one product.

As far as the actual white plastic dock... I don't think it will fit due to the 3G iPhone going from skinnier to fatter on the backside than the V1 iphone- which pretty much stays flat.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
i would assume so, but i saw somewhere about them changing the charging adapter or something.. was just something that stuck in my head..

hey, question.. are you guys on your pc or mac? or are you on your iPhones when responding to me? seems like all posts and topics i reply in always get responsed within 3-7 min ALWAYS.. kinda cool though, no other forums are like that.. i am a huge RC Truck guy and all over a few forums.. but this one is the first where you can expect a response within 10 min, guarenteed.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm a PC guy, and I can usually respond from my desk at work.
The thing about the charger changing might be refering to the wall plug. That has changed.

BTW, Sorry for the delay. definitely not 10 minutes. I guess your next post is free...;)

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Im on PC also (though i wish i was on a mac)
The iPhone 3g might not fit physically unless you have an adapter (just a piece of plastic) otherwise its fine because it uses the same 30 pin plug that the ipods/v1 iPhone uses.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I saw that too. I wish they would explain it a little more though.
I assume it's an adapter that you can put on your v1 iPhone dock to make it 3G compatible. And it comes in a 3-pack of adapters so if you have other docks around your house or at work, it'll convert those too.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I assume it's an adapter that you can put on your v1 iPhone dock to make it 3G compatible. And it comes in a 3-pack of adapters so if you have other docks around your house or at work, it'll convert those too.
wont they have actually iPhone 3G docks to buy?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There won't be an adapter to make a v1 dock accept a v2 phone. There isn't enough space for an adapter to fit.Undoubtably, there will be an adapter for the universal dock, but thats about it for adapters.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
well, thanks for all the info people. cant wait for friday!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
There won't be an adapter to make a v1 dock accept a v2 phone. There isn't enough space for an adapter to fit.Undoubtably, there will be an adapter for the universal dock, but thats about it for adapters.
Oh I was hoping that's what the adapters were for. So, it's for the universal docks. :(

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
it uses the same 30 pin plug that the ipods/v1 iPhone uses.
I think this best answers the question of the OP. As long as there's enough space to get the 3G all the way down on the plug, it will work just like an iPod or iPhone v1.