iPod iPod touch issues with Getting email setup for Exchange 2007...

markm75

Jan 22, 2008
We run an Exchange 2007 email server at our businesss (I handle the IT).. I have one user who has an ipod iPod touch device.. we've tried setting up the email under "Exchange" type on his device.. i cant get it to connect or work or download any email..

Mind you.. this is all done when behind the firewall.. so opening of ports shouldnt be an issue.. though i've gone ahead and opened 993 UDP as a start...

We put in the typical settings.. using the incoming SSL connection name as wan1.ourdomain.com, which is the mx record equivalent..

For user name.. we've tried both just the user name by itself and domain\username neither resulted in success..

Both IMAP on the Exchange 2007 server and the accounts are enabled.

I cant figure out why it simply wont work...

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

densedog

Jan 23, 2008
I have the same problem. I saw something about a certificate in another post. I have tried all combinations of domain/user, user@domain, ssl, no ssl, etc... How would I get the cert on the phone?

Thanks,
Barry

ansoninc

Feb 1, 2008
Same problem

Was anyone one able to find a solution to this problem yet? I have the same problem.
Thanks

Burkey

Mar 9, 2008
Same problem here, I think. I can get my mail to come in but I can't reply or send a new email. Unfortunately where I work the IT department tends to think that any PDA or similar portable device with email is an unnatural act and tends to avoid helping users out. One of the IT staff who's new did help me out and we did get it going on my work site but from outside it still won't send and cycles endlessly attempting to send .
The email feature on the Touch has some nice features and I am aware of the Exchange support coming in the future but I'd really like to get it working now. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thnaks in advance.
. . . Burkey

felixkat

Mar 11, 2008
possible solution....

Hi Guys,

I have just signed up to post an answer for you, (possibly).

I bought a ipod touch for my girlfriends birthday and I run Exchange 2007 at home in a test environment. I wanted to link the touch up to exchange and couldn't find any help or answers anywhere. All the setting I was trying were constantly being rejected by the touch.

To make things simple I worked on the basis of connecting the touch in the internal LAN without SSL, (working on the basis that when I get it working I'll implement the SSL \ External access later).

Well..... fight fight fight, I just couldn't get the bloody thing working !

My exchange server, (2007), was running the base install so I decided to install Service Pack 1 on it.

Hey presto, the touch started working straight away. Now this might not be a viable solution for everybody and it may not necessarily work for them... But I thought I would sign up and make the suggestion purely due to the lack of knowledge on the web.

You cannot see if IMAP is enabled per user basis on the base install of Exchange 2007. Well you can but you have to check via the Exchange command line. Once SP1 is installed you can check via the GUI.

Now I haven't set up the "sending of mail" yet but I'm working on that now. Once it's up and running I'll try and post a walkthrough.

Regards

Aug 8, 2008
I am also running an exchange server and cannot get the iPod touch to retrieve or send an email. I was able to email the certificate to the iPod touch--even asks if I want to install the certificate. When I click "Install" it returns an error "The root certificate could not be installed". When I look at the log on the server, I can see that the iPod touch is hitting the server, so I am sure it is a certificate problem. We also have serveral BlackJakII's and the certificate works for them without a problem. Tried Apple tech--what a joke--my kids know more than they do. Does anyone have any other thoughts on getting a certificate to work? Thanks--

dncj015

Aug 13, 2008
A solution that works....

I felt bad... so I signed up just to answer this for all you ipod wackos... hahaha...

You can easily sign up for Gmail (the best email out there)

Then you can map your exchange system to that. It will respond back to just those through those systems.

This will give you a pop account that will work with your exchange system.

Go to Gmail, sign up, click on settings, then click accounts....

add as many emails as you want... gmail will auto pull them for you and push them all to your cute little iPhone/iPod touch....

have fun... don't poke your eye out.

We run an Exchange 2007 email server at our businesss (I handle the IT).. I have one user who has an ipod iPod touch device.. we've tried setting up the email under "Exchange" type on his device.. i cant get it to connect or work or download any email..

Mind you.. this is all done when behind the firewall.. so opening of ports shouldnt be an issue.. though i've gone ahead and opened 993 UDP as a start...

We put in the typical settings.. using the incoming SSL connection name as wan1.ourdomain.com, which is the mx record equivalent..

For user name.. we've tried both just the user name by itself and domain\username neither resulted in success..

Both IMAP on the Exchange 2007 server and the accounts are enabled.

I cant figure out why it simply wont work...

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

willie55

Feb 6, 2009
I got this to work - need OWA I believe. I have already opened ports 993 & 143 to get an iPhone to work on our network.

email - email address
server - owa server owa.yourcompany.com
domain - leave blank!
username - user@domain - fully qualified name or OWA login name.
Use SSL - ON